Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How much data does a typical Valley Pass game use?

I’ll have to use mobile data for the Reading game.
Are we talking 1gb? 2gb?

Comments

• Options
    Can't you go somewhere with free wifi like Weatherspoons?
  • Options
    You’re looking at about 1.5gb based on 720p 
  • Options
    No more than 0.5gb I think. I always use mobile data, and though on a limited contract have no worries about it.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    No more than 0.5gb I think. I always use mobile data, and though on a limited contract have no worries about it.
    I’m guessing you watched it on 240 or 320? 90min stream at 720p will surely use more than that? 

Pretty sure average video uses 1gb of data per hour at standard HD, which is 720p.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I’m guessing you watched it on 240 or 320? 90min stream at 720p will surely use more than that? 

Pretty sure average video uses 1gb of data per hour at standard HD, which is 720p.
    1080p is standard HD.

The options are 320, 480, 720. I believe 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

1080p is standard HD.

720p is standard HD? Or do I need to go back to school? I’m genuinely convinced 720p is HD. 
  • Options
    Can't you go somewhere with free wifi like Weatherspoons?
    I’m in NZ and game kicks off at 11.30pm local time.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

1080p is standard HD.

720p is standard HD? Or do I need to go back to school? I’m genuinely convinced 720p is HD. 
    I thought 720 was standard HD and 1080 full HD.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

1080p is standard HD.

It sure is. 1280p is full HD.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Whatever hesgoals (or other illicit streaming provider) gives me it at is my answer. Never a problem. If it was over 0.5gb I'd be worried but it never is and picture is fine, whether the feed is from Sky or Ifollow or whatever else.
  • Options
    Whatever hesgoals (or other illicit streaming provider) gives me it at is my answer. Never a problem. If it was over 0.5gb I'd be worried but it never is and picture is fine, whether the feed is from Sky or Ifollow or whatever else.
    I think (but not sure) that dodgy streams use less data, due to slightly lower quality video 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Just to confirm, data usage from watching the Huddersfield v Luton game tonight on mobile date, I used a total of 490kb over 2 hours. That included the half time ads, which i usually skip, and 7 mins of injury time. Usage rate around 60k per 15 minute segment. This was for a Sky feed to hesgoals, tethered to a laptop. Picture quality absolutely fine, standard definition  I assume.
    I hope that's something of a guide for you @Danepak . (I don't know if ifollow is an HD service, which would of course ramp up the data quite considerably)
  • Options
    Just to confirm, data usage from watching the Huddersfield v Luton game tonight on mobile date, I used a total of 490kb over 2 hours. That included the half time ads, which i usually skip, and 7 mins of injury time. Usage rate around 60k per 15 minute segment. This was for a Sky feed to hesgoals, tethered to a laptop. Picture quality absolutely fine, standard definition  I assume.
    I hope that's something of a guide for you @Danepak . (I don't know if ifollow is an HD service, which would of course ramp up the data quite considerably)
    Nice one. I wonder if there’ll be a dodgy stream for the Reading game? 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Can't be sure of there's going to be any kind of live link until very near kick off usually.  Then it usually gets posted in the match thread if there is.

With ValleyPass/ifollow though you need to be set up earlier I think (never used it myself). There are several free links I'll be trying out on pages 73 and 81 in the championship games thread. Also will check the Reading forum if needs be.

If all else fails I'll just jump in the match thread and hope others post nice full descriptions of the action, (which is rare thesedays but always earns a like from me!).
  • Options
    I'm in the lake District and I have no WiFi in the lodge. Had to watch the Brentford game up Stickle Pike in duddon valley. Used 2 GB. Fantastic views and spectacular scenery. No one at all around so completely peaceful other than expletives from me when Brentford scored. Sheep seemed a bit perplexed. Same location again for me tomorrow.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

1080p is standard HD.

It sure is. 1280p is full HD.
    Whilst I admit HD begins at 720p for some reason I had a brain fart earlier.

It's 1280 pixels x 720 pixels. Full HD is 1920 pixels x 1080 pixels.

1280 doesn't exist as a resolution.