Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Video Editing

Anybody using a good digital video editing software they would recommend? Just got a 4K camera and need to get going with it.

Comments

• My sister-in-law does the in house video work for HSBC, I'll ask her @limeygent. Watch this space... 
  • What sort of computer do you have @limeygent? Before you splash out money on anything fancy, see if there's something built in that you can use, and if it does what you need it to be able to do. Back in the days of Windows XP, the built in Windows Movie Maker software was good enough if you didn't want to do anything too fancy (I think I used it for putting together the Soccer Six video that's up on Vimeo, but I can't remember now). I've not tried Video Editor in Windows 10, but assuming you're on PC that's where I'd start. I don't know what the equivalent Mac version is, so you'd need to ask someone who uses those.
  • I use Adobe Premiere or Camtasia - can’t go wrong with either really. 

• Don't make any final decisions about what to do without asking @JiMMy 85 for advice. I use Videopad. There are many, better, cheaper (and now expensive) solutions too. 

I would also be interested to know whether @JamesSeed has advice or experience to share on this. 
  • aliwibble said:
    What sort of computer do you have @limeygent? Before you splash out money on anything fancy, see if there's something built in that you can use, and if it does what you need it to be able to do. Back in the days of Windows XP, the built in Windows Movie Maker software was good enough if you didn't want to do anything too fancy (I think I used it for putting together the Soccer Six video that's up on Vimeo, but I can't remember now). I've not tried Video Editor in Windows 10, but assuming you're on PC that's where I'd start. I don't know what the equivalent Mac version is, so you'd need to ask someone who uses those.
    Considering a new laptop that I'll only use for these videos, I have a friend that builds them and will customize one for me, definitely won't be a Mac.
  • Sister-in-law's answer (obviously ignore the first bit... :D )

"If they have a Mac... I-movie is a good one. If they have a pc then adobe products are good but can be expensive. I would suggest something like open shot or movie maker if they have a windows 10."
  • Much appreciate, got a few good choices to look into.
  • lumafusion for ipad is very good
  • edited July 2020
    I use Lightworks on my PC. Easy enough to use and plenty of tutorials on YouTube. The basic version is free.
  • I've got Final Cut Pro, which is great, but it's on a Mac...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2020
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Chizz!

I learned on iMovie, but that got dumbed down a bit, with Final Cut being its replacement (which itself was dumbed down a bit but I don’t personally think that’s a bad thing). 

Adobe Premiere Pro (monthly subscription) is effectively an industry standard, but I’d argue it’s not remotely as user friendly as Final Cut (150 quid outright), which is what I enjoy using as I tend not to do anything too complex. 

If you’re using the rest of the Adobe suite - PhotoShop and After Effects - then Premiere is the way forward. 

I’ve been meaning to look at Davinci Resolve just to see what it’s like, I’ve heard good things. 
    Ultimately I think it depends on what you
    want to achieve. iMovie is still a decent place to start - in my experience you learn to edit through necessity; you want to achieve something and you google it, figure out how to do it then realise your software can’t do it!

Also, 4K footage can be really hard on your computer’s processor, I had to triple my RAM recently on a new iMac! Happy to offer any help or advice on email or WhatsApp if you or anyone else needs it. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Chizz!

I learned on iMovie, but that got dumbed down a bit, with Final Cut being its replacement (which itself was dumbed down a bit but I don’t personally think that’s a bad thing). 

Adobe Premiere Pro (monthly subscription) is effectively an industry standard, but I’d argue it’s not remotely as user friendly as Final Cut (150 quid outright), which is what I enjoy using as I tend not to do anything too complex. 

If you’re using the rest of the Adobe suite - PhotoShop and After Effects - then Premiere is the way forward. 

I’ve been meaning to look at Davinci Resolve just to see what it’s like, I’ve heard good things. 
    Ultimately I think it depends on what you
    want to achieve. iMovie is still a decent place to start - in my experience you learn to edit through necessity; you want to achieve something and you google it, figure out how to do it then realise your software can’t do it!

Also, 4K footage can be really hard on your computer’s processor, I had to triple my RAM recently on a new iMac! Happy to offer any help or advice on email or WhatsApp if you or anyone else needs it. 
    If you're going to consider Davinci Resolve you'll need a pretty powerful PC and decent graphics card for it to run