Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton confirm list of released and retained players

The club can confirm the following U23s players have left the club following the expiration of their contracts with Charlton.

- Kareem Isiaka

- Sam Keefe

- Taylor Maloney

- Wilberforce Ocran

- Abraham Odoh

- Toby Stevenson

- Kenneth Yao

The club can also confirm that David Davis’ loan spell with Charlton has ended following the expiration of the deal and Matt Smith has now returned to his parent club Manchester City.

The club has taken up one-year options on Charles Clayden, Ben Dempsey, Nathan Harness, Jay Mingi, Joseph Osaghae, Johl Powell, Luca Vega and James Vennings, while Wassim Aouchria and Armando Junior Quitirna have signed new one-year contracts with a one-year option.

Meanwhile the following players have all signed pro contracts:

- Richard Afrane-Kesey

- Kasim Aidoo

- Freddie Barton

- Billy French

- Nathan Harvey

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5efda22caea4a/charlton-confirm-list-of-released-and-retained-players

Comments

• Options
    Any surprises there @dickplumb , @Bolloxbolder ?
  • Options
    that is still a hefty junior squad and hopefully a few will develop into top professionals 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Interesting to read about Matt Smith

Wonder if that was because he chose not to stay or whether we werent impressed with his ability in training

Be surprising if Bowyer was happy to risk losing another player in case of any injuries if it was the latter

Glad too that Wassim has been kept for another year after his injury, then again I remember us doing that with Kennedy and Ben Davison when they were in similar situations 
  • Options
    Has Smith gone or stayed?  The article says he has gone, but the linked artical says he is staying.

Supprised Vennings only got a year, probably more of a reflection of the current circumstances than his future though. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    We've lost one of the best names in football.
    and a former Doctor Who !!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Has Smith gone or stayed?  The article says he has gone, but the linked artical says he is staying.

Supprised Vennings only got a year, probably more of a reflection of the current circumstances than his future though. 
    I imagine with Smith picking up a knock, he'll probably not be fit before the end of the season so pointless keeping him here
  • Options
    Not a good time to be a released footballer, with lower division and non league clubs under real financial pressure
  • Options
    Good to see faith kept with Harness.
    And many of the others.
    Ben Dempsey is an interesting one, unspectacular but very consistent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Toby Stevenson is going to be a great Charlton style pointless answer in a few years for his hat trick 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Good to see faith kept with Harness.
    And many of the others.
    Ben Dempsey is an interesting one, unspectacular but very consistent.
    Dempsey is perhaps a bit lucky to be kept on, I guess it was between him and Maloney
  • Options
    Who was the young lad whom played in a cup game this season - Henry? Or something.  Not mentioned as having signed pro - is that because he is still too young or have we lost him alongside that Luca Albon fella.
  • Options
    This is only a semi-confirmation though: we still need to see about Sarr; Williams; Matthews; Hemed; Forster-Caskey; Page; Amos; and potentially what happens with the loanees (Green being the only one released).

Whether these players will re-sign - I highly suspect we'll try to retain Matthews while exercising options on Williams and Amos, at the least - is to my mind far more significant news, given our current financial mystery.

That said, can't really complain about the released/retained list thus far. Could be a couple of good players in there.
  • Options
    I thought Hemed was a 2 year deal?
  • Options
    I’m gutted about Toby Stephenson 😞
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    This is only a semi-confirmation though: we still need to see about Sarr; Williams; Matthews; Hemed; Forster-Caskey; Page; Amos; and potentially what happens with the loanees (Green being the only one released).

Whether these players will re-sign - I highly suspect we'll try to retain Matthews while exercising options on Williams and Amos, at the least - is to my mind far more significant news, given our current financial mystery.

That said, can't really complain about the released/retained list thus far. Could be a couple of good players in there.
    This is the June 30th list. I imagine any news on the players who extended to July will have to wait until we know what division we are in next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cfgs said:
    Nah, He was out of contract at the end of June, He then signed until The end of the season

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5eec895d8daae/out-of-contract-players-extend-deals-until-end-of-201920-season
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Really surprised at Sam Keefe but not the rest of them.
  • Options
    Happy about Aouchria, expecting big things from him 
  • Options
    Gents/ladies you've briefly touched upon it, but those who watch the youth, who is to look out for, what is there positions and skills? 
  • Options
    Will anyone Likely make an impact next term?
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Definitely one season
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I can see Williams triggering his plus 12 months option.
  • Options
    Who was the young lad whom played in a cup game this season - Henry? Or something.  Not mentioned as having signed pro - is that because he is still too young or have we lost him alongside that Luca Albon fella.
    I was wondering that. Thought he looked really good and outshone Jennings etc v WBA.