Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Toby Stevenson released

13»

Comments

• Options
    “From Watford’s academy” according to the dick on talkshite just now.  Typical. 
    He came through Leyton Orient’s academy. Was not offered a professional contract at the O’s at the end of his scholarship which surprised the youth coaches as he was one of there better youngsters. Came to us as a development player.
  • Options
    He came through Leyton Orient’s academy. Was not offered a professional contract at the O’s at the end of his scholarship which surprised the youth coaches as he was one of there better youngsters. Came to us as a development player.
    Wasnt that more because Leyton Orient dont have an U23s team so they felt he wasn't ready for Senior Football 

We were then able to bring him here as we had that gap between U18s and First Team 
  • Options
    Wasnt that more because Leyton Orient dont have an U23s team so they felt he wasn't ready for Senior Football 

We were then able to bring him here as we had that gap between U18s and First Team 
    Yes that was publicity said by ling but from speaking with the youth coaches at the O‘s at the time other scholars were given pro contacts that were not on the same level as Toby. All comes down to opinions of course in football. 
  • Options
    Good luck to him. I think you probably meant to say Rooney County? 
    Wayne County ?

*one for the kids......
  • Options
    That's a come down from Watford.
  • Options
    Or Charlton.
  • Options
    A more natural career path would have been for him to sign for a decent NL side like Bromley straight after leaving Charlton, and then work his way up. 
  • Options
    A more natural career path would have been for him to sign for a decent NL side like Bromley straight after leaving Charlton, and then work his way up. 
    You're probably right but he'd have been mad to turn down a chance at a Championship club.

Or the wages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed - he would have been better off going on the dole. 
  • Options
    You're probably right but he'd have been mad to turn down a chance at a Championship club.

Or the wages.
    Obviously Watford was too good an opportunity for him to turn down, though I doubt the wages they paid him, while better than a NL side, were life changing
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Good luck to him. I think you probably meant to say Rooney County? 
    Wayne County ?

*one for the kids......
    F*ck off!!!

One for the kids (of 77), I'm not being rude haha!
  • Options
    Working with Andy Woodman at Bromley will be good for Toby Stevenson. 
    With Purrington out and no left back available Cafc could have offered him a short term contract. Strong lad and still room for improvement but could do a job in League 1, In my humble opinion just like I said about Michael Smith and Joe Pigott when they left Cafc, they will play in League 1 if given a chance. Smith even played in the Championship for Rotherham.
    Not making it at Cafc means nothing if you keep working hard and improving your game. Harry Arter, Bradley Dack etc.

• Options
    Stevenson is a good player. We could do a lot worse than get him back. 
  • Options
    Excellent opportunity for him, good luck to Toby.
  • Options
    With Purrington out and no left back available Cafc could have offered him a short term contract. Strong lad and still room for improvement but could do a job in League 1, In my humble opinion just like I said about Michael Smith and Joe Pigott when they left Cafc, they will play in League 1 if given a chance. Smith even played in the Championship for Rotherham.
    Not making it at Cafc means nothing if you keep working hard and improving your game. Harry Arter, Bradley Dack etc.

Genuine question, what makes you think Stevenson would be adequate cover for BP ?
  • Options

And Roger Johnson  ;)

Joking aside, a former PL defender should be able to help him
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    J BLOCK said:

Genuine question, what makes you think Stevenson would be adequate cover for BP ?

Did you notice Stevenson was signed by Watford in the Championship ? Ok he didn't play much but playing Gunter a competent RB at LB will negate any attacking ideas we have down the left side. Plus Toby can score goals so could play the wing back.

Excellent signing by Bromley and I hope he helps them get promotion to the EFL 2

Haven't seen the lad play so is Roddy a decent LB who could play in League 1 ? 

Don't care what other say I saw Toby play decent and is strong. We must be bringing in a LB because it just doesn't work for Cafc playing a RB at LB unless you're away and don't have too many attacking ideas down that side. 

We need more than 8 home wins this season and the full backs or wing backs are becoming so important as was demonstrated by Shaw for England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

And Roger Johnson  ;)

Joking aside, a former PL defender should be able to help him

Good point, saw RJ coaching when going to Bromley's last home game when they beat Notts County to get into the play offs.
    RJ will be a good tutor for Toby in Swearing and the dark arts of defending which is so important. RJ best days were with the Young Scott Dann when they had a good partnership. We had RJ when he had too many miles on the clock and had spent months in the last chance Saloon.

• Options
    J BLOCK said:

Did you notice Stevenson was signed by Watford in the Championship ? Ok he didn't play much but playing Gunter a competent RB at LB will negate any attacking ideas we have down the left side. Plus Toby can score goals so could play the wing back.

Excellent signing by Bromley and I hope he helps them get promotion to the EFL 2

Don't care what other say I saw Toby play decent and is strong. We must be bringing in a LB because it just doesn't work for Cafc playing a RB at LB unless you're away and don't have too many attacking ideas down that side. 

We need more than 8 home wins this season and the full backs or wing backs are becoming so important as was demonstrated by Shaw for England.
    He was also released by us in the same window, he also didn't play in the prem for Watford did he? He's now been picked up by Non - League Bromley. 

Where have you seen Toby play that makes you think he is a competent L1 left back?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Don’t remember much about him when he played other than thinking he didn’t look quite good enough for the first team. If he was he’d have got a decent run of games, instead we signed Purrington. A young player coming into the team needs to be more than just ok to keep their place.

Always felt like he was overhyped by some sections of the fanbase based on his hat trick in the paint trophy.

Won’t write him off being a solid FL player in time, but we need a LB to seriously challenge Purrington. Ideally one with pace and who’s decent going forward, rather than a young player who could “do a job”.

When he signed for Watford did anyone expect him to break into their first team? He may have been signed to fill a gap in their u23 squad, and if he developed it’s a bonus.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

He was a low risk punt bybwatford. One year contract, relatively low wages, released one year later for not being good enough. 

We released him because he wasn’t good enough

he Had a trial at Wimbledon and wasn’t good enough for a contract.

he might come good but the 5th tier is his current level.

I would rather go into the season with an experienced right back with 100 international caps playing at left back then a 5th tier left back.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    J BLOCK said:

He was a low risk punt bybwatford. One year contract, relatively low wages, released one year later for not being good enough. 

I would rather go into the season with an experienced right back with 100 international caps playing at left back then a 5th tier left back.

I was at a under 23 game at Watford a few years ago when Cafc won 4-1 and Stevenson had a powerful game. I assume he was monitored from then. No surprised being released by Watford as premiership football was achieved. 
    The only poor game Joe Gomez had for Cafc was when he was put at LB when the LB at the time was out.  I hope you are correct because I would attack Gunter on the outside on Saturday. More fool Wednesday if they play a left footer on the right wing. We may go for Gunter on the Right and Matthews on the left as I believe he has played there on more occasions. Still not ideal as it totally limits your full back to play in the big Bob Peeters system when Wiggins was told to not bomb forward unless we were already a few goals up !

As we all should know not being rated by Cafc does not always have a bearing on your future career. 

It's musical chairs with too many players on the market because of the loss of revenue.
    Plus talking to scouts and coaches from many different levels its more chaotic than ever. Some good knowledge on the under 18 thread. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

The only poor game Joe Gomez had for Cafc was when he was put at LB when the LB at the time was out.  I hope you are correct because I would attack Gunter on the outside on Saturday. More fool Wednesday if they play a left footer on the right wing. We may go for Gunter on the Right and Matthews on the left as I believe he has played there on more occasions. Still not ideal as it totally limits your full back to play in the big Bob Peeters system when Wiggins was told to not bomb forward unless we were already a few goals up.

As we all should know not being rated by Cafc does not always have a bearing on your future career. 

It's musical chairs with too many players on the market because of the loss of revenue.
    Plus talking to scouts and coaches from many different levels its more chaotic than ever. Some good knowledge on the under 18 thread. 
    Don't think that's true, except for us (competitively). Pretty sure Gunter has played LB on a fair few occasions over the course of his career. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

The only poor game Joe Gomez had for Cafc was when he was put at LB when the LB at the time was out.  I hope you are correct because I would attack Gunter on the outside on Saturday. More fool Wednesday if they play a left footer on the right wing. We may go for Gunter on the Right and Matthews on the left as I believe he has played there on more occasions. Still not ideal as it totally limits your full back to play in the big Bob Peeters system when Wiggins was told to not bomb forward unless we were already a few goals up.

Don't think that's true, except for us (competitively). Pretty sure Gunter has played LB on a fair few occasions over the course of his career. 

I thought in the 101 games Adam Matthews played for Celtic from 2011-15 he played a dozen or so games at LB. Celtic won so easily back then that Agnes the tea Lady from the Gobals played a few games at LB and they still won.