Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The tour of France

Me and the Mrs walkied up to the top of our road on sunday, watched all the wierd frogs driving past, then the bikes. I must say, the froggies who were driving past were going so fast, it was scary! they were throwing free stuff at us, and some of the stuff was striking people, it was funny!

The race went past pretty quick, but all in all it was worth it. It was quite an impressive sight watching them go past that fast and so close!

My main point being, thye way it was organised was ace, i cant ever imagine us brits doing anything like that. A very good success imo and i hope it comes back next time.

ANyone else wander along to have a butchers?

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, well impressed, glad I went, Kids loved it, we went to Bostall hill so at least they had some sort of test instead of flying by on the flat.

So well organised
  • Options
    yeah well organised, proper event. Them garlic munchers no 'ow to puton a shew'
  • Options
    You dont normally get anything for nothing but the kids were entertained for a couple of hours for nothing.
  • Options
    watched it in Greenwich town centre- was packed!

well impressed with it all. Might even watch some of the rest of the tour in France on the TV!

It has to be one of the toughest sporting challanges on earth?
  • Options
    Really well organised by the Mayors office and Transport for London.

Went to Hyde Park on Saturday, and it was rammed, but it did make for one of the easiest bike rides I've ever had in London whipping over to Tooting that evening.

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a T-mobile team shirt, or a King of the Mountains one, cause I deserve that for cycling up Beulah Hill yesterday
  • Options
    Saw it with the wife and son. I thought the morning would drag on but the loony driving in the publicity caravan kept us all entertained until the race came through. It was strange, seeing the race get closer judging from the position of the helicopter following the riders.

The thing that struck me was how small the riders seemed. I guess being lightweight is an advantage in this sport but you don't normally associate top sportsmen with being skinny guys.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Watched the first bit on the box and went down to Barming (next to Maidstone) to watch them come through. Went over to France a couple of years back to see Lance Armstrong in his last tour. (got a signed yellow jersey!)
    The prologue or a time trial is probably better viewing as you can see the riders for a few hours. Also the warm up area with them on their turbo's is interesting.

My photographic contribution........
  • Options
    The thing that impressed me is they was riding the same solid pace when they got to maidstone. They didn't event look slightly worn out. Disappointed with the commentator mistaking our local allington castle for leeds castle tho.
  • Options
    I went to the top of Bostall Hill expecting a bit more of a look at the riders...but they sped passed like they were on motorbikes!

The caravan was excellent for the kids. They showed UK companies how to market and publicise their companies better....

Wish it was here every year.
  • Options
    Watched it in the middle of Chatham. Very impressive.

Watched the rest at home, and was disturbed by the commentators wrong pronouciation of places.... Teston (pr Tee-ston), Mereworth (pr Merryworth), Chatham (pr Chavham)....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Watched it in Charlton, then Rochester (got lucky with the trains) then in a village called Lower Hardres, 5km outside Canterbury.

Incredible stuff and great fun to spend the day following it - in Charlton we were possibly a little bit blase because we're used to the marathon every year, but to see them whip by was an amazing sight. By the time I got to Lower Hardres (Canterbury city centre was packed and so I just walked out as far as I could) the atmosphere was electric, and the bikes felt a little too close for comfort.

Oh, and the caravan was one of the most surreal sights I've ever seen winding its way through tree-lined roads on the outskirts of Canterbury... now, what am I going to do with a €5 discount voucher for French bottled gas?
  • Options
    The one outstanding part of the whole day for me was the realisation that I live in one of the most beautiful places in the entire World.

What a fantastic advertisement for Kent the whole show was.
  • Options
    My son loves he 5 Skoda Fabia car models and the hat, and pens and enjoyed the rush past he is now saying he wants to do Le tour, maybe a 6 year old inspired!
  • Options
    A few of my photos from Sunday. Very hard to get photos due to the numbers of people who turned out... amazed me that the people of Chatham were out of their beds before midday...

IMG_9226.jpg

IMG_9230.jpg

IMG_9238.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

IMG_9263.jpg

IMG_9277.jpg

IMG_9278.jpg

IMG_9285.jpg

IMG_9291.jpg
  • Options
    very disappointed with the tv coverage - watched the first hour or so on ITV and was eagerly waiting for them to come into town (dartford) to show my kids where they live and their nursery etc etc.

Followed the race through Charlton, Plumstead & Erith and just as they got through Thames Road they went to the adverts.......came back a few minutes later and starting chatting about the finish in Canterbury and interviews with some k***bs I have never heard of. Finally got back to the race and the leader was through Dartford and on his way through swanscombe.....Grrr. They also did this for Gravesend , leaving the leader at the Overcliff, going to adverts and coming back as he was leaving Chalk for Shorne and Higham........just saw glimpses of Gravesnd high street as the main pack went past Primark !!

good ole ITV.......or was this dne on purpose?
  • Options
    You should watch on Eurosport.