Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terminology origins.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Why wouldn’t  the dead on ships be buried at sea ? 
    Too many sailors drowned whilst digging the graves so they would often hide the body under a canvas or flag and tip it into the sea when they thought nobody was watching.

This really made me laugh & reminded me of something I’d not thought about for years,
    when I was little & I heard the phrase buried at sea & the only reference I had of a burial was a scene in Scrooge & I presumed they done the same but at sea, think the football game scene in bedknobs & broomsticks helped my imagination along with how a sea burial would work & I believed this for far longer than I should have! 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Interestingly, I looked up the word 'dictionary' in the Dictionary recently.

Pretty much what I expected.
    why is there only one word for Thesaurus ?
    Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?
  • Options
    Not sure we were eating tomatoes in the 1500s.
  • Options
    Not sure we were eating tomatoes in the 1500s.
    I know I wasn’t. 
  • Options
    A Ha Ha is a ditch that is obscured from a view. Often used in gardens of stately homes to prevent deer approaching the front of the house but not noticeably visible and spoiling the line of the view of the lawn.
    You've got it the wrong way round.

Later a ditch was dug to keep out the locals and was called the Ha Ha ditch after Ha Ha Road

The name was then used for other similar ditches and became a generic name. 
    The story behind Ha Ha Rd is that a Royal Artillery Officer had a wager with a fellow Officer, that he could build a 6ft wall less than a mile from  the Orderly office in the barracks and the second officer could not see it.

• Options
    I bought a really bad thesaurus yesterday. Not only was it bad, it was bad.