Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If only if only

Maybe this has been posted earlier this decade BUT just imagine that we had had a positive and funded ownership who kept the good players and rewarded them sufficiently that they were happy to stay; with this team Charlton would be promotion candidates and if the players stayed... well who knows>
Here's a team of those who were transferred or at their contract's end, left. So what a team :
Pope
Konza, Gomez, Baure
Dykstyl,Aribo,Shelvey, Guddmanson
Taylor, Grant, Lookman: 
Can Charlton have ever been able to put out a stronger side of players sold  to raise money?

Comments

• edited June 2020
    OMG where do I start? 

If we could hold onto our own youth, we could have the following... Not sure on Davison, but I think he can do a job in there.

Pope
    Dijksteel | Konsa | Gomez | Doughty
    Morgan | Shelvey | Aribo | Lookman
    Davison | Grant

• JaShea99 said:
    What if we hadn’t let Sccot Paka go or Derren Brent?
    If only we still had Itchy Mail Demon Tanned Rack
  • edited June 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    OMG where do I start? 

If we could hold onto our own youth, we could have the following... Not sure on Davison, but I think he can do a job in there.

Pope
    Dijksteel | Konsa | Gomez | Fox
    Morgan | Shelvey | Aribo | Doughty
    Lookman | Grant

What about the above

Doughty / Lookman / Grant would scare teams with their pace
  • My team was comprised of players who had left for one reason or another - mostly to get paid what they were worth
    #
  • Dazzler21 said:
    OMG where do I start? 

Pope
    Dijksteel | Konsa | Gomez | Doughty
    Morgan | Shelvey | Aribo | Lookman
    Davison | Grant

Our own youth?  Then pick 5 players that weren't? 
  • I get the point that is being made but it's a bit pie in the sky isn't it?

We wouldn't have got relegated from the prem of we had kept Parker and Murphy.   

How many "decent" or better premier league quality payers have we ever had that we didn't sell?

Yes we could/should have got more money for most, if not all, of the players we have sold on the last 15 years (and most of the 100 years before that) and some of them could still be realistically playing for us.  But anyone that thinks Joe Gomez was ever going to play more than 2 season maximum in the championship needs to have a rethink. 
  • daveroan said:
    Maybe this has been posted earlier this decade BUT just imagine that we had had a positive and funded ownership who kept the good players and rewarded them sufficiently that they were happy to stay; with this team Charlton would be promotion candidates and if the players stayed... well who knows>
    Here's a team of those who were transferred or at their contract's end, left. So what a team :
    Pope
    Konza, Gomez, Baure
    Dykstyl,Aribo,Shelvey, Guddmanson
    Taylor, Grant, Lookman: 
    Can Charlton have ever been able to put out a stronger side of players sold  to raise money?
    Yes.......repeatedly, since the days of Michael (do nothing) Glikstein.
    Though I agree, that selection is about as bad as it has ever been.
  • I’m pretty sure all teams of our size have to eventually sell their best young players.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    I’m pretty sure all teams of our size have to eventually sell their best young players.
    Man United couldn't keep Ronaldo..... 
  • There's nothing wrong with selling players to a bigger club. It's how you manage transfers that's crucial, getting key players on long contracts, selling for a good price and then buying replacements at a lower price.

Indeed that's been one of the worst aspects of recent years, the inability to get good money for players because their contracts get run down. Off the top of my head, Lookman and Holmes (and maybe Morgan Fox) are amongst a small number of players where we got decent money
  • Fox. 

Snigger 
  • Why take the piss out of someones spelling?
    I know at least one dyslexic person who is put of from posting on public forums because they fear people might take the piss.
    More noddy behaviour from our fans.
  • PopIcon said:
    Why take the piss out of someones spelling?
    I know at least one dyslexic person who is put of from posting on public forums because they fear people might take the piss.
    More noddy behaviour from our fans.
    If @daveroan has dyslexia then I can only apologise.
    If, however, you look at the OP then you will notice that the spelling issues only occur with the players' names.