Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

phone help

my phone has stopped charging

I have contacted Samsung and they can send someone in the mobile help unit to try and fix the issue on Friday for £60 I dont really want to be without my phone until Friday and £60 seems alot

my questions are these

1 is there anyone on here that knows phone that would be ale to do it cheaper
2 if not would it be worth taking it to a high street phone shop(there is one by Catford station and see if they are cheaper)

its a Samsung Galaxy A40

basically the issue is it has stopped charging, the charger works on other devices so its not the chargers thats the issue there is clearly an issue with the charging port itself

Comments

  • Is it possible to charge it wirelessly? I had a similar issue with a Sony Xperia so bought a wireless charger and used that for several months before my upgrade was due
  • sam3110 said:
    Is it possible to charge it wirelessly? I had a similar issue with a Sony Xperia so bought a wireless charger and used that for several months before my upgrade was due
    hmm thats an idea,

    not sure where I would get one of those lol

    how much are they? just curios how much i stand to lose if that doesnt work
  • Paulie, I had a similar issue late last year with an iphone. The problem was with the actual charging port. It simply needed a good clean out and service (dust, dirt etc).

    Mobile repair quoted similar to your quote. I took it to a local independent phone repair and service shop, it cost me £30. 

    Not saying you'll get the same, but it's worth a look, mate. 
  • When you had the microphone issue in April you said you "stuck the sim card opener pin in the microphone hole and it seems to have sorted the issue for now."

    Why not try the same and tip your pockets inside out and remove all fluff.
  • My Dad had a similar problem. Start of with getting a can of compressed "air" and blowing that up the charging port to shift accumulated dust and dirt. That will probably do the trick, but if not you'll need to get somone to take a look at it.
  • When you had the microphone issue in April you said you "stuck the sim card opener pin in the microphone hole and it seems to have sorted the issue for now."

    Why not try the same and tip your pockets inside out and remove all fluff.
    TBH this is less of a dirt issue I think

    it was on charge and it fell from the side onto the floor, then it hasnt charged since, i am worried that when it fell some electric may have fried the charging port or something
  • edited June 21
    It could be coincidence or the fall moved a bit of fluff.
    I'd try the pin just in case.
  • aliwibble said:
    My Dad had a similar problem. Start of with getting a can of compressed "air" and blowing that up the charging port to shift accumulated dust and dirt. That will probably do the trick, but if not you'll need to get somone to take a look at it.
    When you've done the compressed air thing, a good second stage is to get yourself a can of alcohol (yes really). Granted, if it doesn't do the trick it's a pricey addition to your total costs, but it's always great stuff to have around the house.

    https://www.somersetsolders.com/solvent-cleaner-for-electrical-contacts/p490?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl6mkoeuT6gIVze3tCh1oJgjuEAQYBSABEgJbrvD_BwE
  • Apparently the Samsung A40 doesnt support wireless charging I would need to buy an extra thing that slots into the charging port, but as the charging port is broken that won't work
  • Seeing as you recently had an issue with the microphone I think it might be best all round that you buy a new phone. Or give up with  mobiles as they seem to cause you a fair few problems. 
  • Sponsored links:


  • Yeah sorry @paulie8290 only just looked at this again, you need a phone with qi support and a glass back to be able to charge wirelessly. Reckon if the ports done in you need a new one and you might be better off getting a new phone entirely
  • Annoyingly I just sold a phone you could have had if I had seen this thread. 

    Look for a second hand OnePlus device Paulie, good fast phones, decent not outstanding cameras but can be picked up on great deals on eBay. 

    You'll probably get a OnePlus 3 or 3T for £50 and after restoring should be as fast or faster than a brand new budget phone. 
  • Paulie, you have had to put up with some really difficult stuff recently, so I am sorry that your phone seems to be knackered and I am sorry I haven't got an answer that's as good as the suggestions you have already had.  However, have you considered taking out a Criminal Injuries Compensation claim?  It may be that you find you're due for a compensation payment that could help with the cost of the new tech you need. 
  • Chizz said:
    Paulie, you have had to put up with some really difficult stuff recently, so I am sorry that your phone seems to be knackered and I am sorry I haven't got an answer that's as good as the suggestions you have already had.  However, have you considered taking out a Criminal Injuries Compensation claim?  It may be that you find you're due for a compensation payment that could help with the cost of the new tech you need. 
    police dropped the case tho so highly doubt I would be entitled to anything
  • You won't know if you don't ask.
  • thanks have just filled out an online form
  • I loaned my brother my old Samsung S6 Edge this week but the idiot dropped it and smashed the screen.
    He is getting a new phone tomorrow, you are welcome to have the old S6 Edge (it still works albeit with a broken screen), no idea how much it would cost to get the screen fixed.
  • Have you tried putting a straw in the hole and sucking?
    After that try the same but blowing.

  • ROTW said:
    Have you tried putting a straw in the hole and sucking?
    After that try the same but blowing.

    Can we keep that sort of comment to the thread it's supposed to be on please... 

    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/3808453#Comment_3808453
  • Echoing what Chizz said - oneplus phones are reliable and the older ones are cheap. 
  • Sponsored links:


  • Echoing what Chizz said - oneplus phones are reliable and the older ones are cheap. 
    I'm not Chizz ;)

    Dazzler21 said:
    Look for a second hand OnePlus device Paulie, good fast phones, decent not outstanding cameras but can be picked up on great deals on eBay. 

    You'll probably get a OnePlus 3 or 3T for £50 and after restoring should be as fast or faster than a brand new budget phone. 

  • Dazzler21 said:

    I'm not Chizz ;)


    Yes you are!
  • @admin can you close this thread now

    Its been sorted
  • How did you get it fixed in the end Paulie?
  • aliwibble said:
    How did you get it fixed in the end Paulie?
    A guardian angel is all I am willing to say
  • If they're on here then another fantastic gesture from a lifer. 
  • OK, closing thread as requested.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!