Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Charlton trivia question

In the post match thread, @Oggy Red wrote this:

Oggy Red said:
A piece of Charlton history was created today:

The record books will show that a 4th Charlton substitute entered the field of play during a League match, for the first time.

Then the record was immediately broken as a 5th substitute came on to play for Charlton in a League game.

Step forward Jonny Williams and Sam Field.  
You wrote a little piece of Charlton history today. 

...which got me thinking:
We all know Keith Peacock was our first sub and now we know Jonny Williams was our first ‘4th sub’ and Sam Field our first ‘5th sub’.
So who has the title for 2nd and 3rd?
Its not a trick question and I don’t know the answer. I was just wondering if anyone knew!

1. Keith Peacock
2. ?
3. ?
4. Jonny Williams
5. Sam Field

Comments

• Options
    Keith Peacock  became the first sub on 21st August 1965. In 1987, each team was permitted two substitutes in one match. This increased to three in 1994-95 season, though one of them had to be goalkeeper. One season later, the three substitutes can be used for whatever reasons.
  • Options
    2. Steve Gritt/Ralph Milne
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    3. Ammann, Garland, Linger. Home to Barnsley, 20th August 1994.
  • Options
    Wasn't Keith Peacock the first sub not just our first sub?
    Yeah, and to be honest, the fact that he’s the history maker is probably the only reason most of us know he was our first sub.
    I’d be surprised if your average fan of most other clubs knew who their first substitute was.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    3. Ammann, Garland, Linger. Home to Barnsley, 20th August 1994.
    Did they all get used? 
  • Options
    According to Home and Away, Ralph Milne was the the first second substitute, as No 1 says above. This was the first game of the season on August 18th 1987, a 2-1 defeat to Forest having been 1 up at half-time. Gritt came on for Thompson just after half-time and then Milne came on for Walsh on 58 minutes.
    Stig is also correct that Paul Linger was the first third sub to be made, in the 2-2 draw with Barnsley on 20th August 1994 at The Valley. Amman had already replaced Salmon in goal on 16 minutes after his hand was cut by an accidental kick. Garland then came on for Robinson on 65 minutes, and Linger made his little bit of history when he replaced Mark Robson on 79 minutes. As Colin Cameron pointed out, Linger would have been the first ever third sub to be used if Cambridge hadn't already used all three of theirs on the same day. 
  • Options
    We all know Keith Peacock became the first Football League sub when you could only replace an injured player but do you know the name of the first Charlton player to come on for tactical reasons. This was during 67/68 season when the rule changed. According to Colin Cameron’s book our first sub that season was Derek Woodley but he don’t say if it was for and injured player or tactical.
  • Options
    I love how much knowledge there is on this site. ❤️