Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton in the 70's - Kit Question

I have looked around the net for pictures of our away Bukta shirts from the mid/late 70s but have not been able to source any. I don't even know what our away colours were then, my guess would be white. Does anyone have any away pics from that time period they can share please?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2020
    We did wear white mostly, and occasionally yellow. I think the league were a bit more lenient then (as little TV coverage), so for instance, if we played Sheffield United, who wore red and white stripes, we could still play in our all red shirts.  It was only shorts that might change (to black). Every so often this led to issues with pernickity refs, hence why we wore Sheffield Wednesday kit in one away game (vs Sheff Utd) , and Palace away colours (versus them) in another!
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I have looked around the net for pictures of our away Bukta shirts from the mid/late 70s but have not been able to source any. I don't even know what our away colours were then, my guess would be white. Does anyone have any away pics from that time period they can share please?
    We only had black and white newspapers in those days to cut pictures out of for our scrap books..will they do ?

• Options
    Pedro45 said:
    We did wear white mostly, and occasionally yellow. I think the league were a bit more lenient then (as little TV coverage), so for instance, if we played Sheffield United, who wore red and white stripes, we could still play in our all red shirts.  It was only shorts that might change (to black). Every so often this led to issues with pernickity refs, hence why we wore Sheffield Wednesday kit in one away game (vs Sheff Utd) , and Palace away colours (versus them) in another!
    And the replica kit business was less of a commercial business as well! 

Indeed when did adults start wearing replica kit?
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but I remember there was a thread or article about our badge history, could anyone provide a link? 
  • Options
    late 70s Bukta away strip was yellow shirts and blue shorts I thought.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Hoping toy_toys has some in his recent Bukta collection? 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    PopIcon said:
    Hoping toy_toys has some in his recent Bukta collection? 
     :D Maybe.
  • Options
    Definitely yellow and blue
  • Options
    The 5-5 at Bristol R A was all yellow IIRC. 
  • Options
    Very tasty green and black stripes with black shorts in the mid seventies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very tasty green and black stripes with black shorts in the mid seventies.
    I remember that. About the same time as Man City wore red and black stripes with black shorts.

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    I think the problem with finding a picture, is the majority of photographs that were in newspapers will be in black and white, so if you went through old Kentish Mercury pictures (on some sort of Newspaper database) you won't get what you're looking for.  I don't know if programmes of the time had colour pictures.  

If you're desperate you can go through YouTube and find video footage of an away game, if you need a picture you could perhaps take a very poor still from that.

This is the 5-5 with Bristol Rovers with yellow shorts (sorry, really poor quality):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIXUuYon_w

Although looking at it, i thought there was blue trim down the sleeves like Brighton and Sheff Wed away kits at the time.  Maybe the trim on the sleeves was introduced the year after.  the quality is soo bad it is difficult to see.

• Options
    milo said:
    late 70s Bukta away strip was yellow shirts and blue shorts I thought.
    Had this kit, as well as the home one. It was very dark blue.
  • Options
    According to this image, from the early sixties to early seventies we went from having no badge on the shirt, to having a badge, then no badge again for a few years. 
    Is this correct and if so why would that be?

• Options
    It didn't matter, the whole world was black and white in those days and we were grateful for it i can tell you... before that the world was sepia!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    According to this image, from the early sixties to early seventies we went from having no badge on the shirt, to having a badge, then no badge again for a few years. 

I believe you're correct that there was no badge in 1970-71.

But from then on there was a sword image on the shirt for a few seasons; then for some seasons after that, a written CAFC logo in 'curly white writing' where the badge would have been placed.

You can see a white mark on the red shirts of the 70s above.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Talal said:

I believe you're correct that there was no badge in 1970-71.

But from then on there was a sword image on the shirt for a few seasons; then for some seasons after that, a written CAFC logo in 'curly white writing' where the badge would have been placed.

You can see a white mark on the red shirts of the 70s above.

Yes it was the ones before '72 I was referring to. Just seems odd that there would be a badge on 65-66 and 67-69 but not 66-67, for example.