Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell - Not Necessarily A Good Manager

He just had a good transfer window that let him build a team that basically anyone could have managed to promotion.

Who was our chief scout at the time?

Comments

• Options
    Boo Boo, never had sex with a coastal seabird, don't know, yes.
    Chris Powell gave us that Cardiff game that will live long in the memory.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I'd like to hear more about the shitting yourself in a public place please. 

I once had chronic diarrhoea at a Charlton match and no fewer than six lavvy visits during the match. In hindsight I should have gone home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is driving in a full car a public place?
    My advice is don't go for flatulance in a closed car however funny you think it might be, too risky.
  • Options
    Chris did extremely well with us, and I'll always be grateful to him for that. His performances and results elsewhere would however say he's not a good manager 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Yawn
    A Charlton related conversation on a Charlton Forum, how dare I.....

Okay, what was your first pets name? What age did you have your first shag? Have you ever had the flu? Have you ever shat yourself in a public place? 
    I mean, that's fine, but surely your opening post should have a little more substance?

• Options
    No Lorraine, I don't care if your parents are Buddhists, our love transcends all cultural barriers.

Come with me and cellotape bacon to the garden path
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Yawn

Okay, what was your first pets name? What age did you have your first shag? Have you ever had the flu? Have you ever shat yourself in a public place? 
    Leaburn, 4, yes, no but stainage
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    on this basis Gallen got us promoted and bowyer got lucky? 

Kerrmogant was known to Powell and he takes the credit. I think Powell’s record after leaving us proves that certain people fit with certain clubs but he definitely isn’t a bad manager. Are Southend better off with or without Powell? I know that Huddersfield’s fortunes changed For the better after he left but no, he isn’t a bad manager! He isn’t pep but he isn’t mike basset either 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    seth plum said:
    I'd like to hear more about the shitting yourself in a public place please. 

I once had chronic diarrhoea at a Charlton match and no fewer than six lavvy visits during the match. In hindsight I should have gone home.
    And stayed there.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Yawn

Olga, whats a shag? - Yes - Yes @ Woolwich Arsenal Station
  • Options
    Blimey - run out of tug mags?? It must be a slow day. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Yawn

Rosa. Circa 15/16 y.o. and I was terrible. Yes I believe so. Yes, in my car driving near Clapham.
  • Options
    Nurse, nurse!
  • Options
    It's a hot take, and one I don't disagree with, but I don't fully agree with it either. That season was a perfect storm of good recruitment, shit competition and pretty good management. We rode our luck a lot and didn't have many injuries, especially to key players. The reason I'm reluctant to day he was great is what's happened since, he hasn't achieved anything else and arguably has gone down ever since, with teams he managed suffering under him.
  • Options
    Sometimes a motivator and figure of absolute respect who understand their players is the best manager for a situation. I'd put Karl Robinson in a similar albeit slightly lesser bracket (insofar as he seemed to lose the dressing-room eventually, albeit that he never quite had the squad he wanted at his disposal, and obviously isn't a CAFC playing legend so didn't command quite as much respect as Powell)

Oh sorry um uh I mean Nibbles & Munch, not sure, not sure, not sure
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I think the opening post might have a little more credibility if any of the managers since had come anywhere near to Powell's 101 points. That record still stands and is (unfortunately) likely to do so for many many years.
    I would never knock what Powell achieves but I think bowyer finishing 3rd with loans and frees working under Roland is a lot bigger achievement than Powell winning the league. I’m not taking anything away from Powell. Under him, Charlton felt like Charlton and he gave us a promotion and he deserves all the credit for that! I think that bowyers task was harder and finishing 3rd with that squad is a bigger achievement, but both big achievements.
  • Options
    What a pillock. Close the bloody thread you donkey 
  • Options
    See this really is interesting. The recruitment was key and a team who played for him. I was always impressed with the way SCP set his teams out dependant on the opposition in the championship. My thoughts were he never had a way to change it if it wasn't working. He normally waited for half time and by the man could not make the right sub to save his life!!! We need speed and a goal I know..... BRADLEY PRITCHARD!!!!
  • Options
    Bricky (tortoise), 15, Yes, if you call the Med a public place then yes, when a Porpoise decided to have some fun with me and I thought it was a shark (bearing in mind this was '76 and Jaws was fresh in the memory)