Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Commentators

Watching some of the passed football clips that have been shown. I was wondering who is the best Commentator in your opinions, John Motson, Barry Davis, or Brian Moore. I would go
 for Barry Davis every time. I Konw there are pleanty more,if you have a favorite please name them.

Comments

• David Coleman by a mile.
  • On the wireless the ones who describe what is going on for the (sightless) listener, on the television the ones who shut up.
  • Best: Barry Davies. Partly because of his efforts during the World Staring Championships. 😉

Worst: Clive Tyldesley. Arrogant, know nothing, cushion-faced prick.
  • Worst: Barry Davies
  • Martin Tyler is the best by some distance for me
  • edited June 2020
    Barry Davies spent most of his time slagging something or somebody off. Martin Tyler is a good commentator as was Brian Moore and John Motson.
  • Martin Tyler is brilliant, used to love Motty during the Euros/World Cup too.

Worst for me would be Peter Drury, such a boring monotone voice.

• Motty in his prime was best, but went on too long. Brian Moore was the best host.

Sanctimonious Alan Green is the worst by a country mile.
  • Derek1952 said:
    Watching some of the passed football clips that have been shown. I was wondering who is the best Commentator in your opinions, John Motson, Barry Davis, or Brian Moore. I would go
     for Barry Davis every time. I Konw there are pleanty more,if you have a favorite please name them.

From those three, I would pick Brian Moore, David Colman I liked the best
  • Brian Moore for me
  • Sponsored links:

• loved listening to Brian Moore commentate, always watched the F A Cup Final (actual game) on ITV
  • David Coleman
    Barry Davies
    Martin Tyler
    Motty

Would have scored Brian Moore higher, but his abject pessimism when commentating on England used to grate as did his sucking up to arrogant tossers like Malcolm Allison
  • Stig said:
    Motty in his prime was best, but went on too long. Brian Moore was the best host.

Sanctimonious Alan Green is the worst by a country mile.
    Alan Green has a similar style to Davies. There will be something in the game they don't like and they will go on and on about it for the rest of the game. 
  • David Coleman
    Barry Davies
    Martin Tyler
    Motty

Would have scored Brian Moore higher, but his abject pessimism when commentating on England used to grate as did his sucking up to arrogant tossers like Malcolm Allison
    You mean his realism?
  • Martin Tyler the best for me. I loathe and despise Clive Tyldesley
  • David Coleman
    Barry Davies
    Martin Tyler
    Motty

You mean his realism?
    No I don't.
    We are probably all pessimistic with England, but it consumed his commentary, what with constantly voicing his worries about the worst outcomes, oh dear, oh no, etc etc.
    He is on record as admitting it.
  • Barry Davies for me. 

Football, tennis, hockey, ice hockey, skating, world staring champs, he could do it all. 

Never understood BBC fascination with Motson for him to get all the big games. 
  • Brian Moore head and shoulders above the rest.
  • edited June 2020
    David Coleman and Brian Moore - positive prejudice as a result of the latter’s commentary on 5/12/92: “They will always be able to say -  they were there the day that Charlton came back to The Valley”.

I also like Kenneth Wolstenholme’s minimalist style - although I accept that it’s probably nostalgic-rose tinted.

I appreciate that I’m in a minority but I was never too keen on Barry Davies and his mildly hysterical style. 
  • Hugh Johns. 
    " One - Nothing.... Leicester " 
  • Sponsored links:

• Barry Davies. Brian Moore was a fine commentator too

Of the current lot, John Champion or Steve Wilson
  • Barry Davies is the best of all time for me. Happy to listen to Jonathan Pearce, Ian Darke or any of the 5Live guys. 

I turn the audio off if Jon Champion, Jamie Carragher or Peter Drury come on. There’s a BBC one who does an incredibly smug/ knowing tone that drives me nuts too. 

Champion will use many words, that he’s found in a thesaurus, a thesaurus that he found on a shelf, in the darkest room in his house, using an illumination device that medieval man would have dreamed of, but on this blessed day, is simply called a torch, a thesaurus that contains myriad words... blah blah fucking blah. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Barry Davies for me. 

Football, tennis, hockey, ice hockey, skating, world staring champs, he could do it all. 

Never understood BBC fascination with Motson for him to get all the big games. 
    Someone on Fighting Talk once said that John Motson is a lovely man... as long as you’re only interested in talking about John Motson. 
  • edited June 2020
    Hugh Johns. 
    " One - Nothing.... Leicester " 
    Yes,  he was brilliant.  Also liked Gerald Sinstadt. 

Brian Moore top of the list. 

Also always remember Gerry Harrison doing the Ipswich or Norwich highlights for Anglia TV. 
  • Chizz said:
    Worst: Barry Davies
    Wash your mouth out with soap and water :) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/52813131
  • IMO Brian Moore was awful.  Motty, Davies, Tyler, Ian Darke. Alan Parry were all better than Moore.

Sam Matterface is the worst of the current bunch.
    Clive Tyldsley and his sidekick Andy 'not for me clive' Towsend can go and jump off a cliff!
  • Going back a bit further, Peter Jones was a great radio commentator in the 70s and 80s.
  • Martin Tyler
    John Helm
    Barry Davies
  • You mean John 'is that the goal that takes Leeds back to the top division' Helm?