Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Squad for the last 9 games

edited June 2020 in General Charlton
As we are two weeks away from the start of the '9 game season', we have lost three players. 

Lee Bowyer has always stated that he likes to break the season into 9 game chunks.

This loss of players won't overly phase Lee Bowyer though as the two key players have been inconsistently available this season and as such Bowyer will know what his options are without them. The other one simply hasn't fit into our system since he joined.

We've had a number of loan players come and go this season, from the frighteningly effective teenager Conor Gallagher to the more seasoned yet somewhat ineffective David Davis or Beram Kayal. This ignores the completely ineffective man Joe Ledley. (Short term contract - Not a loan)

One thing is for sure, every player has put in a shift and this is a feature that only Powell has seemed to get out of our squad since Curbishley left the club. 

The players we have fit going into the run in from the 'First Team Squad' on the O.S*: 

Goalkeepers:  
Dillon Phillips
Ben Amos
Ashley Maynard-Brewer

Right Backs:
Adam Matthews

Right Centre Backs:
Tom Lockyer
Deji Oshilaja

Left Centre Backs:
Naby Sarr
Jason Pearce

Left Backs:
Ben Purrington
Lewis Page (may still be injured)

Central Defensive Midfielders:

Darren Pratley
Sam Field (L)
George Lapslie

Right
Midfielders: 
Aidan McGeady (L)
Brendan Wiredu

Central Midfielders:
Josh Cullen (L)
Albie Morgan
Jake Forster-Caskey
Matt Smith (L)

Left Midfielders:

Alfie Doughty
Andre Green (L)

Central Attacking Midfielders:
Johnny Williams
Erhun Oztumer

Forwards:
Macaulay Bonne
Tomer Hemed
Chuks Aneke
Josh Davison

*Chris Solly, David Davis and Lyle Taylor have not been included for obvious reasons. 

We have a couple of formation options, Bowyer's favourites are:

The 4-4-2 Diamond or 3-5-2 with wing backs, if Page is fit, the latter could be particularly effective in the run in. 

We have an unusual situation for this 9 game block by being allowed 5 subs out of 9 to choose from. 

For me, Lee Bowyer's best formation if ALL are fit would be:

First 11: 

Phillips

Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr

Matthews | Cullen | Field | Williams | Page

Bonne | Hemed

Subs; Amos, Oshilaja, Purrington, Pratley, Morgan, Doughty, McGeady, Green, Aneke

It was a really tough decision to choose between Oztumer, Doughty and McGeady as to who to leave out of the squad.

I think Lee Bowyer's ability to get players to work together and to put themselves about will be really beneficial to our push for survival.

Be interested in other options that people think we may use. 

Comments

• edited June 2020
    It'll be great for Lewis if we can get a couple of friendlies lined up so he can get a bit of match fitness

Whether Bowyer decides to risk him or instead stick with Purrington / Doughty will remain to be seen I think I'd go with

Phillips
    Matthews | Lockyer | Sarr | Purrington
    Cullen | Pratley | Field
    Williams
    Bonne | Green

The five subs will certainly be interesting as we could make two at half time and still be able to have the three breaks in play to make the other changes

Depending how the game is going thats when I'd be inclined to bring on the likes of Forster-Caskey and McGeady to keep it nice and fresh in Midfield
  • Field showed signs of being a superb player - hopefully he is fully fit and ready to go
  • edited June 2020
    Probably worth mentioning that I'd probably accept Page saying he doesn't want to play for fear of injury, as he's already going to be without contract at the end of the season and an injury would ruin any chance of signing for any club. It'd be bloody hard to earn a contract without recent games, but his last injuries have been hellish returns and I feel for him. 

He won't do that though, as he's a proper professional and knows that he wants to earn his next contract. 

If he does play and plays well across these 9 games, I'd re-sign him as an average Page is better than Purrington.

An on fire Page is bloody decent to watch.
  • Bowyer said we have a squad of 23 to choose from, so what 3 on your list aren't on his? 

Wiredu, Field and AMB? Also Davison isn't on your list but far more likely to play over Wiredu IMO
  • Phillips
    Matthews, Lockyer, Sarr, Purrington
    Cullen/Pratley/ JFC - Not really sure who to put Field in place of really depends on the game. 
    Green/Bonne/Doughty

Looks quite strong, could perhaps use JW on the left. 

I prefer 4-5-1, here but will turn into a 4-3-3
  • If we can put a midfield diamond of Pratley-Field-Cullen-Williams out 6 or 7 times, we will stay up. 
  • edited June 2020
    sam3110 said:
    Bowyer said we have a squad of 23 to choose from, so what 3 on your list aren't on his? 

Wiredu, Field and AMB? Also Davison isn't on your list but far more likely to play over Wiredu IMO
    I knew I missed someone, but was unable to remember who. 

Sounds like Page, Field and AMB may not be in his plans as yet. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    If we can put a midfield diamond of Pratley-Field-Cullen-Williams out 6 or 7 times, we will stay up. 
    It will be a bit obvious which side we'll attack down.
  • edited June 2020
    4 DAYS OUT

Goalkeepers:  
    Dillon Phillips
    Ben Amos
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer

Right Backs:
    Adam Matthews

Right Centre Backs:
    Tom Lockyer
    Deji Oshilaja

Left Centre Backs:
    Naby Sarr
    Jason Pearce

Left Backs:
    Ben Purrington
    Lewis Page (may still be injured)

Central Defensive Midfielders:

Darren Pratley
    Sam Field (L)
    George Lapslie

Right
    Midfielders: 
    Aidan McGeady (L)
    Brendan Wiredu

Central Midfielders:
    Josh Cullen (L)
    Albie Morgan
    Jake Forster-Caskey
    Matt Smith (L)

Left Midfielders:

Alfie Doughty
    Andre Green (L)

Central Attacking Midfielders:
    Johnny Williams
    Erhun Oztumer

Forwards:
    Macaulay Bonne
    Tomer Hemed
    Chuks Aneke
    Josh Davison

No new names of players not willing to play, this despite Bowyer stating he expected there could be more. 

Special mention to Josh Cullen who has declared himself available for all 9 games. That little jack russell terrier is well up for the scrap. 

I think a 4-2-4 formation will do ;)

Phillips
    Matthews | Lockyer | Sarr | Page
    Cullen | Field
    Morgan | Bonne | Aneke | Doughty 

Go for as many goals as we can. 

Just kidding of course. We'll likely see the usual from Bowyer... I'm excited and terrified... 

One negative is that we've lost our captaincy structure with Solly & Taylor out of the picture and Sarr/Pearce fighting for the LCB position... We need a sturdy regular.

Is it Pratley or Phillips? No for me it is Cullen... A loanee as captain, but how important is he for us... 

Be interested in what formations and tactics others think we'll use. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Bowyer said we have a squad of 23 to choose from, so what 3 on your list aren't on his? 

I knew I missed someone, but was unable to remember who. 

Sounds like Page, Field and AMB may not be in his plans as yet. 
    Bowyer wouldn't be counting AMB in his 23 I assume, as unlike outfield players, you don't need to rotate keepers to keep them fresh.

I imagine a few of the U23s have been asked to keep themselves fit, but aren't in his plans, e.g. AMB, Wiredu, Dempsey, Stephenson
  • Forster-Caskey can play left back as well. he played pretty well there earlier on in the season. 
    I assume he could also play LM as well, with Green on the right
  • I think Williams would be best used for a tiring McGeady or ineffective Oztumer rather than the other way round. My reasoning is that he is capable of being an impact substitute and one that can change the attacking culture within a game, and we don't have many of those.
  • I prefer Robinson's favourite 4-2-3-1

Phillips
                   Cullen, Pratley
    Green, Aneke, Mc Geady
                Bonne.

• dickplumb said:
    I prefer Robinson's favourite 4-2-3-1

Phillips
                   Cullen, Pratley
    Green, Aneke, Mc Geady
                Bonne.

I like this set up, looks decent enough on paper!
  • Would swap Williams for McGeady in that line up
  • dickplumb said:
    I prefer Robinson's favourite 4-2-3-1

Phillips
    Cullen, Pratley
    Green, Aneke, McGeady
    Bonne.

Phillips
    Cullen, Pratley
    Green, Aneke, Williams
    Bonne

Definitely better with Williams in it. Options to replace as subs needed:

Williams - Oztumer/Doughty
    Green - McGeady
    Pratley - Field
    Sarr - Pearce
    Purrington - Page
    Aneke - Hemed

• seth plum said:
    I think Williams would be best used for a tiring McGeady or ineffective Oztumer rather than the other way round. My reasoning is that he is capable of being an impact substitute and one that can change the attacking culture within a game, and we don't have many of those.
    Good thinking. 

Oztumer hasn't ever changed a game when coming on and McGeady hasn't yet shone or had a chance to change a game coming on really. 

If we play Doughty wide left, I'd prefer Williams came on for the CAM anyway, which should be one of those two or Aneke. 
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Pratley is pretty much first name on the team sheet for me. 
    I think Pratley is the man you want to bring in to finish a game tight. 

Given his age, his ability to keep up must be taken into account. He'll always be in my squad, even if not starting. 
  • i know he was unfit before but there seems an awful lot of faith that Aneke will come good 
  • i know he was unfit before but there seems an awful lot of faith that Aneke will come good 
    I suppose many of us are jumping on Bowyer's recent praise for him. That and he has shown glimpses that there's a player there. 
    I'm definitely in that boat. Seen some snippets of him that I have liked. Decent in the air, maybe he could work well playing just behind Bonne and flicking it on.
    Without Taylor we will be lacking goals. Aneke has a goal in him as does Mc Geady. We are desperately short of goalscorers in midfield. Williams no goals for us Oztumer no goals for us, Lapslie one goal, Doughty one goal.

I am just hoping that Aneke comes good.
  • edited June 2020
    Have to say, Oztumer really has to show me something these last 9 games because I haven't seen one impressive performance from him so far this season, bar the first 45mins against Forest god knows how long ago.
  • Have to say, Oztumer really has to show me something these last 9 games because I haven't seen one impressive performance from him so far this season, bar the first 45mins against Forest god knows how long ago.
    Totally agree, we need players like Aneke and Oztumer to step up to the plate. Oztumer was a regular goalscorer for Walsall.
  • I know we've never seen it but is 4-3-3 a possibility, green is conventionally a LW, do we have anybody who can play RW? 
  • Sage said:
    Without Taylor up front, we need to try and be a bit more innovative to make us less predictable. I personally would try something a little like this...

Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Cullen Pratley Williams
    Green Bonne McGeady

Easily transferable to...

Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Cullen Pratley
    Green Williams McGeady
    Bonne

This way allows us to be a little more disciplined whilst having more than enough creativity in the team to hurt opposition. It would mean Green and McGeady doing a lot of work to get in and support Bonne whilst also causing opposition full-backs trouble with their skill and pace. It allows Williams to float around and find spaces to pick up the ball and be dangerous. It allows Cullen to be the industrious midfield that we know he is. Pratley to shield the defence and drop in if needed. It allows us to play football rather than going long or in behind all the time. Albeit, getting in behind with that personnel could be dangerous too.

As options for rotation and managing players fitness we have:
    Pearce and Oshilaja in for Sarr or Lockyer
    Page in place for Purrington
    Field, Forster-Caskey, Smith, Lapsie and Morgan can come in for Cullen or Pratley
    Aneke and Oztumer can come in for Williams
    Doughty in for McGeady
    Hemed in for Bonne

There is a lot we can do with the players with have, and I would personally really like to see us do something to surprise the opposition. We need to do something slightly different as we have lost so many goals from the team. 
    By surprise the opposition, do you mean like score a goal? :)

only joking, spot on as per Sage