Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Steve Priest

The flamboyant Sweet bass player Steve Priest has passed away aged 72. Great memories from my youth. RIP Steve. 

Comments

• Options
    RIP terrific band 
  • Options
    In their day they were massive, but subsequently underrated. Up there with the very best bands of the 70s. R.I.P. 
  • Options
    My best mate was a big Sweet fan, but I always considered them a novelty act and Priest a grotesque fool. All good showbiz I guess.
    RIP
  • Options
    Wow was just watching him singing his camp lines from ballroom blitz the other night. ...think Andy Scott is the only one left....fantastic band very underated musicians. RIP.
  • Options
    Fox on the run, Blockbuster, Ballroom Blitz, Love is like Oxygen, Teenage Rampage and more were top 70's rock songs. I think they were considered a novelty act because of the way they dressed and songs like Wig Wam Bam and Little Willy (which was about a cat at their recording studio). But actually, whilst they are a bit novelty-ish, they were actually good songs in their own right. Also, maybe the illusion of being a serious band requires you to take yourself too seriously, but look at some of Queen's songs like Fat bottomed girls (great song btw). Sweet were up there with the best. 
  • Options
    It would be good if there was a Sweet rediscovery. 
  • Options
    "Are you ready Steve?"

Some classic glam rock/pop hits

RIP
  • Options
    In their day they were massive, but subsequently underrated. Up there with the very best bands of the 70s. R.I.P. 
    I wouldn't go that far - there's some pretty stiff competition!
    That said, Sweet (and Mud) made some very enjoyable music.

RIP.

P.S. was it Sweet or Mud that did Tiger Feet?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mud
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

RIP.

Mud, and I think there is only a couple of them left.
  • Options
    RIP Steve. The first band I saw live were the Sweet at Greenwich Town Hall in 1973. That was the year of Blockbuster, Ballroom Blitz and Hell Raiser. They were a hard rock band and nothing like their Top of The Pops appearances.
    My first gig as well
    RIP Steve
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

RIP.

Mud did "Tiger Feet"

Steve Priest was the one that sang that line in a rather camp way "We just haven't got a clue what to do".

Grew up in the glam rock era and Sweet, T Rex, Slade, Mud etc etc were very much part of it. 

Come on, own up - who had platforms?

RIP
  • Options
    Written by Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman who also wrote Blockbuster, Ballroom Blitz and Hellraiser for The Sweet.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

RIP.

Mud did "Tiger Feet"

Steve Priest was the one that sang that line in a rather camp way "We just haven't got a clue what to do".

Grew up in the glam rock era and Sweet, T Rex, Slade, Mud etc etc were very much part of it. 

Come on, own up - who had platforms?

RIP
    I cannot tell a lie!
    Multi coloured - cream, brown and purple

• Options
    "Are you ready Steve?"

RIP
    Uh ha, 

Mick Ok

I remember seeing an interview with the writers of the ballroom blitz, Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman and they said, they timed the release of blitz just when other big hitters songs were leaving the charts. 

I am pretty certain a one off hit, I think the theme from Van Def Valk pipped it, the sort of song your grannies went out and bought once a year.
  • Options
    Loved The Sweet. Sad day.
  • Options
    "Are you ready Steve?"

RIP
    Uh ha, 

Mick Ok

I remember seeing an interview with the writers of the ballroom blitz, Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman and they said, they timed the release of blitz just when other big hitters songs were leaving the charts. 

I am pretty certain a one off hit, I think the theme from Van Def Valk pipped it, the sort of song your grannies went out and bought once a year.
    I certain it only got to No2 (for 3 weeks ?) but in recent years I heard it said it got to No1.  Different charts maybe ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw Sweet at what was Newcastle Polytechnic student's union .. to say the place was rocking is an understatement, they got the place steaming ((:>) .. great live band and to call, them just glam rock is to underestimate their abilities .. they were a prototype/benchmark for a lot of bands throughout the 70s and 80s and I m o were quite unique in their time

R I P Steve 
  • Options
    Hex said:
    "Are you ready Steve?"

RIP
    Uh ha, 

Mick Ok

I certain it only got to No2 (for 3 weeks ?) but in recent years I heard it said it got to No1.  Different charts maybe ?
    Yes in NZ I think...
  • Options
    Hell Raiser was the first record I ever bought.  It's a decision I've never regretted.

RIP Steve. 
  • Options
    Live they were a rock band, especially a little after the glam hits had dried up. I guess the Lord above asked "Are you ready Steve?" and he said "Yes".
  • Options
    Good band.
    RIP Steve.
  • Options
    RIP

Ballroom Blitz and Blockbuster are classic 70s singles. Fun times.
  • Options
    Very sad. I was in primary school when they were big, so no platform shoes for me. Best I can do is the tables in our class room were named after pop bands, so Sweet and Mud were also places where you sat (an all girls table got BayCity Rollers. Loved any number of the hits, Ballroom Blitz was my favourite. (But Tiger Feet was king).
    RIP Steve.
  • Options
    RIP - Sweet were so good in the Glam era. Looking back what fun music was in the 70's.
  • Options
    Waynes World.