Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

31/5 .. Happy Birthday .. Clint Eastwood

Comments

• Options
    Made his day.
  • Options
    They say the Good die young - clearly not the case!
  • Options
    Whupped em again  Josey 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    He’s a right wing gun nut who makes way more shitty films than good ones, and in Richard Jewell, made a propagandist film for Donald Trump!
  • Options
    You must be watching something different to me. I think he's a genius.

I watch films about things that wouldn't normally interest me at all, just because he's either directed it or starred in it and I know that means it'll almost certainly be good. 
  • Options
    Don't think much of him as an actor.  Probably played himself in Play misty for me.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday you are an Icon.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

I watch films about things that wouldn't normally interest me at all, just because he's either directed it or starred in it and I know that means it'll almost certainly be good. 
    Garden of Good and Evil? True Crime? Blood Work? Lol. Some of them look great - but Sully is a great example of how poor his scripts and execution are. Making something out of nothing is clearly not his talent. Let’s see a replay of the flight again instead. 

Hereafter is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. The performances in it are utterly hilarious. That’s partly because of his technique as a director - he films rehearsals without the actors knowing, then says that’s good enough. He never does more than one or two takes. It leads to performances like those he gets out of the amateur actors in Gran Torino, which is the most emperor’s new clothes film of all time. 

He does make some crackers - Unforgiven is incredible, Mystic River too. Most of his 70s/ 80s stuff is decent. 

As for American Sniper and Richard Jewell - they’re borderline irresponsible. The former was a war-mongering, gun nut loving ‘true’ story based on the flagrant lies of the subject himself (with a scene that features Bradley Cooper cradling a plastic baby cos, you know, that’s how Clint works) and the latter is a Trump dream that tells us not to trust the authorities or the media (if you’re not sure where he stands politically, take a look at his argument with an empty chair). 
  • Options
    Well I like him a lot, from early westerns to Dirty Harry.
    Good on him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    MrLargo said:

Garden of Good and Evil? True Crime? Blood Work? Lol. Some of them look great - but Sully is a great example of how poor his scripts and execution are. Making something out of nothing is clearly not his talent. Let’s see a replay of the flight again instead. 

Hereafter is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. The performances in it are utterly hilarious. That’s partly because of his technique as a director - he films rehearsals without the actors knowing, then says that’s good enough. He never does more than one or two takes. It leads to performances like those he gets out of the amateur actors in Gran Torino, which is the most emperor’s new clothes film of all time. 

He does make some crackers - Unforgiven is incredible, Mystic River too. Most of his 70s/ 80s stuff is decent. 

As for American Sniper and Richard Jewell - they’re borderline irresponsible. The former was a war-mongering, gun nut loving ‘true’ story based on the flagrant lies of the subject himself (with a scene that features Bradley Cooper cradling a plastic baby cos, you know, that’s how Clint works) and the latter is a Trump dream that tells us not to trust the authorities or the media (if you’re not sure where he stands politically, take a look at his argument with an empty chair). 
    Alright Barry Norman!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    bobmunro said:
    He’s a right wing gun nut who makes way more shitty films than good ones, and in Richard Jewell, made a propagandist film for Donald Trump!
    Oh do fuck off. The bloke is 90. Take your shitty opinions elsewhere.

All that started from me saying the 'Good' don't necessarily die young - a reference to one of his most famous roles which, clearly went about 50 feet over his head!
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Clint, I think you have made some great films, critics who needs them
  • Options
    Happy Birthday to him. He did indeed make some great films. Always liked his political views too...
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    MrLargo said:

All of the cinephiles who I trust pretty much agree. Some good, a lot of dross. American Sniper is a shitshow, and weirdly less racist than the book somehow. Still think Space Cowboys is a good film though.

But he'll always be known for having one of the strangest moments in modern American politics, which you alluded to earlier.

https://youtu.be/933hKyKNPFQ?t=183

• Options
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    bobmunro said:
    It’s amazing what he can do at 90, no doubt about that. But if you don’t like someone having an opinion you don’t agree with, maybe avoid online forums? They seem to wind you up really easily. 

bobmunro said:
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    bobmunro said:

All that started from me saying the 'Good' don't necessarily die young - a reference to one of his most famous roles which, clearly went about 50 feet over his head!
    No, I got the reference but I assume you meant it with a double meaning? Otherwise it doesn’t make much sense. 

Trying to bully someone out of a thread because you disagree is pretty pathetic on the part of many of you here. As SD says, I’m hardly alone in thinking this stuff. Still, if you fellas would rather just have a generic happy birthday thread, posting inane birthday salutations and offering no insight whatsoever, one that Clint isn’t ever going to read then don’t let me stop you. Sounds pointless to me but that’s just me. I’m sure the hugely popular millionaire will be just fine whatever I think of him!
  • Options
    Love Clint, ever since Rawhide.
    Josey Wales is in my top 5 ever.
  • Options
    She thinks I'm a great Indian chief. 

Now I wonder where she got that idea from.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I don’t think I’m being clever anymore than I’m looking for a reaction. I said he’s made shitty movies, it’s a forum for opinions and that’s mine. I’m more than happy to have someone balance that view out. If you weren’t so angry at the world maybe you could do that instead of being abusive. 

I think you‘ve massively overacted and now you’re even tagging my in snide comments in other threads. IMO you’re behaving pathetically. 

Edit - as for the sanctity of a birthday thread - that a joke? You seriously think we can only say ‘happy birthday’ in here? I literally know nothing about you so I ask you this sincerely  - are you child? 
  • Options
    I reckon so
  • Options

Bounty Hunter: Man's gotta make a living
    Josey: Dying ain't much of a livin' boy
  • Options
    So that’s why they call you Dirty Harry.
  • Options
    “I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?”.........
  • Options

Bounty Hunter: Man's gotta make a living
    Josey: Dying ain't much of a livin' boy
    Love it. 
  • Options
    Happy Birthday you are an Icon.
    Thanks mate.   Very kind of you to say.