Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stolen Number Plate

I had my plates stolen in Kidbrooke about 2 years ago. Happened twice on two different cars in the same street but I don't own the first car anymore. I reported it to the police at the time but nothing happened and have never had trouble because of it so didnt think anything more of it.

2 years later I've just bought petrol and the person at the checkout told me that the car had been seen stealing fuel and was on a database because of it. I explained about the stolen plates so he let me pay etc. but I'm not sure what the situation is now. Is there any way I can get the plates off of the system or am I going to have this every time I buy petrol now unless I change the number plate?

Anyone else been in the same situation?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Assuming the petrol garage have reported it to the police but I would recommend doing the same yourself. 

Unfortunately untill they catch the person or get the number plates it will still continue to be a pain to you. 

Hopefully the plates can be flagged on the ANPR system but you may get pulled over a few times in the process though. 

• Options
    Surely it’s not the same car though, so I don’t see why it’s a problem.
  • Options
    They tend to steal plates of same make and model. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Wouldn't anyone going to the trouble of stealing number plates go for the same make/model/colour car though to avoid arousing suspicion. 
  • Options
    Similar situation happened last year to a friend in the Manchester area, although in her case she got a road traffic violation ticket for a time when she was in work, and CCTV in the carpark proved her car was not on the road.  Turned out the numberplate had been cloned, and she had to prove hers was not the cloned one, which was a nuisance.

Police contacted her a few weeks later to ask if she had been regularly visiting a particular part of Manchester away from her home & work - she hadn't; it was the cloned car.  Another week or so passed and they contacted her again to say they had possession of the cloned car, and she should have no further issues.

So, yes, in the long run it is worth your while contacting the police.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    They tend to steal plates of same make and model. 
    This. A friend of mine, in her sixties had hers nicked a few weeks ago. We we going out somewhere and I met her at her house and followed her in my car. As we arrived I said "When we're your number plates nicked?" "Oh she says, I hadn't noticed!" I saw that we'd been passed by a few police cars and none batted an eyelid as they passed her. Probably being a older woman they didn't think that she fitted the profile of a stop-search. Her car incidentally is a 15 year old Corsa.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I actually watched a fella take off some plates revealing a different number underneath and I took the details and rang the police. They didn't seem too interested with taking the report.
  • Options
    I am aware of a disgruntled employee who borrowed a car exactly the same as his bosses. This was in the early 90's and he was able to have number plates made up to match his bosses from most motor parts shops.

In a weekend, he did 14 speed cameras and managed to get three parking tickets for his boss.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll contact the police again today and let them know. I'm sure we'll be fine as we reported it the same night it was stolen 2 years ago but it'll be a pain if it keeps getting flagged or we ever get pulled over.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Wouldn't anyone going to the trouble of stealing number plates go for the same make/model/colour car though to avoid arousing suspicion. 
    Oh, maybe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you have any to fit a white Range Rover. Asking for a friend......😉
  • Options
    I actually watched a fella take off some plates revealing a different number underneath and I took the details and rang the police. They didn't seem too interested with taking the report.
    This wasn't in the Durham area by any chance, was it? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    This wasn't in the Durham area by any chance, was it? 
    Yes. He said it was his mate, Boris's idea!
  • Options
    I had my plates stolen in Kidbrooke about 2 years ago. Happened twice on two different cars in the same street but I don't own the first car anymore. I reported it to the police at the time but nothing happened and have never had trouble because of it so didnt think anything more of it.

2 years later I've just bought petrol and the person at the checkout told me that the car had been seen stealing fuel and was on a database because of it. I explained about the stolen plates so he let me pay etc. but I'm not sure what the situation is now. Is there any way I can get the plates off of the system or am I going to have this every time I buy petrol now unless I change the number plate?

Anyone else been in the same situation?

Any advice appreciated.
    I would:-

1) contact the police again and tell them what has happened;

2) contact the DVLA - they will record your correspondence on the vehicle record for future reference. You could also ask them if you can change your number plate (although I am not aware this is done); and 

3) if you start getting any fines or speeding tickets, return them to the issuing authority, providing them with any documentary evidence that you have to prove your case.

It's best to be proactive here, otherwise potentially you could be storing trouble up for yourself. 
  • Options
    I was too young to know what was going on at the time but my old mans car got nicked in the early 70’s. He got it back after a few days but a week or so later had a knock at the door from 2 plain clothes coppers. They came in and asked him questions about his whereabouts on a certain date. My old man was totally confused and they started getting nasty with him (this was he 70’s), both he and my mum were scared shitless and my mum got very upset. After a while they mentioned the car and my old man twigged. It had been used in a bank robbery. Once he’d explained, they apologised profusely and fucked off. It affected my mum for a while and my dad complained but don’t think anything actually came of it. 
  • Options
    I was too young to know what was going on at the time but my old mans car got nicked in the early 70’s. He got it back after a few days but a week or so later had a knock at the door from 2 plain clothes coppers. They came in and asked him questions about his whereabouts on a certain date. My old man was totally confused and they started getting nasty with him (this was he 70’s), both he and my mum were scared shitless and my mum got very upset. After a while they mentioned the car and my old man twigged. It had been used in a bank robbery. Once he’d explained, they apologised profusely and fucked off. It affected my mum for a while and my dad complained but don’t think anything actually came of it. 
    Think that's bad? There was a wage snatch where my best mate's Dad used to work in the early 80s - his mum called the gavvers with an anonymous tipoff when she walked out on them... They came round and spent two days digging his back garden over... 
  • Options
    Plates are often stolen to avoid paying the congestion charge. That's way they need to find a matching car.