Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Simple Charlton related personal questions

I suggest going with the 1st thought/feeling that enters your mind when seeing the question. (Wembley fixtures not included)

1) What is the best Charlton game you have ever seen at the valley?

The most memorable. The one that just stands out and you love it. Not much else compares.

2) The best Charlton game you have ever seen on live TV. Can be either home or away. 

3) The best away day you have had and it stands out the most for you on a personal level.

4) The best live goal you have ever seen...scored by a Charlton player. Can be home, away or on TV.

5) Worst game you've seen at the valley

6) worst away day

7) worst goal we've conceeded. Most likely due to emotional heartbreak or anything else attached. 

Mine:

1. Charlton 4-2 Chelsea. 2003
2. Arsenal 2-4 Charlton 2002
3. Liverpool 0-1 Charlton 2004

4. Claus Jensen Vs Blackburn at home. 2004. 3-2.

16 years ago...and I still remember just feeling unbelievably positively shocked and relieved. Crazy moment. 

5. Plenty of those. The 1st one to enter my mind was Charlton 0-2 Wycombe fa cup 2006

6. Watford 5-0 Charlton 2015

7. A very very strange choice.

1st goal to enter my mind here though was Grant Baseys own goal at home against Derby to make it 2-2...in 2008

Desperately needed the 3 points.

I'm sure there are a lot worse moments then that...at the valley.

That particular moment put it's hand up 1st for me though.

Over to you

Comments

• edited May 2020
    1-Reading 2016 mainly because it was my sons first Charlton game
    2-Doncaster-Play Off Semi Final 2nd leg, I should have been there but for a fit the night before but was delighted to be able to watch it on tv
    3-Carlisle will never forget that day
    4-Kermorgant v Hartlepool at The Valley just for the angle
    5-Charton 0-0 Hull Monsoon weather and a dull game
    6-Millwall 4-0 (2010)
    7-Penalty against Peterborough sticks in my mind, we dominated that game and didnt deserve to lose, and it was never a penalty, I barely said a word for about 4 days afterwards 

I know they are all from the last few years, but I have a really bad issue with memory over the past few years and its hard for me to remember to far back anymore 
  • edited May 2020
    1. Charlton 2-2 Everton, 2003/4 - just a great game under the lights;
    2. Southampton 3-2 Charlton, 2003/4 - we lost but that team was the best I've seen;
    3. Millwall 0-2 Charlton, 1995/6 - orange ball in the snow, Mortimer's cameo...;
    4. Shaun Bartlett vs Leicester - just outstanding technique;
    5. Charlton 2-4 Notts County, 2011/12 - going 0-4 down at HT when you're top of the League?!;
    6. West Ham 5-0 Charlton, 2000/01 - cold and wearing that awful Ecru kit;
    7. Charlton 1-1 Hull, 2019/20 - may be recency bias and could've chosen several more from this season (eg Bristol C away) but that was a sickener.
  • edited May 2020
    (1) - Charlton 3-3 Man Utd
    We should have been about 3-0 up before the first goal, just an amazing performance

(2) - Middlesbrough 0-3 Charlton
    We absolutely ran them ragged

(3) - Yeovil 1-1 Charlton
    The trip to Somerset will always be one of my favourites, that one because of the rain

(4) - Darren Pratley against Doncaster
    Just the fact we'd gone from thinking we'd thrown our season away, to suddenly being back on track

(5) - Charlton 0-0 Hull
    Was torrential rain, no Football could be played, just an awful game to watch

(6) - Millwall 4-0 Charlton
    I simply refuse to attend the New Den after that result, even if we had a World All Stars team and they were Sunday League, they'd still beat us there

(7) - Plymouth 2nd Goal in a 2-2 draw
    We'd taken the lead in injury time, away day jinx of seven years was coming to an end... Nope they go straight down the other end and get a point
  • 1-Reading 2016 mainly because it was my sons first Charlton game
    2-Doncaster-Play Off Semi Final 2nd leg, I should have been there but for a fit the night before but was delighted to be able to watch it on tv
    5-Millwall 4-0 (2010)
    6-Charton 0-0 Hull Monsoon weather and a dull game
    7-Penalty against Peterborough sticks in my mind, we dominated that game and didnt deserve to lose, and it was never a penalty, I barely said a word for about 4 days afterwards 

I know they are all from the last few years, but I have a really bad issue with memory over the past few years and its hard for me to remember to far back anymore 
    You've answered Q6 wrong mate; its worst away game
  • 1-Reading 2016 mainly because it was my sons first Charlton game
    5-Millwall 4-0 (2010)
    6-Charton 0-0 Hull Monsoon weather and a dull game

You've answered Q6 wrong mate; its worst away game
    Lol got 5 and 6 round the wrong way, fixed it now cheers
  • @newyorkaddick and @ForeverAddickted the top of the thread did say Wembley fixtures not included and you both picked Naby Sarr v Sunderland lol
  • @newyorkaddick and @ForeverAddickted the top of the thread did say Wembley fixtures not included and you both picked Naby Sarr v Sunderland lol
    Cheers, updated mine now :)
  • edited May 2020
    1) Maybe 4-2 against Chelsea on Boxing Day

2) Have never seen a good game on t.v.

3) Carlisle promotion 2012

4) Yann last day of the season v Hartlepools

5) Leeds 6-1

6) Colchester in the cup. Only saving grace that it wasn't a long journey home.

7) Baby Sarr at Wembley 

That goal made me feel internally sick. Sort of like my stomach imploded. 80+ mins later....it became a rather different story.

The non Wembley thing is only because those games and goals would most likely make the top of everyone's list and for good enough reasons.

Just wanted to go down the non obvious route 👍 
  • edited May 2020

The most memorable. The one that just stands out and you love it. Not much else compares.

When we beat Blackburn 3-2 just for the absolute drama at the end, although Donny SF is on a par too.

2) The best Charlton game you have ever seen on live TV. Can be either home or away. 

I can't remember a single decent Charlton game on TV

3) The best away day you have had and it stands out the most for you on a personal level.

Yeovil 1-1.  Only arrived at half time as loads of Charlton were leaving.  First and only time I have seen a pro goalie take a goal kick and it go out for a corner.  Beating Man Utd at Old Trafford in about '87 lives long in the memory too.

4) The best live goal you have ever seen...scored by a Charlton player. Can be home, away or on TV.

Hmm.  Jenson, Kermy, Bartlett were all great but I loved the Gudmundson goal v Cardiff I think, sliding tackle and top bins.

Every game we ever play v Middlesbrough - they are all terrible... About 15 years ago we drew 0-0 with them  and I spent the first half on the bog with food poisoning from the fish and chip shop on Charlton hill... That was bad!  But the worst... V Wycombe in the cup, losing to a lower league team when we had a chance of Wembley and that twat Amdy Fay passing the ball to the touch line and just openly shrugging his shoulders.  I shall never forget that moment.

6) worst away day

Oldham away last day of the season when a win gave us a chance of promotion from L1 was bad; Swindon away in play offs was bad as was Shrewsbury.  But absolute nadir has to be v Sheff Utd in FA Cup with all those expectations.  Seen all the Millwall defeats but I expect them.  Ed.. then I remember Watford, was it 5-0? Luzon or Fraye just about to take over.

7) worst goal we've conceeded. Most likely due to emotional heartbreak or anything else attached. 

V Fulham at The Valley when that ref have the worst hand ball decision in history, we let a goal in from the free kick and I just knew after that we were going down from the PL

• Sponsored links:

• Jesus @Athletico Charlton I think you are right, just had a look and apart from 2016 and 1998 we have only ever beat boro by 1 goal at home(three 1-0s and one 2-1) the rest of the time we have drawn or lost

• edited May 2020
    My memory is terrible when trying to remember games, but here goes.....

1) 3-3 v Man U. Az a pp said, we should have been 3-0 up after 30 mins & they scored 2 quick goals before HT & as the teams trooped off I thought... wtf, we don't deserve that. Then at 1-3 everyone thought game over (sir Alex admitted this later). The fight in the team with 10 mins to go was unbelievable. To come back from 2 goals down against Man U is unheard of.

2) 2-4 v Arsenal (Black Sabbath). The only time in my lifetime we've beaten Arsenal in their back yard & I was at home watching on tv with the in laws  (pseudo Arsenal fans).

3) Portsmouth 2 seasons ago. Never sat down nor stopped singing from the moment we got into the ground (2.30pm) up the moment we left. The atmosphere that day was amazing. And I've been to a fair few away games in my time.

4) Very hard to pick just one. Page v Plymouth as it kicked started that run into the play offs. Bartletts volley. Mill's free kick at Villa.

5) The League Cup 1/4 at home v Wycombe. Premiership side at home v a much lower league side. We were so so poor that evening I even ran down to the front of the East stand & threw my shirt onto the pitch.

6) As many have said........The 4-0 defeat at The Den. Solly at left back says it all. Honourable mention to Yeovil in the rain.....sorry, monsoon. 

7) Hull's 97th min equaliser this season. If that hadn't gone in we would not be in the relegation zone right now. We didn't deserve that. Not then. Not now.

• 1) The 3-3 against Man U. If the Giggs from the half way line shot had gone in they'd be replaying it endlessly!

2) I can't think of a memorable game I watched on TV (not having Sky)

3) Battle of the Bridge in 1988 at Stamford Bridge. Absolute madness of an afternoon, but an amazing feeling afterwards. My first "proper" away game, I took two mates from Univ as well!

4) Bartlett vs Leicester

5) Maybe not the worst, but the 2-0 defeat to MK Dons in 2017 was dismal, especially as it was meant to be a tribute to PC Keith Palmer

6) Watford 5 Charlton 0. The whole farce of Luzon not having a work permit added to the feeling of our club being a laughing stock. The 6-0 at Hull was just as bad though...

7) The Fulham equaliser in 2006 from the incorrect handball decision. Such a massive goal in terms of how that season panned out
  • edited May 2020
    1. Charlton 4 Chelsea 2 in 2003

This just pips the 3-3 with Man Utd. Paulo Di Canio turning John Terry inside out for Johansson's tap in was magnificent and really put Chelsea in their place (at least for a fortnight until they poached our best player).

2. These have been few and far between, although I enjoyed our 2-1 win at Birmingham in 2013. Parker ran the game from start to finish and Kiely pulled off a memorable save from Christophe Dugarry near the end. The best Charlton team in my time.

3. Carlisle 2 Charlton 3 in 1986

What a memory. Promotion to the top flight for the first time in 29 years - and achieved in typical Charlton fashion after going 2-0 down early on.

4. Ray Treacy v Derby at The Valley in January 1969. I'm sure there have been better technical goals but the fact that it was in front of a 30,000 crowd, televised on The Big Match and in my first proper season as a supporter made it extra special.

I loved Allan Simonsen's second goal against Chelsea in the 5-2 rout in 1983, but it has to be Treacy's strike, following a lovely Bob Curtis cross (I think).

5. Spoilt for choice here but a terrible 0-0 against Stoke - one of the last games of the season in the mid-90s - stands out as having been particularly turgid and completely devoid of any technical quality.

6. Again, several to chose from but losing to a last minute goal at Millwall in 1994 was a sickener, especially as I was sitting on the halfway line, surrounded by some very odious individuals.

I find it hard not to enjoy an away trip if it's properly planned (assuming the journey itself doesn't go awry), even if Charlton turn in really poor performances like our last two at Stoke and Wednesday. I've seen us lose 7-0 at Brighton and 6-0 at Hull but they were both great day/weekends out. 

7. Hull's absurdly late equaliser just before Christmas takes some beating. Let's hope it doesn't ultimately prove decisive.
  • Jesus @Athletico Charlton I think you are right, just had a look and apart from 2016 and 1998 we have only ever beat boro by 1 goal at home(three 1-0s and one 2-1) the rest of the time we have drawn or lost

That 3-0 in ‘98 was a great performance. They missed a chance early on then we tore them apart. We turned over Forest, too - the two teams automatically promoted left The Valley with their arses handed to them. 
  • edited May 2020

1st game back v Portsmouth (closely followed by Cardiff 5-4 and Darlington 2109 play offs).

Boxing Day 4-2 v Chelsea

Aston Villa, 98/99, 4-3 away, Mills in the last minute

Mortimer away at Norwich, old 1st division in late 80's. Seemed just to waltz past everyone.

98 -99 v Sheffield Wednesday. Relegated from Premier League. Perhaps inevitable but there was always hope.

6) worst away day
    Genuinely don't have one. All away games are great for different reasons. So going to cheat as this needs mentioning. v Walsall in the cup at Selhurst when we were old first division. Knocked out 1-0 by lower division team, appalling display (most notably from Curbishley), shit ground, and the coldest I've ever been.

v Fulham at The Valley. Never a free kick, then taken from the wrong place, they scored and it ultimately sent us down.
  • edited May 2020
    Q3 THAT Pompey away game by a country mile. Multiple answers for all the other questions

• 1) What is the best Charlton game you have ever seen at the valley?

4-2 Chelsea

2-4 Arsenal

Chelsea away and we won 3-2. I reckon we had 10% of the ball over 90 mins. My old boss took me and he was a massive Chelsea fan. I reckon around 1974

Derek Hales v Hull . Goal of the season. 

Newport at home lost 1-0. Cup game. Many moons ago.

6) worst away day

3-2 Victory against Coventry. I was surrounded by people who I was ashamed to call Charlton fans. Took my niece and she never went again. 

Naby og at Wembley. I could see no way back.

• 1) Charlton 4-4 Norwich, 1997. 4-2 down in injury time, Leaburn with the equaliser. Feared for my safety when that goal went in & the Covered End erupted. 

2) Got to be Doncaster at home last season (play-offs). A real rollercoaster but winning the shoot-out & seeing the fans on the pitch was something else.

3) Wimbledon 4-5 Charlton, 1995. League Cup game at Selhurst Park. Great game & great noise from the Charlton fans that night. School the next morning for me. Return leg weren’t bad either (3-3).

4) A few spring to mind. Maybe Darren Bent when he skinned Mario Melchiot & put it in the top corner vs Birmingham, Premier League 2006.

5) Charlton 1-3 Carlisle, 2011. Freezing cold, miserable performance, small crowd. An all round grim night in League One. Depressing. 

6) Millwall 4-0 Charlton, 2010. No question. Left about half hour early & still couldn’t get out. Had to stand there & listen to it! 

7) Crystal Palace 1-0 Charlton, 1996. Play-offs second leg & end of our promotion hopes. Remember feeling really gutted watching them celebrate. 
    Thanks, changed
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2020
    Dave2l said:
    I suggest going with the 1st thought/feeling that enters your mind when seeing the question. (Wembley fixtures not included)

like many others 4-2 Chelsea Boxing Day

4-0 West Ham on Curbishleys return. 
    Had flown out to Koh Samui the day before and watched in The Islander pub. Spent a fortune on my phone speaking to my mates in the North Upper so I could hear the atmosphere 

too many but one of my favourite things was Bolton away after Mark Fish has joined us. He had been getting pelters from Bolton fans and as he ran over to take a throw in, he kissed our badge as he picked up the ball. Funny watching the reaction as about 20 Bolton fans tried to scramble down the stairs to get to him and he turned around, took the throw and ran off laughing. 

I know we shouldn’t choose the Wembley games but going for Newtons penalty in shoot out versus Sunderland. 
    As he approached the ball there was
    more chance of me scoring than him. Never seen a more uncomfortable penalty 

Another cheat. Going to choose losing in FA Cup to Walsall at Selhurst. We were top flight, they were Div 3. 
    Freezing cold  

6) worst away day

Gillingham FA cup. 
    Another freezing day. 
    Said to my dad get an early goal and kill the game off. We went one up from an early own goal and then put in as insipid a performance you are likely to see and got knocked out by the Gills

All the goals Palace scored against us in the playoffs

• MrOneLung said:
    Dave2l said:

like many others 4-2 Chelsea Boxing Day

4-0 West Ham on Curbishleys return. 
    Had flown out to Koh Samui the day before and watched in The Islander pub. Spent a fortune on my phone speaking to my mates in the North Upper so I could hear the atmosphere 

too many but one of my favourite things was Bolton away after Mark Fish has joined us. He had been getting pelters from Bolton fans and as he ran over to take a throw in, he kissed our badge as he picked up the ball. Funny watching the reaction as about 20 Bolton fans tried to scramble down the stairs to get to him and he turned around, took the throw and ran off laughing. 

I know we shouldn’t choose the Wembley games but going for Newtons penalty in shoot out versus Sunderland. 
    As he approached the ball there was
    more chance of me scoring than him. Never seen a more uncomfortable penalty 

Another cheat. Going to choose losing in FA Cup to Walsall at Selhurst. We were top flight, they were Div 3. 
    Freezing cold  

6) worst away day

Gillingham FA cup. 
    Another freezing day. 
    Said to my dad get an early goal and kill the game off. We went one up from an early own goal and then put in as insipid a performance you are likely to see and got knocked out by the Gills

All the goals Palace scored against us in the playoffs

Same answer - different question:-
    6) worst away day
    Genuinely don't have one. All away games are great for different reasons. So going to cheat as this needs mentioning. v Walsall in the cup at Selhurst when we were old first division. Knocked out 1-0 by lower division team, appalling display (most notably from Curbishley), shit ground, and the coldest I've ever been.