Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best female voice of the 70's

Comments

• Options
    so many to choose from,but stand out for me,and still going strong at nearly 80 is Joan Baez,beautiful haunting voice and very fine guitar player.
  • Options
    Hylda Baker
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I'll add a couple of very different voices

Maddy Prior and Donna Summer
    See above
  • Options
    Aretha for me. I prefer Nina Simone's songs but Aretha had an astonishing range (more than three octaaves) and sounded just as good singing Amazing Grace as she did Think. 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Aretha for me. I prefer Nina Simone's songs but Aretha had an astonishing range (more than three octaaves) and sounded just as good singing Amazing Grace as she did Think. 
    Thinking of Amazing Grace, Judy Collins had a great voice as well.
  • Options
    Quatro for early 70’s
    Bush for late 70’s
  • Options
    clive said:
    Hylda Baker
    Surely you mean Ogden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4wnbdXzCMs
  • Options
    Kathy Sledge - and she was doing it wearing braces.
    Precious Wilson
    Aretha Franklin
    Donna Summer
  • Options
    Robin Gibb 
  • Options
    How many of you know that Elkie Brooks has the most record sales than any other female artist in The UK.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How many of you know that Elkie Brooks has the most record sales than any other female artist in The UK.

Sauce?
  • Options
    Is Aretha officially of the Seventies?
    Either way she was special.
    Very special.
  • Options
    I thought Shirley Bassey was highest, but that's maybe worldwide rather than just UK wide. She's not out of place on this list as it happens.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    McBobbin said:
    I thought Shirley Bassey was highest, but that's maybe worldwide rather than just UK wide. She's not out of place on this list as it happens.
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't either Shirley or Adele (or possible Amy WInehouse or Kate Bush). Can't believe it's Elkie Brooks who's never even had a number 1
  • Options
    As a personal favourite, rather than “the best” , Judie Tzuke for me, though she only emerged in 1979. 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    McBobbin said:
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't either Shirley or Adele (or possible Amy WInehouse or Kate Bush). Can't believe it's Elkie Brooks who's never even had a number 1
    But has made many albums......more than any of the others mentioned.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    McBobbin said:

Yes she has, but you said 'sales'!
  • Options
    Jints said:
    McBobbin said:

Looking it up on Google, Adele is way out in front
  • Options
    Judee Sill. Great singer, amazing song writer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeITxqrAOws

Dead at 35 and a remarkable and gruelling back story.
    And wrote all her own songs too...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Linda ronstadt 
  • Options
    Lucinda Williams

EmmyLou Harris
  • Options
    Anetha and frieda 
  • Options
    Maddie Prior
    Gloria Gaynor
    Shirley Bassey
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    As a personal favourite, rather than “the best” , Judie Tzuke for me, though she only emerged in 1979. 
    Judie Tzuke bought my mates family home in Weybridge. He once had the lads round to help unload his hired transit and inside was an Isetta bubble car!
  • Options
    Annie Haslam 
  • Options
    Annie Haslam 
    Definitely needs to be on the list. I saw her 2/3 years ago, sounded good.  
  • Options
    Jints said:
    McBobbin said:

Looking it up on Google, Adele is way out in front
    She was but she's lost a lot of weight recently
  • Options
    Poly Styrene. 
  • Options
    Siouxsie Sioux