Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

VE DAY

Amazed not a thread on this so thought I would start one. Anyone else decorating their house? 
If I work out how to put the pics up I will

Comments

• edited May 2020
    Stewart said:
    Nice house. 
    Better than Danny Green’s?
  • We have a celebration at ours every 8 May.
  • It's a shame that this won't be nearly the celebration it may have been but for COVID-19.
  • Might be nice to toast with the neighbours etc. 
  • During our house decorating, we have had some lovely rapport and chats with our neighbours opposite, one of whom was 11years old at the time. Happy memories.
    Shame it can't be a full blown street party this time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tomorrow is my first day off after a series of nights so will be raising a glass of two at home in honour to all those that fought in the conflict....including the poor residents of some foreign countries who lost everything......
  • Should it be a celebration or a commemoration?

Civilians celebrated in 1945 but those that were actually there were far more reticent on their return.

The 75th Anniversary should certainly be marked, if for no other reason that is almost certainly the last 'big' number that those actually there will be able to take part in should they so wish, but how is the question.

I will probably raise a quiet glass to my relatives, those who survived and those who died, but that is me. 

Every family's experience of War was different so each to their own in their own way I guess.
  • We haven’t decorated our house but a work colleague who lives up in Suffolk said today his local reverend had been round with arm lids of bunting for them to put up as their village is to feature on the BBC tomorrow and they want it to look the best. 

I’ll look out for it. 
  • We haven’t decorated our house but a work colleague who lives up in Suffolk said today his local reverend had been round with arm lids of bunting for them to put up as their village is to feature on the BBC tomorrow and they want it to look the best. 

I’ll look out for it. 
    My friend and family live in Stalham, Norfolk, and I was surprised that she said there was no show of bunting etc. Surprised me with the RAF bases and military connections up there.
  • LenGlover said:
    Should it be a celebration or a commemoration?

Civilians celebrated in 1945 but those that were actually there were far more reticent on their return.

The 75th Anniversary should certainly be marked, if for no other reason that is almost certainly the last 'big' number that those actually there will be able to take part in should they so wish, but how is the question.

I will probably raise a quiet glass to my relatives, those who survived and those who died, but that is me. 

Every family's experience of War was different so each to their own in their own way I guess.

It should be both. There is a 2 minute silence planned at 11am in commemoration. Certainly after Churchill's speech (either at 2.45 or 3pm - reports differ!) it should turn into a celebration of Victory!
  • Sponsored links:

• Will be enjoying the day tomorrow, but VE is always bitter sweet for me, as my Dad fought in Burma. Didn't get home until January 1946, when he did get home they wouldn't let him have a pint in the Royal Oak which use to be next to Woolwich Arsenal station. 
    He was proper soldier, just like Windsor Davis in It aint Half Hot Mum.

Why wouldn’t they let him have a beer @usetobunkin ?
  • se9addick said:
    Will be enjoying the day tomorrow, but VE is always bitter sweet for me, as my Dad fought in Burma. Didn't get home until January 1946, when he did get home they wouldn't let him have a pint in the Royal Oak which use to be next to Woolwich Arsenal station. 
    He was proper soldier, just like Windsor Davis in It aint Half Hot Mum.

Why wouldn’t they let him have a beer @usetobunkin ?
    Also interested to know why.

My father always had issues with the MIlitary Police at Woolwich Arsenal station when he was returning to Mill Hill barracks after a few days leave to visit his family. They were checking anyone in uniform to make sure they weren't doing a runner 😲.
  • seth plum said:
    I wonder if there will be a marking of the end of the far east (forgotten) war.
    My father (like Captain Tom actually) was in Burma.
    Wasn't captured or killed by the way, and didn't build the bridge over the river Kwai.
    I would hope so Seth, VJ Day is 15 August IIRC.