Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Millie

Millie Small, the singer of the timeless "My Boy Lollipop" has passed away aged 73. RIP Millie.  

Comments

• Options
    Loved that song as a 5 year old, RIP Millie.
  • Options
    Remember Millie's song well. I also, with some embarrassment, remember doing it at a karaoke in Denmark many years ago when I was somewhat hammered. RIP Millie.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Sad news, I loved My Boy Lollipop when it came out, and it’s one of those timeless classics that still fills the dance floor today. 
    Island’s Chris Blackwell chose the song for Millie, and it was arranged by the great Ernest Ranglin of Skatalites fame, who also played guitar on the track. 
    Millie claimed that Rod Stewart played harmonica on the tune, but Rod denied it. 
    RIP Millie
  • Options
    Was she really 73? She must have been I suppose. 

I remember that effervescent 16 year old girl full of life singing 'My Boy Lollipop' and whatever age you were you loved it. I remember my grandmother singing it and this was a time grannies emphatically were NOT 'down with the kids.'

RIP Millie
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    seth plum said:
    RIP
    The impact at the time of Lollipop was really huge and significant, great happy pop tune, where I understand the harp solo was by Rod Stewart of all people. Possibly a not ideal and clumsy one, but a step forward in race relations.
    She made our hearts go giddyup.

It wasn't harp, it was harmonica. And it wasn't Rod Stewart, it was Pete Hogman. 

RIP Millie
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    The first reggae hit in the UK.

Technically, I guess it was ska or bluebeat.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP Millie
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    One of my childhood songs...RIP Millie!
  • Options
    God... how sad, I watched her on BBC4 only on Friday on a programme about the sixties. The first black Brit that had a number one record. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:
    RIP
    The impact at the time of Lollipop was really huge and significant, great happy pop tune, where I understand the harp solo was by Rod Stewart of all people. Possibly a not ideal and clumsy one, but a step forward in race relations.

It wasn't harp, it was harmonica. And it wasn't Rod Stewart, it was Pete Hogman. 

RIP Millie
    Harp is muso slang for harmonica @chizz
  • Options
    First time I became aware of Ska, a genre I absolutely love.
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP Millie
  • Options
    RIP little lady.....
  • Options
    1964 was it?
    Remember a young girl with a great song, full of innocence.
    Not many singers/ song's have the impact Millie did.
                      ...RIP
  • Options
    Was she a one hit wonder? Don't recall any other chartbusters from her?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes - I think she was @iaitch. But what a hit!
  • Options
    Absolutely, it's now in my head for the day.
  • Options
    Not much of a catalogue but what a hit that was. Was a big song from my childhood. RIP Millie
  • Options
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:
    RIP

It wasn't harp, it was harmonica. And it wasn't Rod Stewart, it was Pete Hogman

RIP Millie
    Other than that spot on :-)

RIP Millicent Small
  • Options
    & here's the original from 1956.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pESV1w1_x-Q