Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ancestry.co.uk Free UK Records access up until Sunday 10th May

All part of VE Day celebrations 

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/veday75

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for this, popped on there last night which gave me cause to open some of my departed  mums paperwork to find my dads death certificate only to find a Birth tag these days it’s a wrist band of a child named Edwina Chapman born 2 years after me. As far as I’m aware I don’t have a sister named Edwina or do I ? 😂

• Options
    What an intriguing discovery, @T_C_E
    If you decide to follow it up, you my well have found a project to keep you busy between dog walks and training Bow.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    If you decide to follow it up, you my well have found a project to keep you busy between dog walks and training Bow.
    Good luck!
    I don’t like to do to much digging around my family’s background in case I find something that makes things even worse ( if that were possible) 😂 I don’t really understand how to follow up (without buying certificates etc) any findings I make. I did look into the address where my father died in Eltham last night and its still standing but as my wife said last time I found something out it wasn’t nice. I just hang onto the hope that one day I could hug someone other than my wife and say they are family. 
  • Options
    I can never seem to find much on these sites, all I can get is birth and marriage records for my Grandfather and that's about it.
  • Options
    thanks for the heads-up DA9. I have now discovered, despite my Dad's insistence otherwise, that my paternal grandfather did serve in WW1 in both the London Regiment and the Labour Corps and was in fact injured on 09/07/2017, in France or Belgium (not sure which as he served in both), an injury which I believe led to his discharge. I am now going to make further investigations. I now find it bizarre, and also quite sad in a way, that I have organised two trips in recent years to first Ypres and then the Somme and listened to stories from those on the trip of their relatives who had served and died, and who knows I may have stood on or close to the place my own grandfather was injured without even knowing it. I will have to revisit once I know more.
    That’s extremely frustrating Large. Would be interesting if you posted what you now know. 
  • Options
    Thankfully dont have to do too much research into my family... Went on recently and found a cousin (who Id never heard of) had done the family tree already)

Whilst I cant view more recent records it allowed me to find that my son William is the first Grandson to be named after a Grandfather further back down the line yet is the first since 1795

As for my Great-Great Grandparents, both died within three months of each other at the end of 1918 (so presume Spanish flu), they had 15 children yet five lived to see the turn of the century in 1900

As for my Great Grandfather I learnt he grew up in Charlton and lived the road behind the BP Garage along the Woolwich Road which ironically is where my Dad used to pick me up after a game
  • Options
    thanks for the heads-up DA9. I have now discovered, despite my Dad's insistence otherwise, that my paternal grandfather did serve in WW1 in both the London Regiment and the Labour Corps and was in fact injured on 09/07/2017, in France or Belgium (not sure which as he served in both), an injury which I believe led to his discharge. I am now going to make further investigations. I now find it bizarre, and also quite sad in a way, that I have organised two trips in recent years to first Ypres and then the Somme and listened to stories from those on the trip of their relatives who had served and died, and who knows I may have stood on or close to the place my own grandfather was injured without even knowing it. I will have to revisit once I know more.
    Great research Large bro. I just hope that it was in France. Gives me a good come back when I next meet another fascist wanker.
  • Options
    Is it me  or is that website crap? I signed in, and gave my name and date and place of birth, and pressed search. It then gave me a list of 60 pages with variants on the name, place of birth anywhere in the UK. The dob was also spread over a wide range, which made me wonder why they asked.. By accident I found my dad on page 4, but again, it demanded names of his parents plus birth/death details, which I sort of assumed it would find for me. If the search engine ignores the data  it seems like I'm doing all the work. And as I doubt I'm related to anyone wildly important, I gave up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You have to put some time into it, I did my tree a few years back, got back about 8 generations, turns out my family were all lifeboat men (now I know why I have sea legs) and came from a Village in Norfolk called Winterton - which just happened to be where we'd holiday'd for about the prior 10 years! Bizare.

Didn't find anything hugely interesting, this bloke who is my great great great great uncle was about as exciting as it got.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Haylett
  • Options
    Is it me  or is that website crap? I signed in, and gave my name and date and place of birth, and pressed search. It then gave me a list of 60 pages with variants on the name, place of birth anywhere in the UK. The dob was also spread over a wide range, which made me wonder why they asked.. By accident I found my dad on page 4, but again, it demanded names of his parents plus birth/death details, which I sort of assumed it would find for me. If the search engine ignores the data  it seems like I'm doing all the work. And as I doubt I'm related to anyone wildly important, I gave up.
    It's like a database to which the public have to contribute information, which it then links together.

I think.
  • Options
    It's like a database to which the public have to contribute information, which it then links together.

I think.
    So a bit like Wiki? Nimer could end up being Roland's love child on that basis!
  • Options
    That’s extremely frustrating Large. Would be interesting if you posted what you now know. 
    only found that out about 3am this morning, will post more when I know more.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    You have to put some time into it, I did my tree a few years back, got back about 8 generations, turns out my family were all lifeboat men (now I know why I have sea legs) and came from a Village in Norfolk called Winterton - which just happened to be where we'd holiday'd for about the prior 10 years! Bizare.

Didn't find anything hugely interesting, this bloke who is my great great great great uncle was about as exciting as it got.

things like that are bizarre. We stayed at a holiday cottage once in a small Norfolk village called Northrepps. A couple of years later I was doing a bit of research on my Dad's cousin, he was an author/playwright of some notoriety and on radio a lot way back when, and I found out he was buried in the cemetery of the church opposite the cottage we had stayed in. If I'd known I'd have popped in and said hello !
  • Options

I found it pretty easy and have gone back four generations in just a few hours but saying that it does help to have a very uncommon surname. Found my grandfathers nine siblings really easily.

@jimmymelrose - looks like our great, great grandfathers wife has a French maiden name, we have a look into it when I have a chance.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Does notoriety run in your family Large ?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

things like that are bizarre. We stayed at a holiday cottage once in a small Norfolk village called Northrepps. A couple of years later I was doing a bit of research on my Dad's cousin, he was an author/playwright of some notoriety and on radio a lot way back when, and I found out he was buried in the cemetery of the church opposite the cottage we had stayed in. If I'd known I'd have popped in and said hello !
    Indeed, we first went then as a last minute holiday when my wife had just given birth back in 2003, it was simply a cottage that was available last minute and looked OK and wasn't hours away.

Having in more recent years after finding out been around the church literally every other grave is a relative of mine! I'm really not a believer in most things...... but fate was definitely working that day back in 2003.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Did I tell you that I bought one his books last year. Extremely well written and hugely descriptive but not much happens.
  • Options

I found it pretty easy and have gone back four generations in just a few hours but saying that it does help to have a very uncommon surname. Found my grandfathers nine siblings really easily.

@jimmymelrose - looks like our great, great grandfathers wife has a French maiden name, we have a look into it when I have a chance.

There are far more people in the north east of France with our surname than  in all England. I've looked it up. Also, there's a village in France with our surname but none in England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2020

There are far more people in the north east of France with our surname than  in all England. I've looked it up. Also, there's a village in France with our surname but none in England.
    Her name won't be ......
  • Options

Her name won't be Target.
    I wasn't referring to her but stating a separate discovery. 

What was her surname?

I think we should switch to what's app.

Can you delete our surname above please?
  • Options
    Glad to be of service, I just knew this would go down well on CL 
  • Options

Her name won't be .......
    I wasn't referring to her but stating a separate discovery. 

What was her surname?

I think we should switch to what's app.

Can you delete our surname above please?

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    N01R4M said:
    Good luck!
    I don’t like to do to much digging around my family’s background in case I find something that makes things even worse ( if that were possible) 😂 I don’t really understand how to follow up (without buying certificates etc) any findings I make. I did look into the address where my father died in Eltham last night and its still standing but as my wife said last time I found something out it wasn’t nice. I just hang onto the hope that one day I could hug someone other than my wife and say they are family. 
    Some good things could come from the past Ray, I’ve discovered that the father I never knew fathered at least ten kids and I met 2 brothers and a sister for the first time two years ago. Also found another sister in Plymouth who thought she was an only child when in fact she was number five of at lest ten. My eldest two sisters were the only two that weren’t interested. Today I’m closer with one of my newly found brothers than I was with any of the siblings I grew up with. If you want any assistanceOr in fact if anyone wants any help tracing their heritage I’m happy to help. 
  • Options
    I can never seem to find much on these sites, all I can get is birth and marriage records for my Grandfather and that's about it.
    Takes a lot of patience but it’s pretty much all there if you work through it methodically. Take other members tree information with a pinch of salt though as a lot especially from the States are just name collectors. I always look for proof  before I accept any kind of suggestion. As I said, it’s all there if you look carefully. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Will Large find out your related to uncle Albert?
  • Options
    TEL said:
    T_C_E said:
    N01R4M said:
    Good luck!
    Some good things could come from the past Ray, I’ve discovered that the father I never knew fathered at least ten kids and I met 2 brothers and a sister for the first time two years ago. Also found another sister in Plymouth who thought she was an only child when in fact she was number five of at lest ten. My eldest two sisters were the only two that weren’t interested. Today I’m closer with one of my newly found brothers than I was with any of the siblings I grew up with. If you want any assistanceOr in fact if anyone wants any help tracing their heritage I’m happy to help. 
    Haha, you’ve not had dealings with my family. 
    Through Friends Reunited I found an Aunt on my mums side and spoke her daughter via fb, I asked how she and her family including my Grandmother were, she replied “As you know our families had a disagreement in1968 so I’ve no wish to communicate on family matters, I wish you a good life” Bye. 
    I’ve never met anyone on my fathers side ever, I suspect they blame my mother for him taking his life, I cannot recall mum ever mentioning dads side of the family and they distanced themselves after his death. 
  • Options
    Were your grandfather's first names Samuel Arthur and did he live in Deptford? ? If so I have some info on him.
  • Options
    Were your grandfather's first names Samuel Arthur and did he live in Deptford? ? If so I have some info on him.
    Yes, that's him, I am intrigued as to what information you have Wendy. Please PM me.