Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We are relegated by Reading

Although the team still have an outstanding fixture away to Reading we are relegated according to a computer simulation system devised at the University there.

Seemingly, it runs all of the remaining fixtures 10,000 times having fed in certain known parameters at the time of the cessation of games.
Then its something to do with percentages but the bottom of the table sees us down along with Luton and Barnsley all in the same positions which those teams currently occupy. The only 'winners' are Wigan who leap out of the bottom 6.

But this is football for heaven's sake - if they ran the Charlton v Huddersfield game a million times over on a computer when we were 1-5 down, with 10 men and only 28 mins left - how often would it give us a 7-6 victory?

Championship: Experts at University of Reading predict the 'final table'

By Brent Pilnick

BBC Sport

Comments

• Options
    Although the team still have an outstanding fixture away to Reading
    Pretty sure we don't
  • Options
    rina said:
    Although the team still have an outstanding fixture away to Reading
    Pretty sure we don't
    Still got a home fixture against Reading. Have already played them away. The predictions don't include potential points deductions, unfortunately including us, but also includes Reading
  • Options
    On Talksport they have just drawn the results for the final weekend of the season. We lost 4-2 at Leeds. Fulham won 2-1 at Wigan. Millwall won 5-1 at home.

They will be updating their tables, obviously they have been doing this every week, and will reveal the final table next week. 
  • Options
    Boro drew 3-3 at Sheffield Weds and Barnsley lost.
  • Options
    How did they 'draw' the results. I thought of doing this every week with dice just for fun.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52507779

Not a surprise we ended up in the forecast bottom 3, we weren't playing well and our remaining fixtures were quite hard too. Our only hope would be that Hull do even worse than us!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    se9addick said:
    The British people are sick of listening to experts 
    Agreed. It’s utter bollocks. You can’t predict the results - things like Red Cards, penalties, suspensions, injuries, shit refs etc etc aren’t taken in to account.  I bet Professor Reade supports Leeds. 
  • Options
    Today would have been the last day of the season right?

So according to that we'd have been depressed at Leeds away, conceding 4, watching them celebrating the league win & promotion.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2020
    se9addick said:
    Agreed. It’s utter bollocks. You can’t predict the results - things like Red Cards, penalties, suspensions, injuries, shit refs etc etc aren’t taken in to account.  I bet Professor Reade supports Leeds. 
    Wouldnt surprise me if some people do believe this shit though.

Would like to see these experts predict it at the start of the season. They can take the betting companies to the cleaners 
  • Options
    what a waste of everyone’s time
  • Options

So according to that we'd have been depressed at Leeds away, conceding 4, watching them celebrating the league win & promotion.

To be fair, that’s exactly what would have happened! We don’t need anybody to predict that - it’s just a given.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Wouldnt surprise me if some people do believe this shit though.

Would like to see these experts predict it at the start of the season. They can take the betting companies to the cleaners 
    At the time the league was suspended, the bottom 3 clubs were the 3 promoted from L1, while the top 3 were Leeds, WBA and Fulham

I imagine a lot of people would have predicted that last summer.
  • Options
    How did they 'draw' the results. I thought of doing this every week with dice just for fun.
    With dice.
  • Options

To be fair, that’s exactly what would have happened! We don’t need anybody to predict that - it’s just a given.
    I think we'd have gone down, but whether Leeds would have managed to mess it up again....
  • Options
    Although the team still have an outstanding fixture away to Reading we are relegated according to a computer simulation system devised at the University there.

Seemingly, it runs all of the remaining fixtures 10,000 times having fed in certain known parameters at the time of the cessation of games.
    Then its something to do with percentages but the bottom of the table sees us down along with Luton and Barnsley all in the same positions which those teams currently occupy. The only 'winners' are Wigan who leap out of the bottom 6.

But this is football for heaven's sake - if they ran the Charlton v Huddersfield game a million times over on a computer when we were 1-5 down, with 10 men and only 28 mins left - how often would it give us a 7-6 victory?

Championship: Experts at University of Reading predict the 'final table'

By Brent Pilnick

BBC Sport

Do we have to play Reading away twice?
  • Options

Like it was a given Leeds would have beat us in September.

I dont get people saying things like this  saw one the other day say Hull would have slaughtered us.

Football is unpredictable, who knows what may or may not have happened but nothing is a given in football results, we have proved that ourselves this season.

Would Leeds have won, more than likely yes but there is a chance we could have caused an upset like we did back in September 
  • Options

I dont get people saying things like this  saw one the other day say Hull would have slaughtered us.

Football is unpredictable, who knows what may or may not have happened but nothing is a given in football results, we have proved that ourselves this season.

Would Leeds have won, more than likely yes but there is a chance we could have caused an upset like we did back in September 
    We were a MUCH better team in September though, thanks to the dismal January transfer window
  • Options

We were a MUCH better team in September though, thanks to the dismal January transfer window
    If all injuries were back the only differences from the game that started in September could have been

Taylor for Leko
    Green for Gallagher 

Add to that the likelihood of Matthews for Solly

And would the squad if been MUCH worse of than the team that beat Leeds in September 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    According to BBC, we are relegated 

According to Sky, we stay up

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1030106227?-11197:833

I think I will agree with FM

• Options
    On Talksport they have just drawn the results for the final weekend of the season. We lost 4-2 at Leeds. 
    Glad I swerved it 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    According to BBC, we are relegated 

According to Sky, we stay up

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1030106227?-11197:833

I think I will agree with FM

Can’t believe they allowed Leeds to lose. 
  • Options
    If teams could get relegated by reading, wouldn't Millwall be Champions every year?
  • Options
    I wonder how many of the people involved in the computer simulation will stick a fiver on every result the computer came up with. 
  • Options
    I wonder how many of the people involved in the computer simulation will stick a fiver on every result the computer came up with. 
    Errrrr........... Grammar Police alert!

Shouldn't this be in the conditional using 'would'?;-
  • Options
    I imagine that if you bet on football based on a sophisticated computer programme, you wouldn't get it right in every game but overall you'd make a nice profit.
  • Options
    Errrrr........... Grammar Police alert!

Shouldn't this be in the conditional using 'would'?;-
    At this stage, there is no reason to believe that the season will not be completed. Therefore, I am wondering whether the people will stick a fiver on every result (when the games are played). Of course, I appreciate why you are make everything conditional in these uncertain times, but, to take this to its full conclusion, every event in the future is conditional on it taking place. You could never say that I think Charlton will be in the Premier League in 2025 because Charlton, the planet, football etc. may not exist. Over to you. :smile: