Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Real Madrid v Charlton Athletic 24 April 1955

Thanks to @cafcfacts for the reminder.

65 years ago Real paid Charlton to come out and play them!

Some stuff we have in the museum on it

The History of Charlton in 23 Objects https://cafcmuseum.net/uncategorized/the-history-of-charlton-athletic-in-23-objects/

The reverse of that ticket

The pennant Real gave to us.  We're not sure if we gave a gift to them.  We know we did when we played Benfica in 1947

Comments

• This would have been the same time that Di Stéfano played for Real Madrid, wonder if he played in this match? 
  • So after a trip to the museum today my son just told me this story that @Henry Irving told him while I was elsewhere with my other boy (which I never knew). He was amazed we played 3 games in 4 days!

He remembered the year, the teams and all the details. If you could him a story about doing homework and tidying rooms next time Henners that would be great…
    Did you have to go after your other son after he ran off in tears saying, "Daddy, please make the boring man stop talking"?
  • Now we just need Thomas's (pipe)dream to come true and we'll have a chance of playing Real every year.
  • So after a trip to the museum today my son just told me this story that @Henry Irving told him while I was elsewhere with my other boy (which I never knew). He was amazed we played 3 games in 4 days!

He remembered the year, the teams and all the details. If you could him a story about doing homework and tidying rooms next time Henners that would be great…
    I remember the season we almost went up, losing out the Palace for second place behind Derby, we played Good Friday, the day after, and Easter Monday.  Beat Cardiff 4-1, Middlesborough 2-0, can't recall the other result.

I remember the season we almost went up, losing out the Palace for second place behind Derby, we played Good Friday, the day after, and Easter Monday.  Beat Cardiff 4-1, Middlesborough 2-0, can't recall the other result.
    That happened nearly every Easter.

Difference here is we flew overnight to Spain

We drew 0-0 at Birmingham, 68/69 season.

We still had genuine hopes of promotion at the time but Palace had games in hand and won most of them to get the second place quite comfortably.
  • Mametz said:
    So after a trip to the museum today my son just told me this story that @Henry Irving told him while I was elsewhere with my other boy (which I never knew). He was amazed we played 3 games in 4 days!

We still had genuine hopes of promotion at the time but Palace had games in hand and won most of them to get the second place quite comfortably.
    We drew far too many games
  • Surely it was a mistake, wasn't it?
    It sounds great from an anecdotally historical perspective, but surely it hampered a real possibility of promotion to the top division and thus changing Charlton Athletic history more in our favour.

• Sponsored links:

• Surely it was a mistake, wasn't it?
    It sounds great from an anecdotally historical perspective, but surely it hampered a real possibility of promotion to the top division and thus changing Charlton Athletic history more in our favour.

??
  • Pennant still on display tomorrow (Friday) from 11 to 2.30 and on Saturday from 11 to 1.00 

For @jimmymelrose

Playing Real Madrid didn't stop us getting promoted in 1969 as we played them in 1955 when we were already a Division 1 side.

• @AFKABartram He's D's next  history lesson

but only when he's cleaned his room and finished his other homework
  • Mametz said:
    So after a trip to the museum today my son just told me this story that @Henry Irving told him while I was elsewhere with my other boy (which I never knew). He was amazed we played 3 games in 4 days!

My first away game outside London.
  • There's a very small group of us Charlton fans here in Madrid! :)
  • Pennant still on display tomorrow (Friday) from 11 to 2.30 and on Saturday from 11 to 1.00 

For @jimmymelrose

Playing Real Madrid didn't stop us getting promoted in 1969 as we played them in 1955 when we were already a Division 1 side.
    Ah, yes, sorry. I got confused as people were talking about the 68-69 season.
  • Amazing. I didn’t know this.
  • Wonder how many Charlton fans “jibbed in” without a ticket?! 
  • Did VAR help us out too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Did VAR help us out too.
    Yeah, we only lost 99-0 after they had their hundredth ruled out!
  • edited May 2022
    "Jolly good, Madrid.  Continue to play like that and you should find yourselves Champions of Europe on a number of occasions."

"Us?  Oh, we'll be fine.  Why, in the next 60 years or so we should reinforce our position as one of the World's great Clubs.  I mean ... it's not like we're going to be in the Third Division any time soon."

:-)
  • Never knew this, pretty impressive we only lost 5-3 to the side that won La Liga that season and then dominated European football for years. And after playing the day before and traveling overnight.
  • Never knew this, pretty impressive we only lost 5-3 to the side that won La Liga that season and then dominated European football for years. And after playing the day before and traveling overnight.
    They probably only put a team out for the last 10 mins! 
  • Can we use the Millwall trick of counting the time we didn't play each other to be part of an unbeaten run against them? So we are unbeaten against Real Madrid in 65 years?