Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    RIP Donald.
  • Options
    a few photos we didn't have space to use.

Bring your boots postcard from Jimmy Seed to Don.
  • Options
    Don, 6th from right back row during a kick about with RAF colleagues
  • Options
    I didn't know this story. Be bad enough to be killed in action against an enemy, but to die in a mid air collision with a friendly aircraft is doubly tragic .. R I P 
  • Options
    @DA9 and others have volunteered to give Don's grave a clean and tidy when the lockdown is over.

Any able to help contact @DA9
  • Options
    some more on Reg Davis  @Amos on the wing 

Reginald DAVIS

Inside-forward (serving in Navy in 1941). Educated at Our Lady of Grace School, Charlton.

He was an ever-present in the Charlton Athletic Junior team in 1939/40, playing in 12 league games and two friendlies. He hit a  hat-trick for Charlton Athletic juniors against Trojans (of Sidcup) in a friendly at The Valley on 6.4.40 - also scoring against Millwall Juniors at The Den on 13.4.40. His best achievement was scoring five goals against Crystal Palace on 29.05.40 when Jimmy Seed described his performance as, “very useful indeed”. He scored a total of 9 league goals.

He played in all the matches in 1940/1 for which line-ups are available, scoring two league goals

• Options
    Facinating
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.philhadleypublications.com/raf-portreath-war-diary

Ebook covering the whole story of RAF Portreath at war including Don Homer.
  • Options
    some more on Reg Davis  @Amos on the wing 

Reginald DAVIS

Inside-forward (serving in Navy in 1941). Educated at Our Lady of Grace School, Charlton.

He was an ever-present in the Charlton Athletic Junior team in 1939/40, playing in 12 league games and two friendlies. He hit a  hat-trick for Charlton Athletic juniors against Trojans (of Sidcup) in a friendly at The Valley on 6.4.40 - also scoring against Millwall Juniors at The Den on 13.4.40. His best achievement was scoring five goals against Crystal Palace on 29.05.40 when Jimmy Seed described his performance as, “very useful indeed”. He scored a total of 9 league goals.

He played in all the matches in 1940/1 for which line-ups are available, scoring two league goals

And here, second from the left, is a photo of Reg Davis (my uncle, as it happens) with his Dad, a WW1 veteran, and four of his bothers who were all in the armed services during WW2. My Dad Ron (also of @Davo53)is on the extreme right. 

Don't know if you've got this @Amos on the wing?

• Options
    @DA9 or anyone local to Dartford, are you still up to carry out some tidying up on Don's grave?
  • Options
    @DA9 or anyone local to Dartford, are you still up to carry out some tidying up on Don's grave?
    I am, things got put on hold due to covid etc, but still want to get this done 
  • Options
    Yeah, Covid stop a lot of things.

I'll message you.
  • Options
    Lest we forget
  • Options
    Only just seen this. My wife’s family are Homers from Dartford. I’ll check if there’s any link. Must be surely. 
  • Options
    He’s in the same cemetery as our parents.
    Next time I’m over I’ll pay my respects and give a wee tidy up ♥️
  • Options
    Fantastic to see that this project is still in the pipeline …..well done to all concerned.
    Very much looking forward to seeing the results of your endeavours. 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm due to the cemetery soon (my mother in law is buried there), I'll take a look and give it a spruce up.