Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

DIY Thread

I'm useless at this type of stuff, but needs must at the moment.

So first up - anyone know if fence paint or decking paint be ok for a wooden garage door?

Have both, and should have some left over from doing the decking and fences.

Comments

• Options
    Depends what you mean by paint mate

In my experience, I would advise against decking oil / stain on anything that's vertical, unless you take it off and wait for the stain to 100% dry
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Not a paint expert but have painted both. Fence paint is very watery and probably wont work well on a garage door as the wood is too hard. Fence are softwood generally and so the water passed paint can soak in. For a garage door i'd have thought that you want something that is water proof to stop it rotting.  A decking paint may not be the best but definitely the best of the two, if have thought. Some DIY shops are still open, but not really an essential journey. 
  • Options
    Not related to the OP but another DIY question:

I removed a radiator for some plastering and the holes were filled in by the plasterer - what's the best way to reposition it? Was thinking connect to pipes and try line up where the brackets should go? Don't want to end up sticking loads of holes in my newly plastered and decorated wall by making mistakes!
  • Options
    Ok cheers so maybe try to order garage specific stuff when I can!
  • Options
    Are the garage doors smooth planed wood?if so I wouldn't use shed  and fence products they go onto rough wood. 
    You need sadolin extra or something similar. 
  • Options
    I read that as wooden garage floor which was a bit confusing.

You’ll want to get an exterior wood paint I reckon. 

Amazon have Ronseal 10 year weatherproof you can get delivered in gloss or satin in a range of colours. 

• Options
    If you want to actually paint them mate, Farrow & Ball paint gives good coverage on wood. Mrs painted our old shutters using it a couple of years back and done a great job. The pastel colours have been the rage for the last couple of years, but I'm sure they do the solid colours too
  • Options
    I read that as wooden garage floor which was a bit confusing.

You’ll want to get an exterior wood paint I reckon. 

Amazon have Ronseal 10 year weatherproof you can get delivered in gloss or satin in a range of colours. 

A lot sold out on there at the moment.

I like the wooden look but my wife is tempted to (get me to) paint it and the front door the same colour, which does make some sense.

• Options
    Just realised @North Lower Neil and @Alwaysneil are  2 different people
  • Options

So first up - anyone know if fence paint or decking paint be ok for a wooden garage door?

Amateur DIYers accidents are notorious A&E filler uppers .. is it wise at this time to put another potential burden on the NHS ?  .. ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surprising that, seeing as they have different names.  Next you'll be saying I'm not @Addick Addict.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I'm only sometimes Neil.

Don't ask me about weekends.
  • Options

Amateur DIYers accidents are notorious A&E filler uppers .. is it wise at this time to put another potential burden on the NHS ?  .. ((:>)
    I'm useless but I don't think even I'll hurt myself painting.

I'll leave the electrics alone and avoid cutting any trees down etc though!
  • Options

I'll leave the electrics alone and avoid cutting any trees down etc though!
    lol .. just avoid getting paint in your eye .. wear goggles and a mask .. also good as virus repellent
  • Options

What if you end up covered with black & blue bruises?
  • Options
    Hi moutuakilla. Easy way is to 
    1. Lay rad on floor
    2. Position brackets on rad.
    3. Draw a line from centre of rad valve connection on the back of the rad.
    4. Measure up from line to botton of bracket. Say 30mm
    5. Now to the rad valve thats attached to the pipes draw a line from the centre of valve along wall. 
    6. Now add the say 30mm . Thats your height for the brackets.

To get brackets in correct position just stand rad central to pipes and mark wall where brackets hook on then draw a line down.

Thats it. Easy psy.

Good luck
  • Options
    Dont forget you may need to top up boiler pressure after you vent the rad.
  • Options
    Is Neil Always in the Lower North?  Hope he isn't the tall guy who insists on standing up in front of me for most of the game.
  • Options
    I’ve learnt that taking as much time as possible leads to a better finish.

for instance it’s time consuming, but if you sand down, apply primer, and then two coats of your main colour the end result is so worth it.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Is Neil Always in the Lower North?  Hope he isn't the tall guy who insists on standing up in front of me for most of the game.
    That's Always Kneel
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Alwaysneil is definitely not the tall one
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Zinsser paints are pretty unbeatable. For everything.

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    @Alwaysneil is definitely not the tall one
    Very true, and I’ve only sat in the North Lower once, by mistake as I was Trying to understand the electronic ticketing system after having stopped buying season tickets.

We went for what turned out to be extremely pricey per game half season NWQ tickets when it looked like we had new, positively intentioned owners. 

Worked out well. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020

• Options
    Ordered decking boards from Champion wood merchants to repair parts of my decked garden. Ordered 19x90mm to match existing boardd. Having spent about 2 hours constructing that manhole cover trapdoor I couldn't understand why it didn't fit. Measured the boards and they are 19x88mm. Champion say that despite the fact their website specified 19x90mm there will always be some variation of up to 2 mm! 
  • Options
    This is why I am so reluctant to attempt cutting my own hair.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

That looks suspicious. I think it's a trap for the wife. The fake manhole cover's a nice touch.
  • Options
    it certainly has the “there’s something hidden under here” look to it.
  • Options
    Very ITV Drama looking.

"Give me a torch, let's find out where this leads to..."