Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stop smoking advice

Sorry if another discussion, cant seem to find one.
Tried all over counter stuff and docs gave me champix but no good as had side effects          ( very grumpy and snappy)
I lack willpower clearly.
Anybody got any top tips.
Soo hard.
Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I think stopping smoking is a mental issue as much as a physical one. When I gave up I was sick of cigarettes so it was easy to go from 20 a day to nothing without any withdrawal pangs but the key was being happy to stop rather than feeling I was being forced to. Try to bribe/reward yourself to give up, read an Alan Carr book or even look into hypnosis (that worked for my dad). Best of luck.
  • Options
    Thanks. I have already ordered the alan carr book so will give a go. I change jobs about 4 weeks ago and used to work with alot of smokers so was hard to get away from it but now im a working with non smokers, im the only one so surely will help me too. Cheers
  • Options
    It's all mental. I always wanted to quit but one day something just snapped that made me.

Most smokers have tried all methods, so you're not alone there, in the end it just comes down to you. You need to ignore the cravings and remember they will pass and it will get easier. I used lozenges for the first few days to take the edge off and reduced the usage as I became more comfortable in dealing with situations that would usually cause me to smoke. In the first few days these can be very mundane triggers but over time, it's only bigger events.

Now I still get the odd urge, usually after a beer, but I'm able to brush it off fairly easily. Ultimately when you get an urge remember to ask yourself "is it worth it?". We all know it's killing us when we do it. I just hope I quit before causing lasting damage.

As pubs are closed and you have to go out of your way to buy fags, now is probably a good time to quit. Good luck!
  • Options
    Have a health scare. 

You’ll then find all the difficulty was basically psychological and not physical 
  • Options
    Have a health scare. 

You’ll then find all the difficulty was basically psychological and not physical 
    Seems like a glib comment and it’s not meant to be but you won’t give up smoking until you are ready. Just wanting to is just lying to yourself. When it’s time for you to stop you will.
  • Options
    Seriously, find an emotive reason to give up and use that as your crutch through the process.

Find a replacement for when your key trigger points are in the first half of the day, when you are most likely to give in. For example, my big one was I’d go for a fag about 10.30 in work to break the working morning. When I stopped it felt such a long time from 7.30 to 12.30 without that break. So what I did was at the time I’d go for a fag I’d go and have a shower. Took out 10-15 mins and broke the morning up. Before I knew it I was at lunchtime and saw the rest of the day as downhill from there. 

Good luck 
  • Options
    Have you tried Vaping?

There is never a good time to stop smoking. As AFKA says, a health scare can give you a kick up the backside, but it is still so difficult to stop. I tried everything including champix - that worked for a while but the temptation was too much. Vaping worked for me, I’m still doing it 4 years after stoping the fags, but a hell of a lot less than I used too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. you’ve got to want to give up 100%
    2. use a nicorete gum now and again to take the urge away 
    3. Always remember you will not die from not smoking. 
    4. the benefits far outweigh continuing to smoke. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Allen Carr Easyway book is brilliant.

That and exercise helped me.
  • Options
    Happy to share a photo of my old mum, she died at 75 never having met 5 of her then 8 grandchildren because she was to weak to see them. Spent 5 years housebound the last 3 bedridden and weighed 5 st at her death. I used to smoke with her on my visits to her home in my late20s early 30s and quit around then. Look around at those you love and ask which do you want to give up the most and good luck. 
  • Options
    I stoped for a few weeks last summer but family thought much longer. I was a secret smoker going for a bike ride just to light one up for example. I will stop i know i will but need to stop finding excuses like stress and work problems. I have a very nice life with a good job and no debt etc etc so no excuse.
    Thankyou for all advice.  
  • Options
    Switched to vaping 5 years ago now I don't use anything and haven't done so for around 2 years.  My wife and I have both quit through vaping by using good quality equipment and came down through the nicotine strengths until we got to zero. Once we got to zero, we just naturally reached for the vape less and less until eventually it just wasn't worth using anymore.  I know vaping isn't for everyone, but it worked a charm for us, both confirmed smokers for over 20 years (with a couple of breaks - stopped whilst wife was pregnant with kids) and multiple failures at stopping.  
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    You have to want to give it up or you will never do it.  I used to smoke heavily when I was younger and then it just became a weekend thing when I was having a beer. 

I hated it and wanted to give it up so decided to quit on a Monday.  I think a Monday is a psychological thing as it's a new beginning. 

I gave up,  didn't allow any smoking at home,  got rid of all the ashtrays and smoking stuff and haven't smoked since.  26 years and counting. 

No matter what you want to give up in life,  you can do it if you really want to. 

Doing it half heartedly won't work. 
  • Options
    I gave up and went to a vape. Worked for me, gradually cut down over 6 months. 

Still vape when I drink but no reliance anymore. It was definitely more mental for me, I’d had enough of paying the money and found it much easier than I thought. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I still smoke am going to pack It up in August ( my 30th birthday ) 
    3 of my pals gave up with allen carrs book and swear by it but you have to follow it religiously!.

the biggest crave they all got was when drinking I’m the same smoke a lot more when drinking.
  • Options
    I gave up at New Year. Some of this has already been said but you have to want to do it. If you don't really want to then you're not likely to succeed.

I switched to a vape, initially using it as much as I smoked. Then after a week I started cutting down and just using it when the cravings were bad. I stopped after three weeks. I just didn't want to do it anymore.

I have tried stopping before but this time feels different as I was fed up with smoking so really wanted to quit.

I have put on a ton of weight though so be warned! 
  • Options
    Allen Carr Easyway book is brilliant.

That and exercise helped me.

I'll second that - a brilliant book.
    The one message that I remember above all is when he says something like "Some people claim that they enjoy smoking - that's the same as someone saying they deliberately buy shoes two sizes too small for the relief they get when they take them off!"

How is it that I still smoke??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can you still vape while using those Alan Carr books or do they suggest no replacement aid?
  • Options
    Can you still vape while using those Alan Carr books or do they suggest no replacement aid?

No substitutes, although he suggests that you don't need to give up after reading the first page - just by the time you finish the book.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

No substitutes, although he suggests that you don't need to give up after reading the first page - just by the time you finish the book.
    That works for 99% of people I recommended it to. For me personally I used patches and exercise but the book was entirely responsible for helping me overcome the psychology of it and has kept me nicotine free for years now when I used to literally bawl my eyes out at failed attempt after failed attempt.

Gone from being a very heavy smoker to now not believing I ever smoked in the first place which I would never have thought I would be able to say years ago.

As is covered in the book scare stories and the facts about the vile harm cigs do to your health isn't alone any use in quitting for most as that's the nature of addiction.

The mental freedom I feel now after literally years of feeling like a prisoner to it is fantastic.

Can't recommend the book enough and read it a few times before it sunk in but such a great investment.

https://youtu.be/0TL2Vh7goJc
  • Options
    ^^ unintentional lol while trying to click the link & I don’t know how to undo it!
    thanks for the advice 
  • Options
    I've never smoked seriously, just dabbled as a kid but grew to absolutely despise it when my Dad died of cancer. So the following isn't based on personal experience of giving up, but I have read a lot about psychology:
    • Really want to do it and write down exactly what you want to achieve and why.
    • Tell other people. We are far more likely to keep commitments that we've made public, plus you'll want make sure that your family and friends are aware so that they don't do anything to tempt you.
    • Think about the situations where your temptation to smoke the greatest. Either avoid those situations altogether (so now might be an ideal time) or organise displacement activities (without getting hooked on something else).
    • Reward yourself. Save the money you would have spent on smoking and buy yourself something really nice.
    • Remember, it's forty years or more since the cool kids smoked. By becoming a non-smoker you'll be joining the trendy and interesting people.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    It's all mental. I always wanted to quit but one day something just snapped that made me.

Most smokers have tried all methods, so you're not alone there, in the end it just comes down to you. You need to ignore the cravings and remember they will pass and it will get easier. I used lozenges for the first few days to take the edge off and reduced the usage as I became more comfortable in dealing with situations that would usually cause me to smoke. In the first few days these can be very mundane triggers but over time, it's only bigger events.

Now I still get the odd urge, usually after a beer, but I'm able to brush it off fairly easily. Ultimately when you get an urge remember to ask yourself "is it worth it?". We all know it's killing us when we do it. I just hope I quit before causing lasting damage.

As pubs are closed and you have to go out of your way to buy fags, now is probably a good time to quit. Good luck!
    I think that's the case with most things you want to do but lack the willpower for. I spent years as an unhealthy fat bastard on the beer, eating poorly and doing no exercise. Started weight loss more than a few times but always had a convenient excuse (knee pain, back problems etc) until one day something just clicked for me. 90% of it was mental. Once I got through the first three weeks it got easier and easier (annoyingly).

I'm a firm believer that no matter what method you choose to stop doing something destructive, almost all of it is entirely down to you mentally to break that habit - you have to WANT to do it. Sadly it's not easy to quantify whatever it is that snaps inside you to permit that. 

Fags and beer have to be the two hardest (outside of actual narcotics) because so much of peoples' social lives are built around the pub. Oddly, I've never smoked - not even tried it once as a kid - but not having a pint when I was being disciplined about getting the weight off was murder when all my mates were on the piss - in the end, I ended up not going out with them at all in the evenings for months. If any time is a good time to give it a whack though its now! 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I've never smoked seriously, just dabbled as a kid but grew to absolutely despise it when my Dad died of cancer. So the following isn't based on personal experience of giving up, but I have read a lot about psychology:
    • Really want to do it and write down exactly what you want to achieve and why.
    • Tell other people. We are far more likely to keep commitments that we've made public, plus you'll want make sure that your family and friends are aware so that they don't do anything to tempt you.
    • Think about the situations where your temptation to smoke the greatest. Either avoid those situations altogether (so now might be an ideal time) or organise displacement activities (without getting hooked on something else).
    • Reward yourself. Save the money you would have spent on smoking and buy yourself something really nice.
    • Remember, it's forty years or more since the cool kids smoked. By becoming a non-smoker you'll be joining the trendy and interesting people.
    Good luck!

Very good advice - from a non-smoker! Some of those are in the Alan Carr book.

Few other powerful messages from the Carr book:

- never think you can be a part-time smoker - 'I only smoke when I have a drink'. You are still addicted to the poison.
    - never take a ciggie from a mate 'Oh just one'. You quit and when you quit you were lucky that you did that before it gave you lung cancer. That one cigarette could be the 'one'.
    - linked to the above 'Oh just one' - you will be hooked again and say you are 50 with another 25 years to live (if you're very lucky). You get hooked again and you go back to smoking 20 a day. At £10 a packet and assuming no price increases, that 'just one' will cost you about £90,000

Thanks @Gasman for starting this thread. I read the book about 10 years ago and I almost made it. I've just downloaded it on to my Kindle, and I WILL make it this time.

• Options
    I have had Allen Carr’s book at home for 4 years and haven’t read it. I really should do as I’ve heard nothing but good things about it and I fucking hate the fact that I smoke. 
  • Options
    shower at work !!!! Are you a coal miner AFKA ?
    Most people go for a piddle!
  • Options
    it’s psychology. I don’t smoke for 3 weeks when away at work, it’s a non smoking facility, and I don’t miss it at all. Hardly give it a thought, but as soon as I’m home, literally when I land back from work, the urge to smoke consumes me and I light up. I hat the fact I do. I read the Alan Carr book, loved it but lit up a few days later. I’ve tried hypnosis, twice. I beat myself up about smoking all the time, but do it anyway. I think smoking for me is a deep rooted psychological factor, And I have to find the trigger as why I do it. I’m going to try again this month, and read the book again when I’m at work so that I can control the urges when I get home.