Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Good Friday Memories

Never forget 1969 -Home to Cardiff.4-0 up at HT.Won for 4-1.Happy days

Comments

• Options
    All goals scored at The Covered End....The Tanks goal was the best of the lot Graham Moores.
  • Options
    And the next day we beat Middlesbrough 2-0 at The Valley.
  • Options
    I seem to remember we played Luton Town at The Valley. Bradley Allen scored on his debut.
  • Options
    Found these today, 1996. Don’t remember the game at all. 
  • Options
    Remember that game well, was on telly I think. Kim grant playing for luton having left us a few weeks before. 
  • Options
    That’s the game. Can’t have been Allen’s debut then
  • Options
    3-0 win over reading on the end of season surge in 1998
  • Options
    The Cardiff game was close to the perfect Valley experience. I believe it was virtually a morning kick off.
  • Options
    Didn't we beat Millwall at the valley 3-2 in the late 70s
  • Options
    Didn't we beat Millwall at the valley 3-2 in the late 70s
    The following Monday we beat Chelsea 4-0 and in between we had a 0-0 draw on the Saturday at Leyton Orient. I don't recall any rotation then either. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MY first Good Friday game:  1978 Beat Palace 1-0 Terry Brisley scoring.  That was the day aged 10, that I realized I didn't like Palace very much.  What took me so long!
  • Options
    Remember that game well, was on telly I think. Kim grant playing for luton having left us a few weeks before. 
    Definitely on tele.
  • Options
    CHG said:
    Possibly home debut, having scored in a 1-0 win at Norwich on his full debut, unless memory is playing tricks.
  • Options
    Mate of mine is a Reading fan, we had a lads weekend at Butlins in Bognor in the late 90's, travelled up to see us win 3-0. Thoroughly enjoyed the train back. 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    CHG said:
    Possibly home debut, having scored in a 1-0 win at Norwich on his full debut, unless memory is playing tricks.
    Correct. Matt Jackson and Chris Whyte (I think) made there debuts as well in the Norwich game.  If I remember correctly Allen wasn’t our first choice signing -it was Chris Malkin from Millwall but he failed a medical. 
  • Options
    I have a feeling that our 5-2 victory over Preston North End the year Cliff Holton almost singlehandedly kept us up (c 1965 or 1966) took place on a Good Friday.

Could be wrong though. 
  • Options
    TN15 said:
    When I saw the title of the thread I immediately thought of those two games against Cardiff and Middlesbrough but couldn’t recall the year. So 1969 I see. Am I right in thinking Toshack was still at Cardiff in that season?
  • Options
    Did we beat Palace with a Terry Brisley winner on a Good Friday ?
    If not, when was it or did it even happen ? :smile:
  • Options
    Remember beating them 2-1 last minute winner at The Valley, they had Gerry Murphy sent off just before that, is this the same game?
  • Options
    Remember beating them 2-1 last minute winner at The Valley, they had Gerry Murphy sent off just before that, is this the same game?
    Good question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Good question.
    Just checked, it was Easter Monday, my memory is getting shocking. 1983
  • Options
    Drew 2-2 with Man Utd at the Valley 3/4/53 in the morning in front of 41814.
    Return on Easter Monday lost 3-2 at Old Trafford 31914 attendance
    We had bigger  crowds than them in those days. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    LenGlover said:
    I have a feeling that our 5-2 victory over Preston North End the year Cliff Holton almost singlehandedly kept us up (c 1965 or 1966) took place on a Good Friday.

Could be wrong though. 
    You are correct, 1966. Hilton reputedly had the hardest shot in football and his first goal was direct from a free-kick driven low straight through the Preston wall.
  • Options
    TN15 said:
    When I saw the title of the thread I immediately thought of those two games against Cardiff and Middlesbrough but couldn’t recall the year. So 1969 I see. Am I right in thinking Toshack was still at Cardiff in that season?
    Yes I'm sure he was playing.
  • Options
    Cliff lacked pace but as Mametz said he had a very powerful dig on him.
    We let Scullion go to Watford in the deal. 
  • Options
    Remember Holton taking two free kicks from a fair way outside the box against Coventry, Bill Glazier was in goal and they had been at Palace together so he knew what to expect, I swear he's knees were knocking as Holton lined them up but if memory serves me right he managed to keep them both out.

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    CHG said:
    Correct. Matt Jackson and Chris Whyte (I think) made there debuts as well in the Norwich game.  If I remember correctly Allen wasn’t our first choice signing -it was Chris Malkin from Millwall but he failed a medical. 
    Bloody hell.  It was the first game that sprung to my mind when I saw the title of this thread on account of how shit it was.  I think we lost 1-0 and I was so fed up as I thought we were going to get promoted as a young 14 year old having tasted no success at all in my fledging years as a new fan.

I remember it being an earlier kick off and just taking my frustrations out at Crofton Park Secondary School AstroTurf later in the eve when I got home playing football with my mates 

a dismal start to Easter 
  • Options
    Moreover I was so buoyed by the 2 signings of Bradley Allen and Matt Jackson in our promotion push as well.  
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    CHG said:
    Lack of teeth?
  • Options
    Good question.
    Scratching the head and generating sawdust.......

The Terry Brisley one was Good Friday 1978, 1-0, goal at the Covered end IIRC.

The 2-1 was in Mullerys season 81-2, Don McAllister got the winner in injury time.