Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What percentage of the 92 clubs...

Will get through to this point next year without having been through admin or folded?

Will Charlton be one of those?

Forget about this season, next season already looks like being an absolute minefield of issues. 

I really struggle to see how a cohesive to get through the next 18 months is going to be implemented without completely ripping through the game as we currently know it.

am I being over dramatic?

Comments

• No, I really don't think you are. I cannot see how it will make any sense to finish the current season. To do so in any sort of reasonable timeframe would mean dedicating a tremendous amount of valuable resources to ensuring that football, even if it's just played behind closed doors, doesn't become a breeding ground for the virus to spread quickly. You would need rapid and constant testing at all 92 clubs, not just for players and coaching staff, but for backroom and administrative staff as well. And I cannot see the country having the kind of resources (testing, medical staff on call, etc.) to spare in the coming months, let alone choosing to spend it on football. 
  • It's a problem, obviously.  Not just for football clubs, but for many businesses globally.  Until we know how long this is going to go on, it's tough to call what the impact will be.  

Scenario 1 - Season restarts in July and 19/20 is played to a finish and then season 20/21 follows: Most clubs will survive, helped by government and league backing.
    Scenario 2 - 19/20 is scrapped and 20/21 follows starting late: Removal of TV money impacts greatly, and some clubs go under. Others work with smaller salary budget and transfer fund in order to survive.
    Scenario 3 - No games until after Xmas: complete re-arrangement of teams within leagues, with some choosing to drop down divisions and play within their new budget. Others go bust. Players kick up a fuss. Budget caps in lower leagues. Football recovers, and players are paid more sensibly and we all live happily even after.
  • @Pedro45 in your scenario 1, can you realistically see mass crowds for sporting events be allowed in just a couple of months time?
  • @Pedro45 in your scenario 1, can you realistically see mass crowds for sporting events be allowed in just a couple of months time?
    The spanners should be ok, other than their cup final.
  • Not over dramatic at all. It doesn’t help that a lot of clubs are already in debt and/or run by fools and the organisations that run football couldn’t actually run a bath.
  • A few ideas below

To deal with the crowd issue, games may be available on line at a slightly lower cost. This will also reduce match day costs for stewards/police etc but this will only offset loss of match day revenue.

conference to become regional?

league 2 to be part time?

salary caps for players?

more evenly distributed tv money?

possible mergers or ground sharing lower down the football pyramid. Bolton, Bury and Rochdale all close together geographically?

premier teams controlling lower league teams, using them as feeder clubs?

review of points deduction for entering into administration for covid reasons?

one thing is certain, the next time Dillon Phillips picks up the ball from the back of the net following a free header from a set piece, the football world will be a very different place

• Will people go even if they can? Until the vaccine comes in, if it comes in, this thing will be out there. My trip to CAFC - a bus and two trains. Just not sure I fancy that. 
    The spanners should be ok, other than their cup final.

We've already played Leeds twice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Only 91 clubs but yes can see a number of clubs going into administration and/or liquidation.
    No
  • More than 50% of the 71 EFL clubs I would guess.

Who knows in the premier league, if the "big clubs" don't think they need pesky Burnley and Norwich clogging up thier fixtures probably half of them as well. 
  • I think this season has gone one way or another. I also don’t think the season 20/21 will go ahead and the next season to be played will be 21/22.
    As to the effect on clubs whilst I don’t know what it will be it can’t be anything but absolutely fundamental. There will be swathes of clubs in the lower leagues and non leagues going bust. Hopefully they will reform but I can’t see that as a priority for the country.
    My years of boycott broke my need for football every time I could go and think this will happen to many fans. The ties are unbinding.
  • A few ideas below

To deal with the crowd issue, games may be available on line at a slightly lower cost. This will also reduce match day costs for stewards/police etc but this will only offset loss of match day revenue.

salary caps for players?

possible mergers or ground sharing lower down the football pyramid. Bolton, Bury and Rochdale all close together geographically?

one thing is certain, the next time Dillon Phillips picks up the ball from the back of the net following a free header from a set piece, the football world will be a very different place

Bury dont play football these days and Rochdale is nowhere near Bolton. Be like us groundsharing with Watford.

The FA run the Premier League, they'll only ever agree to give sprinkles to the EFL.

I think a wage cap in the EFL might work.
  • Football is a game played by football agents. The game is set up by first dividing up all available footballers among your fellow agents. You then then get two opportunities each year to move your footballers from one club to another for as much money as possible. If the footballer can make a bit of money for themselves that's useful because they will stick with you for the next transfer window. The game continues until there's no more money in the bank to fund the next round of moves. We've been at this point for a while so resetting the board and starting again seems like a good idea to me.
  • Even if they can work out a way to get playing again, and even if clubs can weather out the bleak financial situation between now and then, there will still be major problems to contend with. Millions of people will be rendered financially worse off as a result of this, and unlike other times of financial trouble, it's hard to identify any group who will be better off.  Add to that the effect of this on people's comfort with public situations. I can forsee a situation where many people have some form of agoraphobia. It will be interesting to see whether people's isolation from sport makes them keen to get back to normality, or whether there are large numbers for whom crowded situations no longer seem a good idea.

I hope all clubs get through this, and that the game sees this as a wake up call to sort out the greed and mismanagement. I fear that this will cause a culling of many smaller local teams (including Charlton) and that the big boys will carry on regardless. 
  • PopIcon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

Bury dont play football these days and Rochdale is nowhere near Bolton. Be like us groundsharing with Watford.

The FA run the Premier League, they'll only ever agree to give sprinkles to the EFL.

Bolton to Rochdale is 12 miles
     charlton to Watford is 40 miles through London or 60 miles on the m25.
    charlton to c*****l p****e is 9.5 miles

im not trying to argue or gain brownie points, just making a working day during a pandemic go a bit quicker.
    Even if fans are allowed to go , will they go.
    Lets say the season starts in july.
    Lets say everyones had a test by tgen and half the country has had coronavirus.
    If your one of the people who havent had it, will you be going anywhere where theres crowds.
    Me personally as this has gone on over the weeks im getting worse as i would assume a lot of people are.
    Football, pubs restaurants when they open back up alot of people will be rushing back.
    There will also be a lot who wont.

• Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

im not trying to argue or gain brownie points, just making a working day during a pandemic go a bit quicker.
    Charlton isn't 40 miles from Watford, it's closer to 25. Also Bolton is 16 miles from Roledale. They are both miles apart.

Can we have an argument instead? Will at least give us something both to do.
  • A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

A salary cap is something that should have been enforced many years ago. And that includes the premier league. 
  • Charlton must be at the top of clubs that will be in trouble. The worst thing surely that can happen is if supporters lose trust in the people running the club. Who in their right mind would send their season ticket renewal money into the club at the moment. MS and his crooked gang have a lot to answer for. Nimer has to step up and fund the club otherwise it's curtains
  • When you look at the size of the English pyramid beyond the 91 - it’s absolutely enormous, and I fear that non-League barring a few National League clubs is going to be wiped out completely through this.

As for the 91....clubs like Macclesfield who are seemingly on the brink anyway surely cannot survive. I’m sure there are other clubs out there who will find themselves in a similar outcome.

I don’t think we’ll see a world where 10-15k+ can just go to a football game once this is all said and done. Maybe one day in years to come, but I think at the very least there will be heavy restrictions on how many people can attend (and who) for the first year or so.
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

Charlton isn't 40 miles from Watford, it's closer to 25. Also Bolton is 16 miles from Roledale. They are both miles apart.

Coming up 36 miles
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

I’ve crumbled already and can’t think of anything to say. This must be the worst argument in history
  • PopIcon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

Do you think Watford could buy The Valley so they'd officiaiy become a London club and we'd be tenant's?
  • don't think football in this country will ever quite be the same again, far less teams and leagues and alot more part-time.

can see up to a third of league clubs disappearing at this rate, the longer this goes on.
  • clb74 said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

Coming up 36 miles
    See. Screw you @Poplcon 😂😂😂