Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poetry

I don’t know if anyone on here likes Poetry? Yeah, I know,  it’s only for sissy’s.

I was always dismissive of English Language, mostly because of my lack of it, through my poor education, though I also had a part to play in that!

I’ve come to Poetry late in life and mostly through the London Buddhist Centre, they use poetry a lot but I’m grateful that I’ve now found it.

I find it incredible how good poets not only have the ability to connect on an emotional level with me but also how they can say so much, in so few words.

I find the below poem a good example and currently one of my favourites as it resonates with my life journey very much.

The Ideal by James Fenton.

This is where I came from.
I passed this way.
This should not be shameful
Or hard to say.
A self is a self.
It is not a screen.
A person should respect
What he has been.
This is my past
Which I shall not discard.
This is the ideal.
This is hard.

Comments

• Options
    not my thing mate but my old dear has had 2 collections published.  Very hard literature form of art to do properly, given all the rules etc 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    not my thing mate but my old dear has had 2 collections published.  Very hard literature form of art to do properly, given all the rules etc 
    That’s interesting @cabbles can you post the titles and are they still available?
  • Options
    one is called 'Near Death Domestic', can't remember the publisher, and i'll find out the other one for you.  

Glad you've connected with it mate, enjoyment and interest come in all forms 
  • Options
    the publisher is/was called Tall Lighthouse - they aren't around anymore.  

Just Googled it and not much in the way of copies knocking about either - lol 

not sure she ever had that many printed
  • Options
    Not really into it at all, but there were a couple of passages by Hilaire Belloc in a book recommended to me by @SE7toSG3 about someone who wrote about 6 friends lost in WW1 that stood out to me....

For quiet homes and first beginning,
    Out to the undiscovered ends,
    There’s nothing worth the wear of winning 
    But laughter and the love of friends

no one in our long decline ,
    so dusty, spiteful and divided,
    Had quite such pleasant friends as mine,
    or loved them half as much as I did.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    one is called 'Near Death Domestic', can't remember the publisher, and i'll find out the other one for you.  

cabbles said:

Good title and an achievement in itself to have it published regardless of the quantity?

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Not really into it at all, but there were a couple of passages by Hilaire Belloc in a book recommended to me by @SE7toSG3 about someone who wrote about 6 friends lost in WW1 that stood out to me....

For quiet homes and first beginning,
    Out to the undiscovered ends,
    There’s nothing worth the wear of winning 
    But laughter and the love of friends

no one in our long decline ,
    so dusty, spiteful and divided,
    Had quite such pleasant friends as mine,
    or loved them half as much as I did.
    Sometimes that’s all it takes @DaveMehmet to connect, a couple of verses of even just a line.

Glad it had an emotional impact on you.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Seamus Heany and Charles Bukowski: polar opposites in many ways, but a commonality in prose both beautiful and at times brutal.
  • Options
    There was a young man from Nantucket...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boom said:
    There was a young man from Nantucket...
    One of my favorites.

Mary had a little lamb
    She kept it in a bucket
    Every time that lamb got loose
    The dog would try to...
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Good title and an achievement in itself to have it published regardless of the quantity?

absolutely mate.  combination of the difficulty of writing that conforms, but is also creative and connects with people.  Very hard to do.

Also, it isn't as prominent an art form as it once was.  I think it has been displaced somewhat in this day an age 
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Seamus Heany and Charles Bukowski: polar opposites in many ways, but a commonality in prose both beautiful and at times brutal.
    I haven't read any Heany, got any recommendations? 
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    North and Wintering Out are good collections. Or his Selected Poems would be as good a place as any to start.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I think the opening two lines to this Poem by John Burnside are exceptional and very poignant, I've even used them as a title of one of my images.

I've also put in bold the last three verses again because of their poignancy.  

Unwittingly by John Burnside

I've visited the place
    where thought begins
    :
    pear trees suspended in sunlight, narrow shops,
    alleys to nothing

but nettles
    and broken wars;
    and though it might look different
    to you:

a seaside town, with steep roofs
    the colour of oysters,
    the corner of some junkyard with its glint
    of coming rain,

though someone else again would recognise
    the warm barn, the smell of milk,
    the wintered cattle
    shifting in the dark,

it's always the same lit space,
    the one good measure:
    Sometimes you'll wake in a chair
    as the light is fading,

or stop on the way to work
    as a current of starlings
    turns on itself
    and settles above the green,

and because what we learn in the dark
    remains all our lives,
    a noise like the sea, displacing the day's
    pale knowledge,

you'll come to find yourself
    in a glimmer of rainfall or frost,
    the burnt smell of autumn,
    a meeting of parallel lines,

and know you were someone else
    for the longest time,
    pretending you knew where you were, like a diffident tourist
    lost on the one main square, and afraid to enquire.
  • Options
    This is a good one - Sassoon’s reaction to the end of WW1:

Everyone Sang

Everyone suddenly burst out singing;
    And I was filled with such delight
    As prisoned birds must find in freedom,
    Winging wildly across the white
    Orchards and dark-green fields; on - on - and out of sight.

Everyone's voice was suddenly lifted;
    And beauty came like the setting sun:
    My heart was shaken with tears; and horror
    Drifted away ... O, but Everyone
    Was a bird; and the song was wordless; the singing will never be done.
  • Options
    Great idea for a thread.
    Poetry infiltrates all our lives in ways we don't realise.
    It astonishes me continually that the poets and poetry that is such a marginalised art form, creates people who 'live' longer than almost any other artists. Chaucer and Cicero and such like have the same impact today as they had originally, where other previous greats in whatever field can be soon forgotten.
    Some recognise the value and importance of poetry, the very antithesis of the 'newspeak' thrust recognised by George Orwell.
    When Seamus Heaney died the newspapers at least did him justice (as in full front page broadsheet obituaries) because the work of a poet can outlast almost anything else and to me it is stuff of immense value importance and enrichment.
    I do wonder if a person has the right to describe their own work as poetry, or if it being called poetry or a person a poet is something in the gift of others.
  • Options
    I was a runner-up Foyle Young Poet of the Year once upon a time. Writing used to be something I needed to get out but I lost that feeling over the years. 

Classic poets aside, I like a bit of everything: Saul Williams, Frank O'Hara.... even some Simon Armitage. 
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    For individual poems, try 'The Early Purges' and 'Mid-Term Break' for easy, accessible ones to start with.

The latter is about the death of his four-year-old brother. The final line about the coffin being only four feet long 'a foot for every year' confused a pupil of mine who was lost in thought for quite some time before turning to me and saying. 'That's not very big. How's he going to move around in that?'
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Redskin said:
    Death of Naturalist, Nortand Fieldwork are probably his best known works, but to buy individually was rather 'expensive' when I was last in Waterstones. 
    Faber & Faber publish Seamus Heaney, 100 Poems for £10.99, which gives you more prose per Pound including his most celebrated work.
    The Guardian called him 'The greatest poet of our age.'
    Check him out, I think he'd be right up your street.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    'Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough, it isn't fit for humans now. '

Right, I don't think you solve town planning problems by dropping 
    bombs all over the place, he's embarrassed himself there.

• Options
    Redskin said:
    Redskin said:
    Death of Naturalist, Nortand Fieldwork are probably his best known works, but to buy individually was rather 'expensive' when I was last in Waterstones. 
    Faber & Faber publish Seamus Heaney, 100 Poems for £10.99, which gives you more prose per Pound including his most celebrated work.
    The Guardian called him 'The greatest poet of our age.'
    Check him out, I think he'd be right up your street.
    Ok, thanks.
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    For individual poems, try 'The Early Purges' and 'Mid-Term Break' for easy, accessible ones to start with.

The latter is about the death of his four-year-old brother. The final line about the coffin being only four feet long 'a foot for every year' confused a pupil of mine who was lost in thought for quite some time before turning to me and saying. 'That's not very big. How's he going to move around in that?'
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    North and Wintering Out are good collections. Or his Selected Poems would be as good a place as any to start.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    I like Pam Ayres,  not everybody's cup of tea I know. But some of her work makes me laugh.
  • Options
    One for your earphones on a 10 minute walk if you fancy it.
    Spoken by the writer, not as good as an actor speaking it in my view, but authentic.
    No moving pictures, it is an audio thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAO3QTU4PzY
  • Options
    There once was a woman named Jill,
    Tried a dynamite stick for the thrill,
    They found her vagina,
    In South Carolina,
    And bits of her tits in Brazil!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    seth plum said:
    One for your earphones on a 10 minute walk if you fancy it.
    Spoken by the writer, not as good as an actor speaking it in my view, but authentic.
    No moving pictures, it is an audio thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAO3QTU4PzY
    An absolute and utter classic of a poem. Good old TS Eliot.

Fun fact: "TS Eliot" is an anagram of "toilets", and his full name - Thomas Stearns Eliot - is an anagram of "loathsome train sets".
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    I love Bukowski, though not sure it's really poetry.