Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Laurel and Hardy

Just watched a documentary about Laurel and Hardy. Laughed, chortled and cried about them.

The best comedy duo ever.

Comments

• Options
    Summed up perfectly and enjoyable and interesting viewing
  • Options
    Not a patch on PJ and Duncan
  • Options
    Saw one a few years ago, not sure if it was the same, but Stan Laurel lived in the same little house for years and had his name in the telephone book.
  • Options
    I laughed at there films as a boy nearly 70 years ago, and still do today, The Music Box my favourite film of there's
  • Options
    Reminds me of going to the Roxy at Blackheath Standard for Saturday morning pictures.  Those were the days. 
  • Options
    My favourite comedy duo.  With those two, Buster Keaton, and The Marx Brothers, you wouldn't want for great comedy.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    McBobbin said:
    Have you seen the recent film Stan & Ollie? It's very good.

Remember a summer holiday when I was young when they had a laurel and hardy double bill every lunchtime. Pure class
    Worth taking a gander.  Coogan and Reilly do a great impression.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Have you seen the recent film Stan & Ollie? It's very good.

Remember a summer holiday when I was young when they had a laurel and hardy double bill every lunchtime. Pure class
    Great acting by both of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    Just watched a documentary about Laurel and Hardy. Laughed, chortled and cried about them.

What channel was it on, please? I'd love to see it.
    For anyone who's a fan, if you're ever in the Lake District and have the time, visit Ulverston, the town where Stan Laurel was born. Although you cannot visit his childhood home (a very simple terrace house) as it's privately-owned, there is The Stan Laurel Inn nearby which is plastered with photos of the duo and its beers are named after their films (I had a pint of 'Laughing Gravy'). Best of all is the museum, located in an old cinema, which is charmingly amateurish but has plenty of memorabilia and has the short films playing continuously in a curtained-off area - you can't help but smile as you walk around the museum and you hear the laughter from behind the curtains often preceded by a soundtrack of clanging metal or smashing crockery.
    Sky arts. I recorded it a while ago.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

For anyone who's a fan, if you're ever in the Lake District and have the time, visit Ulverston, the town where Stan Laurel was born. Although you cannot visit his childhood home (a very simple terrace house) as it's privately-owned, there is The Stan Laurel Inn nearby which is plastered with photos of the duo and its beers are named after their films (I had a pint of 'Laughing Gravy'). Best of all is the museum, located in an old cinema, which is charmingly amateurish but has plenty of memorabilia and has the short films playing continuously in a curtained-off area - you can't help but smile as you walk around the museum and you hear the laughter from behind the curtains often preceded by a soundtrack of clanging metal or smashing crockery.

Doh!

(I don't have Sky)
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

Doh!

(I don't have Sky)
    You might find it online. It’s a German film I think. Bizarrely, to me, it had German comedians giving opinions in German at times.
  • Options
    My favourite comedy duo.  With those two, Buster Keaton, and The Marx Brothers, you wouldn't want for great comedy.
    Substitute Harold Lloyd for the Marx Brothers and I'll be happy.
  • Options
    Never really watched them before but I enjoyed the sky arts show. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Always found it amazing that Harold Lloyd did his own stunts including hanging off of the clock face on the skyscraper 
  • Options
    But that's another solo act, good as he is.  I was purposely picking a solo, duo and ensemble.
  • Options
    In the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia on the trail....................

• Options
    Timeless absolutely genius.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The greatest. I love them.
  • Options
    iainment said:

I think it’s on Amazon Prime at the moment. Top film. 
  • Options
    The best, end of.
  • Options
    I thought the film was ok - though sad to see them having an unhappy time of things. But what it did for me in those areas where they reproduced the sketches was show how inadequate they were in comparison to the magic of the original. It was like seeing a paint by numbers version of a great masterpiece.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    My father saw them at the Lewisham Hippodrome when they toured Britain after their Hollywood career was over.
    The greatest comedy duo ever.
  • Options
    Love Laurel and Hardy. The one where they’re on the road and they start helping themselves to a water well not realising it’s full of moonshine. A fella leaves his wife there to get his car mended and he comes back furious to find all three blind drunk.
  • Options
    For whatever reason their comedy hasn't aged particularly. It's still just... Funny
  • Options
    Hardy  “Well fan my brow, I’m from The South”
    Laurel  “Well shut my mouth! I’m from the South too!”
    Hardy  “The South of what, Sir?”
    Laurel  “The South of London!”