Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Small kids and the Lockdown

Hope that Lookie and AFKA don't mind this.

A friend of mine currently runs online dance and video classes for toddlers/preschool kid. This is her main source of income at the moment as her other business (hairdressing) has obviously dried up.

If you have toddlers/pre-school kids and live in Bexley/Dartford areas this might help break the boredom for them?

Thanks, Dave

Comments

• Emma Barnett on the radio this a.m. advocated sitting toddlers down in front of the washing machine (during a wash cycle of course) and mesmerising the little un for at least as long as it takes to get enough respite to make yourself a cuppa
  • edited April 2020
    Maybe the online hairdressing course would help some of the grownups Dave, at the moment my head looks like its on upside down. 😉
  • If it's online, why do they have to be in the Bexley/Dartford area?
  • I don’t think we can underestimate how hard it can be with kids in lockdown. I’m currently working 15 hour days trying to win a piece of new business that could tide our marketing agency through this crisis. Which means my wife is taking on the home schooling and generally trying to keep an ADHD 11 yr old boy and 5 year old brother under control. After the tantrums and everything else - she is almost broken in the evening. I want to do more but I’m trying to hang on to our financial health and livelihood.

its bloody tough 
    I hear you. Plus, there's no respite or time apart
  • It's ironic that having never spent so much time indoors in one stretch that ive also never had such little time to do anything. They are relentless! 
  • I used to have 3 kids. I'm sure I'll be kid neutral in the next 7 days.
  • Likewise, our friend Clare who runs Spellbound Parties will no doubt be struggling now everyone has cancelled their birthday parties so please check her out on https://www.facebook.com/spellboundparties.co.uk/.

She's doing loads of free stuff online for kids of various ages.
  • I don’t think we can underestimate how hard it can be with kids in lockdown. I’m currently working 15 hour days trying to win a piece of new business that could tide our marketing agency through this crisis. Which means my wife is taking on the home schooling and generally trying to keep an ADHD 11 yr old boy and 5 year old brother under control. After the tantrums and everything else - she is almost broken in the evening. I want to do more but I’m trying to hang on to our financial health and livelihood.

its bloody tough 
    Its absolute purgatory, we are in week 3 here and have lost the support network of grandparents who between them are probably round ours helping out 3 days per week under normal circumstances. Ours is only 14 months old and doesn't stop moving from the moment hes woken up ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:
    I don’t think we can underestimate how hard it can be with kids in lockdown. I’m currently working 15 hour days trying to win a piece of new business that could tide our marketing agency through this crisis. Which means my wife is taking on the home schooling and generally trying to keep an ADHD 11 yr old boy and 5 year old brother under control. After the tantrums and everything else - she is almost broken in the evening. I want to do more but I’m trying to hang on to our financial health and livelihood.

its bloody tough 
    Its absolute purgatory, we are in week 3 here and have lost the support network of grandparents who between them are probably round ours helping out 3 days per week under normal circumstances. Ours is only 14 months old and doesn't stop moving from the moment hes woken up ! 
    Same here (except 17 months) although he has about an hour nap at lunch time. Though his brother (6 months) usually takes that opportunity to kick off. Feels like every day is groundhog day! Haha Could be a lot worse though, just lighthearted moans. 
  • Son back from uni, mother of 89 also with us has all but destroyed our quiet corner, obviously people have far worse problems but a return to normality can't come quick enough. 
  • On a serious note, Disney+, Amazon Firestick, constant collaboration with the school and using tech to support the kids' learning has been invaluable so far.

The added bonus is that the kids are getting to use and learn the functionality of apps/programmes such as OneNote, Skye, Microsoft Teams etc, which should hold them in good stead for the future.

The teachers have also been fantastic when working remotely and setting things up for classes, striking a balance between actual learning and fun activities to keep them busy.

• Talal said:
    shine166 said:
    I don’t think we can underestimate how hard it can be with kids in lockdown. I’m currently working 15 hour days trying to win a piece of new business that could tide our marketing agency through this crisis. Which means my wife is taking on the home schooling and generally trying to keep an ADHD 11 yr old boy and 5 year old brother under control. After the tantrums and everything else - she is almost broken in the evening. I want to do more but I’m trying to hang on to our financial health and livelihood.

its bloody tough 
    Same here (except 17 months) although he has about an hour nap at lunch time. Though his brother (6 months) usually takes that opportunity to kick off. Feels like every day is groundhog day! Haha Could be a lot worse though, just lighthearted moans. 
    Ours still only sleeps on the move, so even naps you're with him!. 
  • My girls school have been pretty good in terms of setting work, not too much they can't do and not too little they finish in minutes. The girl next door is 13 and she is being set some ridiculous amounts. Her parents are secondary teachers and the amount of work they are having to do is ridiculous.

Added to that, a lot of the more deprived kids don't have access to the technology they need, or have home lives that support learning. They are going to be very held back I'm sad to say
  • One obvious thing is to get them out the house as much as possible, not alone of course .. that'll give parents, children, the dog (if you've got one) some exercise and much needed fresh air