Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gym and sports club memberships.... discuss....

My examples - the gym and a golf club

This golf club membership is a dilemma.

David Lloyds has suspended payments. Their global profits last year were £35.2m. So they are not expecting members to pay.

Golf clubs will have greenkeepers on split shifts. The pro if employed will be furloughed. If self employed the pro is no cost to the club. All other staff will be on less than 30k per year so they will be furloughed. Why would members pay not to be able to play.

The people losing out are the owners and senior staff. They are NOT vital for the club to survive. And when they can open again, people will come back.

I am going to be worse off in this climate. Why should a golf club do better??... Same membership income, far less overhead and running costs. We shouldn't be expected to cover clubs who focus on corporate, society and walk ons more than they want their members.....

Discuss.

Then we have to consider local grass roots football, cricket etc clubs.  I would pay subs to them as they need every penny they can get to just survive but running costs there should be low as pitches don't need cutting and league subscriptions won't need paying.


Comments

  • supaclive said:
    My examples - the gym and a golf club

    This golf club membership is a dilemma.

    David Lloyds has suspended payments. Their global profits last year were £35.2m. So they are not expecting members to pay.

    Golf clubs will have greenkeepers on split shifts. The pro if employed will be furloughed. If self employed the pro is no cost to the club. All other staff will be on less than 30k per year so they will be furloughed. Why would members pay not to be able to play.

    The people losing out are the owners and senior staff. They are NOT vital for the club to survive. And when they can open again, people will come back.

    I am going to be worse off in this climate. Why should a golf club do better??... Same membership income, far less overhead and running costs. We shouldn't be expected to cover clubs who focus on corporate, society and walk ons more than they want their members.....

    Discuss.

    Then we have to consider local grass roots football, cricket etc clubs.  I would pay subs to them as they need every penny they can get to just survive but running costs there should be low as pitches don't need cutting and league subscriptions won't need paying.


    I think you will find that cricket clubs league membership fees have been paid for this season, and the groundsman is still employed, as you have to maintain a pitch even when it's not being played on (as per golf courses). The biggest drop in revenue is loss of bar takings, and golf clubs will also suffer in this respect (plus cancellation of clubhouse functions). 

    I guess if you don't want to pay, then don't.  You can always rejoin once this is all over... 
  • My golf subscription is due in 4 days time and I don’t intend to pay it until the course opens again. Yes, the club would like to retain the 4 groundsmen to keep the course maintained and fee payment will ensure this continues, but, for me, it doesn’t seem that important at the moment. I’d rather give my subscription to health charities.

    I think the solution for the club is to get the bank to bridge them.
  • Pedro45 said:
    supaclive said:
    My examples - the gym and a golf club

    This golf club membership is a dilemma.

    David Lloyds has suspended payments. Their global profits last year were £35.2m. So they are not expecting members to pay.

    Golf clubs will have greenkeepers on split shifts. The pro if employed will be furloughed. If self employed the pro is no cost to the club. All other staff will be on less than 30k per year so they will be furloughed. Why would members pay not to be able to play.

    The people losing out are the owners and senior staff. They are NOT vital for the club to survive. And when they can open again, people will come back.

    I am going to be worse off in this climate. Why should a golf club do better??... Same membership income, far less overhead and running costs. We shouldn't be expected to cover clubs who focus on corporate, society and walk ons more than they want their members.....

    Discuss.

    Then we have to consider local grass roots football, cricket etc clubs.  I would pay subs to them as they need every penny they can get to just survive but running costs there should be low as pitches don't need cutting and league subscriptions won't need paying.


    I think you will find that cricket clubs league membership fees have been paid for this season, and the groundsman is still employed, as you have to maintain a pitch even when it's not being played on (as per golf courses). The biggest drop in revenue is loss of bar takings, and golf clubs will also suffer in this respect (plus cancellation of clubhouse functions). 

    I guess if you don't want to pay, then don't.  You can always rejoin once this is all over... 
    Hadn't thought about that but I'd furlough the groundsman until you know when the season will start.

    I also bet your cricket subs aren't £1k to £2k and you don't run at a profit or pay your Chairman £75k plus per year....


  • Yes David Lloyd is £100 and they made 35.2m last year so it's different and this is more about people that are being effected.  More a debate really and good to see various thoughts 
  • I have closed a gym with 2000 members 1200 of who are DD payers. We have reduced the DD to 20% for month one as we are providing online and virtual classes and additionally we do significant other Charity work including key working and are asking members to stay with us

    So far some are unfreezing and some are happy to pay full price. Will know real impact in a couple of weeks or so

  • My gym froze all memberships and said that any time lost this month will come out of the cost next time they are able to open. I was happy to continue paying. I imagine the gym is covering staffing costs through furloughing. It is a brilliant gym and would gutted for all involved if it went under.
  • I received an email from my gym saying all payments frozen until it reopens. 
    Pure gym btw
  • I love a rant, which concludes with an instructive "discuss" :-)
  • I received an email from my gym saying all payments frozen until it reopens. 
    Pure gym btw
    https://www.better.org.uk/www.better.org.uk/coronavirus

    Better have done the same thing too
  • Sponsored links:


  • mendonca said:
    I love a rant, which concludes with an instructive "discuss" :-)
    It appears literally every gym has frozen membership fees but golf clubs haven't.

    And I love golf.   But fuck me their attitudes stink.
  • Strange, how comes that's the case? Do the presume all members are part of society's elite with case to burn, and taking advantage of that?
  • Better off chucking a discuss around in a field mate. Be dangerous doing it in a James
  • Don’t see the issue with playing golf.Call the golf club to pay green fee and show up in your own car go straight to the tee meet your mate and stay 6 feet apart while walking the course. The sticking point being...picking up ball out of hole. Maybe the club places a flag in the green no hole and if you hit that it counts? Wipe your clubs down after every use and the ball.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out!