Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Working during covid-19

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'm a software developer and I normally work at home anyway. 

But ,interestingly, I have found it harder since everybody else started working from home!

I think one problem is that, without a "mother ship", it's more difficult to find out what I am actually supposed to be achieving. 

So, for instance, there may be something no quite right with a calculation but it is impossible to obtain consensus about what should actually happen. I feel everybody is sitting at home now in their isolated worlds and they don't really discuss it. I just get various different opinions and am left to decide what is best. Which isn't actually my job!
  • Options
    I'm a software developer and I normally work at home anyway. 

But ,interestingly, I have found it harder since everybody else started working from home!

I think one problem is that, without a "mother ship", it's more difficult to find out what I am actually supposed to be achieving. 

So, for instance, there may be something no quite right with a calculation but it is impossible to obtain consensus about what should actually happen. I feel everybody is sitting at home now in their isolated worlds and they don't really discuss it. I just get various different opinions and am left to decide what is best. Which isn't actually my job!

We've maintained the 'mother ship' throughout lockdown, for the very reasons you state.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    bobmunro said:
    Any london office workers heard anything about getting back to the old normal and going back in?

I think my office will be getting us back in within the next week or 2 :unamused:
    How has your remote working been? We not going back in until September. No reason for the added risk and we have proven we can WFH fine
    No problems with my remote working. I'm gutted as I've adapted to wfh. Saved a fortune and enjoyed sitting here in my shorts and tshirt while scratching my nuts with not a care in the world.

However all employers are different and mine was always going to be one of them that wanted staff back asap. We obviously wont all go back at once but it will be done in stages.

The wife's company are completely the opposite and have been told they wont be coming back until 2021 and even then it will only be 2 days a week.

I'm fooming.

The government guidance mandates that you should work from home if you can. (Section 2 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/offices-and-contact-centres)

That has not changed.   Ask them to put in writing/ an email that you will be required to come to the office against government guidance which stipulates you should work from home if you can.

(Assuming that you can work from home productively that is).

This mindset of must be in the office to be working is so antiquated and I can see a lot of companies losing goodwill over it in that they're happy to risk the health of the staff entirely unnecessarily for nothing more than sheer presenteeism.

I agree, to a degree. If staff are as productive working from home then that should continue.

I've highlighted the key point in your post. When lock down started we basically sent 98% of our workforce home, beefed up our remote access capability and enabled those that could work from home to at least maintain a degree of productivity - some in roles that couldn't be completed remotely were basically at home on full pay doing nothing.
    The levels of productivity varied significantly - software developers for example were almost as productive, whereas some roles were functioning at very low levels of productivity, or not at all.
    We won't be bringing back software developers anytime soon!
    We are though returning some other roles that are for example 30% productive working remotely but 100% productive being office based - whilst meeting every guideline (and more) in the guidance you link to.
    That isn't doing it for the sake of presenteeism.

Interesting. I would expect that software developers are most introverts and are quite happy working from home, whereas extroverts who require people around them to be energised and productive are struggling. What are you finding with working parents? I can basically work only half a day (normally work 4 days a week as it is) as can my Mrs due to primary aged kids. Makes it hard to do a full days days, and I cannot rest my mind as it's either full on work or full on kids. 

Boss asked me when that could be resolved, and the only answer is when the childcare situation changes, meaning school go back, or they can spend a bit of time with grandparents. He hasn't got kids, and doesn't quite get it.

It's more about the nature of the work and the interactions required, rather than personality traits. But your point on introversion/extroversion is certainly valid regarding well being, particularly mental well being.
    We are trying to be as flexible as possible in terms of childcare - and being a 24/7 operation makes it easier to schedule work rotas for those with childcare issues.
  • Options
    Working at home I now have the double whammy of no water and no chance of getting it back "until it rains".

I've basically given up trying and just keep putting difficult things off! Everything just seems to be falling apart anyway so why bother?
    Where on earth do you live?
    How can a water company supply no water potentially for weeks?
    I don’t know about that claim but I work for one of the Southern Water companies and we’re really struggling with demand. It’s at a 10 year high and a week or so back demand was at the same level as the summer 18 heatwave, unprecedented for what was April. The water is there but the demand is putting incredible pressure on our ability to treat it quick enough.

Perfect storm - the best spring weather on record + every bugger at home, doing gardening, DIY, paddling pools, washing cars, sprinkling lawns etc etc etc.

The worry also is for the summer, where there is no historic modelling to predict what we’re likely to see - no buggers going away for a week or two.

Hard times currently and ahead and a frontline service doing incredible work but rarely mentioned.

Please everyone, the car doesn’t need to be washed, the lawn is okay to go brown and shower instead of baths etc etc.
    Fair points. Not going to argue with anything there.

But didn't we also have one of the wettest winters on history? February in particular. Didn't that boost storage reserves hugely?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:
    bobmunro said:
    Any london office workers heard anything about getting back to the old normal and going back in?

I think my office will be getting us back in within the next week or 2 :unamused:
    How has your remote working been? We not going back in until September. No reason for the added risk and we have proven we can WFH fine
    No problems with my remote working. I'm gutted as I've adapted to wfh. Saved a fortune and enjoyed sitting here in my shorts and tshirt while scratching my nuts with not a care in the world.

However all employers are different and mine was always going to be one of them that wanted staff back asap. We obviously wont all go back at once but it will be done in stages.

The wife's company are completely the opposite and have been told they wont be coming back until 2021 and even then it will only be 2 days a week.

I'm fooming.

The government guidance mandates that you should work from home if you can. (Section 2 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/offices-and-contact-centres)

That has not changed.   Ask them to put in writing/ an email that you will be required to come to the office against government guidance which stipulates you should work from home if you can.

(Assuming that you can work from home productively that is).

This mindset of must be in the office to be working is so antiquated and I can see a lot of companies losing goodwill over it in that they're happy to risk the health of the staff entirely unnecessarily for nothing more than sheer presenteeism.

I agree, to a degree. If staff are as productive working from home then that should continue.

I've highlighted the key point in your post. When lock down started we basically sent 98% of our workforce home, beefed up our remote access capability and enabled those that could work from home to at least maintain a degree of productivity - some in roles that couldn't be completed remotely were basically at home on full pay doing nothing.
    The levels of productivity varied significantly - software developers for example were almost as productive, whereas some roles were functioning at very low levels of productivity, or not at all.
    We won't be bringing back software developers anytime soon!
    We are though returning some other roles that are for example 30% productive working remotely but 100% productive being office based - whilst meeting every guideline (and more) in the guidance you link to.
    That isn't doing it for the sake of presenteeism.

Interesting. I would expect that software developers are most introverts and are quite happy working from home, whereas extroverts who require people around them to be energised and productive are struggling. What are you finding with working parents? I can basically work only half a day (normally work 4 days a week as it is) as can my Mrs due to primary aged kids. Makes it hard to do a full days days, and I cannot rest my mind as it's either full on work or full on kids. 

Boss asked me when that could be resolved, and the only answer is when the childcare situation changes, meaning school go back, or they can spend a bit of time with grandparents. He hasn't got kids, and doesn't quite get it.

It's more about the nature of the work and the interactions required, rather than personality traits. But your point on introversion/extroversion is certainly valid regarding well being, particularly mental well being.
    We are trying to be as flexible as possible in terms of childcare - and being a 24/7 operation makes it easier to schedule work rotas for those with childcare issues.
    It's a pain in the ass. Can't wait for school to open. I can work perfectly fine in principle at home, but I'm going mad!
  • Options
    I have to work from home.  Except I can't work from home because my company can't get the remote office connection to work. So instead of being stuck at home on my own, I'm stuck here in the office on my own (with the added bonus of getting to ride the plague train to work too!)
  • Options
    Working at home I now have the double whammy of no water and no chance of getting it back "until it rains".

I've basically given up trying and just keep putting difficult things off! Everything just seems to be falling apart anyway so why bother?
    In Haslemere (near Guildford) the water has been dropping in and out a lot recently. Yesterday, there was no water at all and they had to close local schools. Thames Water had nothing much to say on the web site except advice not to use water and that they were not taking phone calls.

So I went down to pick up some bottles of free water they were distributing in the town and the advice there was that rain was forecast for tomorrow and that should solve the problem!

The water came on in the night so I had a shower and filled everything I could! Waiting for it stop again but at least I'm clean!

So you had no chance of any water until it rained, but the water came on that night, rightio.
  • Options
    Just been on a zoom call with some work colleagues and it's been confirmed some staff are going back into the office on monday and it will gradually increase over the coming weeks ffs.

Looks like that is going against government advice.
  • Options
    Work for a Digital org, so not that much change for me, looks like the organisation as a whole won't be back in the office till 2021 for BAU stuff
  • Options
    Heading up to The City now as need to do some work in the office, first time for me on a train since lockdown

Reckon it might be a ghost town
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heading up to The City now as need to do some work in the office, first time for me on a train since lockdown

Were there many people around on trains, tube, the streets?
  • Options
    I will be returning to the office full time after Easter for a few weeks purely to escape the noise of the roof being replaced where I live. I'm looking forward to going out somewhere and having a change of scenery. Not looking forward to the joys of Southeastern five days a week though! 
  • Options

Not been there since a couple of days in October, and that was first time since March 2020. 

Have a couple of days meetings scheduled in May, and again in June ... doubt there will be many around even then. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Not been there since a couple of days in October, and that was first time since March 2020. 

Have a couple of days meetings scheduled in May, and again in June ... doubt there will be many around even then. 
    During the first lockdown in March last year I was pretty much working from home. 
    Went back to the office in July and have been there ever since.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Since Early July when I got a new boss, I had been going into the office a couple of times a week until December lockdown. I went back in last week for 2 days and then again today. 

Despite my alarm going off at the same time either way throughout this whole time, at home I tend to log on 7.15/30 until about 5.30/6 and in the office I get there about 8 and leave about 6 and I am absolutely shattered right now and eyes are closing writing this. 

So be warned, the commute is quite brutally exhausting. I was going a longer way to make it quieter but today went the original way and the tube (bakerloo) was more crowded than I was prepared for and I didn’t like it at all. Not at all as it used to be with bodies touching and faces in armpits but all seats taken and at least 8 bodies standing in each door area. When I go back in April I’ll go via Victoria or Cannon Street - the long way round - to get some space. 

I worked out I only have taken 12 days holiday this year, our holiday runs April to March so in order to use some of what I’m owed and to have a break away from the screen am now officially booked off until the 6th April. Due to redundancies there is no cover so have already scheduled a time each day to log on for at least an hour to ‘do what I need to do’.

it’ll take a lot of getting used to the new normal. I think companies have nailed wfh or work in office but I am not sure if anyone had sussed the mash up of the two.  Would be interested in any examples. As I’m part of a ways of working project team and no one has a clue exactly how it will work, and about how to communicate it to people. 
  • Options
    The psychology of "getting to work" is quite interesting.

I always used chose the slower but more comfortable route - preferably one that involved walking. I was happy to waste half an hour each way to achieve this.

But most people regard it as inconceivable to not use the quickest way to work however uncomfortable it is! That way they manage to squeeze in fifteen extra minutes with their family. But then they disappear out to the gym (or pub) to wind down!
  • Options
    Since Early July when I got a new boss, I had been going into the office a couple of times a week until December lockdown. I went back in last week for 2 days and then again today. 

Despite my alarm going off at the same time either way throughout this whole time, at home I tend to log on 7.15/30 until about 5.30/6 and in the office I get there about 8 and leave about 6 and I am absolutely shattered right now and eyes are closing writing this. 

So be warned, the commute is quite brutally exhausting. I was going a longer way to make it quieter but today went the original way and the tube (bakerloo) was more crowded than I was prepared for and I didn’t like it at all. Not at all as it used to be with bodies touching and faces in armpits but all seats taken and at least 8 bodies standing in each door area. When I go back in April I’ll go via Victoria or Cannon Street - the long way round - to get some space. 

I worked out I only have taken 12 days holiday this year, our holiday runs April to March so in order to use some of what I’m owed and to have a break away from the screen am now officially booked off until the 6th April. Due to redundancies there is no cover so have already scheduled a time each day to log on for at least an hour to ‘do what I need to do’.

it’ll take a lot of getting used to the new normal. I think companies have nailed wfh or work in office but I am not sure if anyone had sussed the mash up of the two.  Would be interested in any examples. As I’m part of a ways of working project team and no one has a clue exactly how it will work, and about how to communicate it to people. 
    For what help it is, the Victoria Line is as you described in paragraph three.

• Options
    My boss goes quiet when I mention working less hours, COVID is a minor detail on top of my health issues.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dreading having to go back into the office. 

Perfectly happy working from home - no interest in commuting again. 
    I think that's how a lot of people feel, but slowly it'll come back, but the new norm won't be 5 days a week in the office for most, more likely 2-3 days tops.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought redundancies were supposed to be of zero effect on other’s workloads. 

Your bosses are bastards if they have reduced staffing to the extent you can’t be on leave unfettered.
  • Options

So if things were different and you were on holiday abroad you would still be setting aside an hour a day to do work whilst you are on leave ? 

Are you getting an extra days leave for all the extra work you are doing ? 

• Options
    iainment said:

Your bosses are bastards if they have reduced staffing to the extent you can’t be on leave unfettered.
    🤣🤣🤣 Such a sweet kid

I have never seen redundancies made anywhere that didn't result in some poor sod being made to do more work. Often myself. I think it's a bit naive to believe anything else. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

So if things were different and you were on holiday abroad you would still be setting aside an hour a day to do work whilst you are on leave ? 

Are you getting an extra days leave for all the extra work you are doing ? 

Part of the problem is that there are less people to cover. The other part of the problem is that some of those furloughed didn’t take their holiday during furlough and we’re all now trying to take our holiday at the same time. I think it’ll get a bit better as time goes on. However every one who could possibly cover is doing at least an extra half a person job since the redundancies so adding my job on top is harsh. I work for a senior person so can pull rank a bit but hate doing so. I’m also a control freak and don’t relax unless I know what’s going on anyway. Haven’t gone abroad or on holiday in uk and not checked emails and dipped in and out of work for a few years now. Partly my fault. 
  • Options
    Just finished my weeks holiday.  Reckon I did at least 30 hours work during it. 😡
  • Options
    Just finished my weeks holiday.  Reckon I did at least 30 hours work during it. 😡
    Your choice or your employer? If employer, you really need to find a new job, that’s just not on. 
  • Options
    Zanzico just had a month off pretty much and was climbing the walls.  If I’d have known I would’ve insisted he take some of your workload on ;-) 
  • Options
    iainment said:

🤣🤣🤣 Such a sweet kid

I have never seen redundancies made anywhere that didn't result in some poor sod being made to do more work. Often myself. I think it's a bit naive to believe anything else. 
    I was being ironic. It’s way over the top though that holidays are effected.