Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Play Off Finals combined XI

2»

Comments

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Limiting myself only to players who started in each game, and I've chosen a 4-4-2 diamond as that, I think, gets the best possible XI out there!

GK - Sasa Ilic. I think Phillips is a fantastic keeper, and probably better than Sasa, but you can't forget just how good Sasa was in the run-up to that final. He'd be the form pick.

RB - Danny Mills. Think he's a prick - a proper prick - for various reasons, but there's no debating he is a better choice than a raw, albeit physically gifted and sure-footed, Dijksteel.

CB - Richard Rufus. He pretty much had it all - determination, grit, pace, strength, aerial ability... How did he not play for England?!

CB - Patrick Bauer. I think his lack of pace is made up for by Rufus, and they'd complement each other wonderfully at the back. He's a bit more cerebral and would organise the defence well. I have to also point out that it was mighty tough to choose between him and Bielik, but the 94th minute last year probably gave Paddy the edge...

LB - Mark Bowen. Classy footballer - much more so than Purrington I'm afraid (despite the latter's equaliser!) - and someone I think I'd rely on 90-odd times out of a hundred to keep his cool in a final, and also smash home a penalty. Pretty comfortable on both feet if I recall correctly.

CDM - Keith Jones. I envisage him as swapping roles in a slightly fluid role with Cullen (and to a lesser extent, both of them with Kinsella). That assist for Mendonca's second is something I've always found slightly underrated because of Clive's two touches and finish being so arch - but the bloke had drive and determination in spades.

CM - Mark Kinsella (c). Not sure anyone needs to justify Kins in the side. One of the greatest players I've ever seen in the shirt.

CM - Josh Cullen. It's absolutely mad to think that he's probably my weak link in this side (along with Mills), given he was so important in the run-up to the final last season. But that's a good thing given how instrument he was in breaking up opposition moves through interceptions; tracking back and marking; and his ability to find a concise pass very quickly.

CAM - Joe Aribo. I think his armoury of skill is more than enough to worry a defence, especially when he will essentially have free rein in front of the other midfielders to do what he likes. He can also win the ball back with those long gangly legs. His creativity unleashed with Mendonca and Taylor reading off him... man, that is a tasty thought.

CF - Lyle Taylor. An absolute warrior up front that defenders would hate to play against no matter the era, and an even more perfect foil for Clive than Bright was. He's intelligent and his hold-up play would cause no end of problems for whoever he was up against.

CF - Mendonca. Obviously.

Subs (allowing us seven because it's 2020 now!): Phillips, Dijksteel, Purrington, Bielik, Pratley, Newton, Bright (again, only those who started either game)

In Danny Mills' first stint with us he was quality, has to be him.

On overall ability:

Phillips
    Mills Rufus Bauer Bowen
    Newton Jones Kinsella Robinson
    Mendonca Taylor

3 Subs (as it was in 1998): Brown, Cullen, Bright

Combination of ability and 'on the day':

Phillips
    Mills Rufus Bauer Purrington
    Cullen Jones
    Aribo Williams Kinsella
    Mendonca

3 Subs: Brown, Robinson, Taylor
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Limiting myself only to players who started in each game, and I've chosen a 4-4-2 diamond as that, I think, gets the best possible XI out there!

GK - Sasa Ilic. I think Phillips is a fantastic keeper, and probably better than Sasa, but you can't forget just how good Sasa was in the run-up to that final. He'd be the form pick.

RB - Danny Mills. Think he's a prick - a proper prick - for various reasons, but there's no debating he is a better choice than a raw, albeit physically gifted and sure-footed, Dijksteel.

CB - Richard Rufus. He pretty much had it all - determination, grit, pace, strength, aerial ability... How did he not play for England?!

CB - Patrick Bauer. I think his lack of pace is made up for by Rufus, and they'd complement each other wonderfully at the back. He's a bit more cerebral and would organise the defence well. I have to also point out that it was mighty tough to choose between him and Bielik, but the 94th minute last year probably gave Paddy the edge...

LB - Mark Bowen. Classy footballer - much more so than Purrington I'm afraid (despite the latter's equaliser!) - and someone I think I'd rely on 90-odd times out of a hundred to keep his cool in a final, and also smash home a penalty. Pretty comfortable on both feet if I recall correctly.

CDM - Keith Jones. I envisage him as swapping roles in a slightly fluid role with Cullen (and to a lesser extent, both of them with Kinsella). That assist for Mendonca's second is something I've always found slightly underrated because of Clive's two touches and finish being so arch - but the bloke had drive and determination in spades.

CM - Mark Kinsella (c). Not sure anyone needs to justify Kins in the side. One of the greatest players I've ever seen in the shirt.

CM - Josh Cullen. It's absolutely mad to think that he's probably my weak link in this side (along with Mills), given he was so important in the run-up to the final last season. But that's a good thing given how instrument he was in breaking up opposition moves through interceptions; tracking back and marking; and his ability to find a concise pass very quickly.

CAM - Joe Aribo. I think his armoury of skill is more than enough to worry a defence, especially when he will essentially have free rein in front of the other midfielders to do what he likes. He can also win the ball back with those long gangly legs. His creativity unleashed with Mendonca and Taylor reading off him... man, that is a tasty thought.

CF - Lyle Taylor. An absolute warrior up front that defenders would hate to play against no matter the era, and an even more perfect foil for Clive than Bright was. He's intelligent and his hold-up play would cause no end of problems for whoever he was up against.

CF - Mendonca. Obviously.

Subs (allowing us seven because it's 2020 now!): Phillips, Dijksteel, Purrington, Bielik, Pratley, Newton, Bright (again, only those who started either game)
    Bowen vs Purrington is like Krug vs Tizer 

• Options
    Robinson over Williams. Different class and Robinson scored goals.

Ilic over Philips. I rate Dillon but Ilic was brilliant that season.

Would be interesting if you'd included the Leeds play-off team.
    I think he was crap in that final. But as I watched it with my son, I kept telling him simply how brilliant he was in the last 10 or so games up to the final. 
  • Options
    Taylor, Cullen and Bielik are the only ones from last season who come into consideration. One team nearly got automatic promotion in one of the strongest championship seasons of them all and the other finished 4th in a weak League One. No comparison 
  • Options
    Would love to have seen Clive & Lyle play together
  • Options
    Taylor, Cullen and Bielik are the only ones from last season who come into consideration. One team nearly got automatic promotion in one of the strongest championship seasons of them all and the other finished 4th in a weak League One. No comparison 
    Bauer as well
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Just quickly....

Bolder

Humphrey Shirtliff Rufus Bowen

Lee K. Jones Kinsella Walsh

Mendonca Melrose

Subs; Taylor, Bright, Miller, Brown, M. Stuart, Peake, Illic, 
    Only change I'd make to that starting XI would be Reid for Bowen but some great players in that 87 team.
  • Options
    Who would be in your team from the players that played in the 2 games against our bitches Sunderland?..... I’d go with:

Phillips
    Brown | Rufus | Bauer | Bowen
    Cullen | Jones | Kinsella
    Williams
    Mendonca | Taylor

Manager - Curbishley 

Well that killed 2 mins - only another 3 months to go. 

Wembley '98, swapping Ilic for Phillips.
  • Options
    The only '99 promotion players who would get anywhere near the '98 promotion team would be Taylor and Phillips.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    The only '99 promotion players who would get anywhere near the '98 promotion team would be Taylor and Phillips.
    I presume you mean on the bench as there is no way Phillips should be ahead of Kiely
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phillips (huge clanger and excellent season) v Ilic (conceded 4 goals and excellent season) :-)
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Phillips (huge clanger and excellent season) v Ilic (conceded 4 goals and excellent season) :-)

Not at fault for any of the goals as I seem to recall.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I presume you mean on the bench as there is no way Phillips should be ahead of Kiely
    Kiely played for Bury at the time, so pretty irrelevant.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    Kiely played for Bury at the time, so pretty irrelevant.
    Think you have your years messed up and mean the 2019 team. 
  • Options
    Who would be in your team from the players that played in the 2 games against our bitches Sunderland?..... I’d go with:

Phillips
    Brown | Rufus | Bauer | Bowen
    Cullen | Jones | Kinsella
    Williams
    Mendonca | Taylor

Manager - Curbishley 

Well that killed 2 mins - only another 3 months to go. 

That's the best laugh I've had in ages!  :)
  • Options
    Doesn’t affect your argument too much, but we actually finished 3rd, not 4th last year, while we finished 4th, not 3rd in 98, so if you were to apply the “nearly got automatic” argument, it should be to the 2019 team.
    But I take your point.