Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Evolution of the Charlton programme

Comments

• Options
    Love these. Shows that the traditional 3pm kick off isn't that traditional. Earlier pre-floodlight starts I get, but Chesterfield at home in May goes at 3.30 and Millwall on Nov 6th at 3.15, when it must have been getting dark at the end.
    Did we have double summer time during the war?  Not sure or what happened in winter

@SE7toSG3 @Blitzwalker

• Options
    Love these. Shows that the traditional 3pm kick off isn't that traditional. Earlier pre-floodlight starts I get, but Chesterfield at home in May goes at 3.30 and Millwall on Nov 6th at 3.15, when it must have been getting dark at the end.
    Did we have double summer time during the war?  Not sure or what happened in winter

@SE7toSG3 @Blitzwalker

• Options
    We had double summer time during a period in the war.  I can remember it still bring light a 11 pm.
  • Options
    Great thread

I haven't bought a programme in many many years, but can't ever recall them having Volume and issue numbers (certainly from when I started going in 1985). It would be a nice nod to history if they were reinstated (unless they are there and I've just never noticed).
  • Options
    Part 12: Cup Winners

You might expect the programme to "go big" on winning the FA Cup but as you can see this 1947 issue for the game immediately after the final, while it's the lead story it's not exactly OTT.

Thankfully, with wartime restrictions starting to lift the much loved heading has returned.  There is little space for notes in any case what with the heading and the now much bigger OXO advert.

The price is back up to 2d again. We lost 1- 3 in front of 45, 608 to the eventual champions, Liverpool

Charlton played six league games after the 26 April day out at Wembley finishing 4th from bottom but well clear of relegation with Brentford going down in 21st nine points behind us. (For youngsters these were the days of 22 teams in the top flight, two up, two down and two points for a win).

Love the 'Cup Winners' thing.
  • Options
    Part 13:  1955

A new decade and a new look programme cover.

The header now has a red background and white lettering with a black drop shadow.  It wasn't the reason that we used something similar on the Charlton railway bridge mural but it shows what a classic bit of design it is.

The price has risen to 3d and the cover is dominated by one advert.  A brand called "Red & White" is perfect marketing alignment although looking from 2020 promoting smoking does seem very strange.

No result from this game as it was postponed. This and opponents make it a very rare and very valuable programme.

It’s so strange seeing cigarettes being advertised, and especially on the front cover of a football programme and how quickly the ban on not advertising fags has become the norm.
  • Options
    Yes,  smoking was fashionable back then and I imagine quite a few players used to smoke too. 

Look at all of the old films of that era.  They all used to smoke to look tough or sophisticated. 
  • Options
    Why the 3.15 kick off? In February with no lights? These times are doing my head in. Or I need to get out more.

Not happy about getting the records from what is obviously a Millwall record shop.

Oh, and the cup final as the last game of the season is another made-up tradition I guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Part 13:  1955

A new decade and a new look programme cover.

The header now has a red background and white lettering with a black drop shadow.  It wasn't the reason that we used something similar on the Charlton railway bridge mural but it shows what a classic bit of design it is.

The price has risen to 3d and the cover is dominated by one advert.  A brand called "Red & White" is perfect marketing alignment although looking from 2020 promoting smoking does seem very strange.

No result from this game as it was postponed. This and opponents make it a very rare and very valuable programme.

Not for Bill Clinton then....
  • Options
    Part 15: 1960

Having just missed out on an immediate return to the top flight in 1958 by the 1960s Charlton were well on the way to becoming a routine 2nd tier club.

But while there was little success there was entertainment.   This Boxing day 6 - 4 win over Plymouth argyle was immediately followed the next day by a 4-6 defeat away to, yes, Plymouth Argyle.

As for the programme we're moving into the swinging 60s with a photograph of a player and the match info at a 90 degree angle on a red vertical bar.

The price has doubled to 6d (2.5p)

• Options
    edited April 2020

Part 16: 1962 

Just 7 years after losing our Division 1 status it looks like it could get even worse as we look set for relegation to Division 3.

In the last home game of season we needed to win to have a chance of staying up. Cliff Durandt scored the winning goal in a 2-1 victory in the 89th minute with a “banana shot”.

Our "last" away was at fellow strugglers Walsall and we needed a win to jump above the Saddlers and stay up. With the score at 0 - 0 the game was abandoned at half time due to a waterlogged pitch.

In the re-arranged match we won 2 -1 greatly helped by the Walsall keeper going off injured and an outfielder going in goal (no subs then).  We finished third from bottom and stayed up on goal difference.

Coincidentally, Charlton had won their first ever league promotion at Walsall in 1929.

The programme has retained its jazzy red side bar but it is now blank. The cover now features a picture of the Valley from the open end (now the Jimmy Seed stand) showing off our relatively new floodlights.

• Options
    My second game, I remember the crowd went mad when Durandt scored the winner
  • Options
    Is that an artists impression of the floodlights? they look "thicker" on this image than they were in real life...
  • Options
    I wonder if the bloke in the flat cap used to get the programme out in the pub after every game and tell everyone "that's my head that is"
  • Options
    Thanks Henry Irving. I think Large donated his programmes to the museum, didn't he? I remember the red band with the honours listed. I don't agree that the photo overlap is ugly though. I love that design. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Henry Irving. I think Large donated his programmes to the museum, didn't he? I remember the red band with the honours listed. I don't agree that the photo overlap is ugly though. I love that design. 
    I said untidy rather than ugly but it's not as balanced as the previous.

Wait for tomorrow's far worse hotpotch.
  • Options
    Part 18: 1966

Now this is an ugly programme.  It's all over the place, the unnecessary lines, the two teams in different fonts, the photo not lined up with the side bar but still in a frame.

Worst of all for collectors or archivist it doesn't tell you the date of the game on the cover.

This was the last match of season 1965/6, which we won 2-1. We were two up in the first 4 minutes with goals from Whitehouse and Reeves but in typical Charlton style we held on to win 2-1

The match was twice postponed earlier so this is actually the third programme v Norwich for the season

• Options
    Part 19:  1969

Some design sense and, nearly, some on the field success return.

A bold, simple design with current badge, only very slightly changed in the 51 years since, on the cover although the price has doubled from 6d to 1/- (One shilling or 5p in today's money.)

But still no date on the cover.

This was a big promotion game and 32,768 turned up on 22 March 1969 to see Eddie Firmani's side, still much beloved by all Charlton fans old enough to remember them, draw 1 - 1.  Charlton had previously won a cup replay at Selhurst Park but ultimately Palace got their revenge for 30 years earlier when the Addicks had pipped the Glaziers to promotion on goal average.  This season Brian Clough's Derby and Palace would take the top two spots with Charlton in third when third was nothing.

• Options

A bold, simple design with current badge, only very slightly changed in the 51 years since, on the cover although the price has doubled from 6d to 1/- (One shilling or 5p in today's money.)

This was a big promotion game and 32,768 turned up on 22 March 1969 to see Eddie Firmani's side, still much beloved by all Charlton fans old enough to remember them, draw 1 - 1.  Charlton had previously won a cup replay at Selhurst Park but ultimately Palace got their revenge for 30 years earlier when the Addicks had pipped the Glaziers to promotion on goal average.  This season Brian Clough's Derby and Palace would take the top two spots with Charlton in third when third was nothing.

I didn’t realise that badge design was that old. I presumed it was from the late 70s. When did Charlton start using it on their shirts?
  • Options
    Exactly 2 weeks before my first ever game. Also a 1-1 draw but v Carlisle. Treacy scored in the first minute I think.  Been downhill ever since. 
  • Options

I started going in 1967-1968. Just pre-this design. But it remains my favourite...very striking and a good use of colour. I remember too how the programmes used to smell: the ink, and and quality of the paper.

• Options

68/69 was my first season, so this design will always be my favorite.
    October 1968 v Oxford United, 1-0 win with the late Graham Moore scoring the only goal at the Covered End.
    Managed to get the programme on eBay a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Part 20: 1971

The red and white "hoops" aren't a tribute to opponents QPR but this bold design will be the last of its type as new and cheaper printing techniques lead to more use of photographs.

If you look closely the badge is printed slightly off kilter

The price has gone from 1/- to 6p marking the UK's switch to the decimal system. In effect, the price has gone up one new pence from 5p.

Collectors and archivists rejoice at the return of the date of the game.

Charlton won this game 2- 1 against a R's side containing Terry Venables, future Addick Tony Hazell, Gerry Francis and Rodney Marsh but it wasn't enough to stop Theo Foley's side dropping into Division 3 for the first time in nearly 40 years.

• Options
    For the few years previous to this one I had to rely on my dad to take me to the Valley or catch him on a good day when he allowed me to go on my own from our Abbey Wood home. When I hit 10 years of age he decided I was old enough and this was the first season I never missed game. I found out years later the odd game he did let me go to when I was 8 and 9 were the ones he deemed low key and unlikely to see crowd trouble.

Was this the game when the covered end taunted Marsh with the song 'Rodney is a fairy'? That was well funny! 
  • Options
    Part 21: 1975

A sea change in the "programme" cover.  For the first time there was a full colour picture and bar special events and retro designs this is how it would stay.

The keeper being so far out the empty Covered End shows that this was a staged photo but it's still a strong image with vivid colour and bold, simple lettering.

The cover stayed the same all season but the simple text box gives all the information you need.

Note that this is no longer a programme but a "match-day magazine".  Changes in VAT rules meant that while magazines were VAT free, programmes were not, prompting a tax avoiding change at most clubs.  The ruling was changed in later years before any accountants reading blow a gasket. 

Charlton are back in the 2nd Division after three years in the third tier.  This game resulted in a 5 - 1 defeat to financially stricken Luton, the Hatters were reported to have a massive £750k debt but they still finished 7th, two places above Charlton.

This Wednesday defeat was a shock as it was the Addicks' first home league reversal under floodlights since April 1972.