Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Isolation Recreation - The Old Films Thread

Comments

• Options
    FSLN1 said:
    I will nominate the Maltese Falcon or the Big Sleep for lovers of hard bitten private eye fiction.
    Cracking choices. I'll also add Double Indemnity and The Postman Always Rings Twice (the original version with Lana Turner) 
  • Options
    FSLN1 said:
    If you like a war film, The cruel sea kicks off at 2 on BBC 2

Also an Ealing Studio film although very much removed from their standard comedies.

My grandfather went on one of the Russian convoys, the one that left after the doomed QP17 convoy, I remember some of the harrowing soiries and sense of sheer terror that the sailors went through. I've read the book it was based and while the film has some grim moments the book is a bit grimmer. It's also one of the few films about WWII that gets under the stiff upper lip way that British and Allied servicemen and women are usually portrayed.
    It was PQ17 but that's a minor detail.  I've just finished reading a book about Tirpitz which was, of course, the reason the convoy was told to scatter.  Or perhaps it could be said the reason was a sick and soon to die Dudley Pound losing his nerve - the intelligence he had didn't say Tirpitz was definitely at sea.  Whichever, it must have been awful for the sailors on the merchantmen knowing they were sailing on to near certain death.

I guess you mean harrowing stories, not harrowing soiries.
  • Options
    Brief Encounter is probably my favourite film. Just an absolute classic. Charming, moving. British cinema at its very best. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Brief Encounter is probably my favourite film. Just an absolute classic. Charming, moving. British cinema at its very best. 
    Was on recently and watched it again. Its definitely a classic. 
  • Options
    Kind Hearts and Coronets is on Talking Pictures TV this evening at 5:50pm
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Kind Hearts and Coronets is on Talking Pictures TV this evening at 5:50pm

Yes I am recording it, lovely film
  • Options
    One thing I like about old films is the location shots which are redolent of a bygone age yet bring back memories.

Talking Pictures is often worth a look. Last night I stumbled across a film with a young Helen Mirren in it called Age of Consent. Suffice to say she was very easy on the eye when younger and is not bad now.
  • Options
    I quite liked The Mouse that Roared but Passport to Pimlico is a far better film.

If we're going really old, Jean Vigo's L'Atalante.  Black and white AND subtitles.  Serious cinephile points.
    One for you @Off_it?
  • Options
    The original Miss Marple movies.
    Have them all.
    Brilliant.
  • Options
    Have them all.
    Brilliant.
    Margaret Rutherford is superb 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Have them all.
    Brilliant.
    Margaret Rutherford is superb 
    Isn’t she & I love her hubby too!
  • Options
    May I suggest The Omega Man - very topical, and starring Charlton Heston.
  • Options
    If we're talking old B&W films then I give you 'Goodbye Mr Chips'.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Hell Drivers (1957)

A cast that reads like who's who. Brilliant film.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    If we're talking old B&W films then I give you 'Goodbye Mr Chips'.
    oh yes, terrific film ... which reminds me of another, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - Maggie Smith is superb
  • Options
    One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.
    In the Heat of the Night
    The Good the Bad and the Ugly
    Atlantic City
    Dances with Wolves
    The English Patient

• Options
    It’s a times like this I wish I’d purchased some old Abbott & Costello movies.
    I might just go & have a wee looksee what’s available.
  • Options
    Some more classic black and white films:

I'm all right Jack
    Carlton Brown of the FO
    School for scoundrels
    The Green Man

• Options
    All Laurel & Hardy films.
  • Options
    The man who would be king

Michael Caine and Sean Connery
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Clive of India
    On the Waterfront

Anything from Ealing Studios ... there are some great box sets available 

This is the box set I have, it’s superb:

Kind Hearts and Coronets
    The Ladykillers
    The Lavender Hill Mob
    The Man in the White Suit
    The Magnet
    Passport to Pimlico
    The Titfield Thunderbolt
    Whisky Galore
    Champagne Charlie
    Dead of Night
    The Maggie
    Scott of the Antarctic
    Nicholas Nickleby
    Went The Day Well
    It Always Rains on Sunday
    Many of these were beautifully lit. Slightly OTT, but greatly added to the atmosphere.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    An obvious choice, sorry, but one of my favourite old films is The Apartment with Jack Lemon and Shirley McLaine. 
    First time I watched, one possibly drunken Christmas, I had to leave the room, right before the end because it all seemed so sad. 
    Second time I watched a little longer...

Some Like it Hot is again probably too obvious a choice for this thread, but it's hugely timeless, and still a great watch.

My other favourite is Alexander's Ragtime Band. I first saw it at the NFT in about '82, and was knocked out that such an old movie could still be so relevant today. I was in a band at the time, and some of the details about the mechanics of a band struggling with lack of money, and inter band relationships causing problems, certainly resonated with me.
    Great music too, and a terrific ending.
  • Options
    Hell Drivers (1957)

A cast that reads like who's who. Brilliant film.
    That’s a great film.
  • Options
    I think @Bedsaddick should set up a film of the day thread for those of us that are “working” from home.
  • Options
    I think @Bedsaddick should set up a film of the day thread for those of us that are “working” from home.
    I’m working tomorrow then I’m off for 6 days ( or more is we go on lockdown)  . I’ll see what I can do . 
  • Options
    The Blue Lamp...... earlier tonight on talking pictures. 👍
  • Options
    The man who would be king

Michael Caine and Sean Connery
    One of my all time favourites. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    An obvious choice, sorry, but one of my favourite old films is The Apartment with Jack Lemon and Shirley McLaine. 
    First time I watched, one possibly drunken Christmas, I had to leave the room, right before the end because it all seemed so sad. 

Some Like it Hot is again probably too obvious a choice for this thread, but it's hugely timeless, and still a great watch.

My other favourite is Alexander's Ragtime Band. I first saw it at the NFT in about '82, and was knocked out that such an old movie could still be so relevant today. I was in a band at the time, and some of the details about the mechanics of a band struggling with lack of money, and inter band relationships causing problems, certainly resonated with me.
    Oh yes James loved the apartment, don't forget Fred Mac Murray part as the slime-ball.
    Also reminded me of another brilliant film Plaza Suite a trilogy starring Walter Matthau. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Oh yes James loved the apartment, don't forget Fred Mac Murray part as the slime-ball.
    Also reminded me of another brilliant film Plaza Suite a trilogy starring Walter Matthau. 
    Walter Matthau was great - The Odd Couple, The Front Page, Charlie Varrick.
  • Options
    Talking Pictures CH81 all day long.