Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mortgage costs

How much would a £60000 mortgage over 14 years cost?
Tried to find out but all the websites want too much info for an initial cost quote.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    About £432 a month

but obviously depends on rate 

That is about 2.8 % interest 
  • Options
    As pp said, all depends on the interest rate. 2 year fixed @ 1.2% or SVR at 5.24%  Big difference.

• Options
    I thought the rightmove site has a mortgage calculator. 
  • Options
    As pp said, all depends on the interest rate. 2 year fixed @ 1.2% or SVR at 5.24%  Big difference.

I'm curious what is the most popular rate structure for morgage in the UK? What is SVR? Huge gap between 1.2% and 5.24%.
  • Options
    Jessie said:

I'm curious what is the most popular rate structure for morgage in the UK? What is SVR? Huge gap between 1.2% and 5.24%.
    SVR = Standard Variable Rate
  • Options
    iainment said:
    How much would a £60000 mortgage over 14 years cost?
    Tried to find out but all the websites want too much info for an initial cost quote.
    Thanks.
    Try Mortgages against MoneySupermarket

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/mortgages/rates-table/first-time-buyer/?propertyValue=180000&mortgageAmount=150000&remainingTerm=25&repaymentMethod=Repayment&sortState=MonthlyRepaymentAmount

They'll ask you for the Value | Deposit | Term | Repayment Method as the minimum amount of info
  • Options
    Type ' mortgage calculator ' into Google.

Scroll down a bit. There's a mortgage calculator! You don't even have to visit any sites and you can play around with the interest rate.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Jessie said:

Normally you “fix” your mortgage interest rate for a period of time at the start (2 to 5 years, but can be as much as 10) and after that it moves to a variable rate which rises and falls in line with the Bank of England base interest rate. 

There are lots of alternatives but that’s probably the most standard way of doing things.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Jessie said:

As of now, anyone looking for a new / remortgage will be offered primarily a fixed or tracker rate. 90% of the best /cheapest new rates being offered are 2 year fixed. It will be interesting to see what last weeks base rate reduction will do because by nature the tracker rates will now be a lot lower but I cant see fixed rates dropping by 0.5%.

The only people really on an SVR nowdays will be older, long term borrowers who've not moved or re-mortgaged over the past 10-15 years, those with really small balances that means it's not worth the cost of changing or those now not able to change (change in circumstances/ income etc) -  alhough recently the FCA have said anyone coming off a time limited rate have to be offered a new deal irrespective of whether their circumstances have changed & no income or affordability tests are applied.

SVR's range widely between the best (3.94%) to the worst (5.74%). 25 years ago virtually all borrowers were on the SVR and "introductory" offers were for FTB's as an incentive to get onto the property ladder. I remember finding out during the mid 1990's that The Halifax were offering 2 and 3 year deals to all their existing customers & all you needed to do was to write & ask to change over to one of them. No cost or valuations needed. This was really the start of where we are today. The pinnacle was just before the financial crash in 2008/9 where lenders were offering crazy deals. I've got clients on lifetime trackers of base +0.34% and even base +0.19%. One notable lender who since went bust offerred mortgages of 110%. No deposit needed & 10% on top to help with furniture, fees or a holiday...!!
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Golf. We don't have 'remortgage' here. I think our financial market is at least ten years behind yours in terms of different kinds of products. :D
  • Options
    Jessie said:

As of now, anyone looking for a new / remortgage will be offered primarily a fixed or tracker rate. 90% of the best /cheapest new rates being offered are 2 year fixed. It will be interesting to see what last weeks base rate reduction will do because by nature the tracker rates will now be a lot lower but I cant see fixed rates dropping by 0.5%.

The only people really on an SVR nowdays will be older, long term borrowers who've not moved or re-mortgaged over the past 10-15 years, those with really small balances that means it's not worth the cost of changing or those now not able to change (change in circumstances/ income etc) -  alhough recently the FCA have said anyone coming off a time limited rate have to be offered a new deal irrespective of whether their circumstances have changed & no income or affordability tests are applied.

SVR's range widely between the best (3.94%) to the worst (5.74%). 25 years ago virtually all borrowers were on the SVR and "introductory" offers were for FTB's as an incentive to get onto the property ladder. I remember finding out during the mid 1990's that The Halifax were offering 2 and 3 year deals to all their existing customers & all you needed to do was to write & ask to change over to one of them. No cost or valuations needed. This was really the start of where we are today. The pinnacle was just before the financial crash in 2008/9 where lenders were offering crazy deals. I've got clients on lifetime trackers of base +0.34% and even base +0.19%. One notable lender who since went bust offerred mortgages of 110%. No deposit needed & 10% on top to help with furniture, fees or a holiday...!!
    Glad you asked @Jessie 😂
  • Options
    Jessie said:

Glad you asked @Jessie 😂
    Sorry.......wont bother next time.