Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Red Red Robin

Hi everyone, 

I hope this okay to post here, moderators please move or delete if you need to. 

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris 
Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine 
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and 
replica shirts (see, for example sportingstatues.com, and 

Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have 
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

Clive Harris has been a wonderful help, and tells me that Charlton have been running out to Billy Cotton's the 'Red Red Robin' since 1954. 

However, I wondered if any fans knew of any rare occasions when another track might have been used, as a one off or for a special game?

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song 
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the 
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any 
questions, please let us know!  We would be very happy to discuss the 
project.

Cheers

Joe Headland

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I can't think of a time when we ran out to another tune, though a mate of mine tells me we once ran out to London Calling by the Clash. I think he was mistaken because LC was often played immediately before RRR or at other parts of the proceedings, as was Into The Valley by The Skids.

Best one offs I've heard (again not replacing RRR) were Tom Jones' Green Green Grass of Home, for the home match immediately after the Chelsea Beach debacle, and Monkees Pleasant Valley Sunday after beating someone, I think a Prem team, on the sabbath.

Someone here, I think @Glovepup , was the match DJ and may be of more help.  Talking of DJ's, useless CEO Daisy Meire once booked a house dj to play in one of the lounges pre-match. There's a brilliant video somewhere of the bemused looks on peoples' faces.

All the best with your study.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos_h264high/5C0586DDB31274777923912134656_SW_WEBM_1446904878393f5e8b253e1.mp4?versionId=ckM5CsDvcOAUi1jNXfG4DXAcHfhBnik4
  • Options
    During the 90s for a few matches I recall they played a short part of "Fanfare for the common man" before the RRR started
  • Options
    5/6 years ago The first few bars of Led Zeppelins kashmir before RRR??
  • Options
    5/6 years ago The first few bars of Led Zeppelins kashmir before RRR??
    Mmm I seem to recall that or am I imagining it? 
  • Options
    Not a bad song but I much prefer "Glad all over" by The Dave Clark Five. 
    I've heard Dave isn't the biggest fan of them using that track.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glovepup said:
    Stig said:
    I can't think of a time when we ran out to another tune, though a mate of mine tells me we once ran out to London Calling by the Clash. I think he was mistaken because LC was often played immediately before RRR or at other parts of the proceedings, as was Into The Valley by The Skids.

Best one offs I've heard (again not replacing RRR) were Tom Jones' Green Green Grass of Home, for the home match immediately after the Chelsea Beach debacle, and Monkees Pleasant Valley Sunday after beating someone, I think a Prem team, on the sabbath.

Someone here, I think @Glovepup , was the match DJ and may be of more help.  Talking of DJ's, useless CEO Daisy Meire once booked a house dj to play in one of the lounges pre-match. There's a brilliant video somewhere of the bemused looks on peoples' faces.

All the best with your study.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos_h264high/5C0586DDB31274777923912134656_SW_WEBM_1446904878393f5e8b253e1.mp4?versionId=ckM5CsDvcOAUi1jNXfG4DXAcHfhBnik4

In my 5 year stint I only ever played RRR as the players came out, I would always play London Calling and Into The Valley prior to that.
    About time this was resurrected as well 
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited March 2020
    Back in the 70's we ran out to the Star Wars theme, think we played Barnsley, got stuffed and we went back to RRR.

Green Green Grass was played prior to the teams coming out, PV contacted me to ask if I had it - I was already on to it ;-)

Couple of times, when we had the turntables in Roy King's office, we played the B Side of RRR. But I can't recall ever not playing Robin in all the time I was doing the music, Three Blokes Red Army was frequently used, as was VFR of course and great to hear that on the dilapidated PA System yesterday, can't be long before that finally breaks down, it's got to be about 23 years old now? Played Pleasant Valley Sunday after a win when we were on Sky's Super Sunday, also for the comeback draw against Man Utd (remember that well).

But in answer to the question, Robin was played at the Valley before the move, at Selhurst, at Upton Park and at home when we came back.
  • Options
    “Red, Red, Robin”  I remember watching Dick ? (surname escapes me) playing it on a turntable in the tiny room in the original West Stand players tunnel. I always remember being told to keep quiet while he made announcements and read the team out. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    “Red, Red, Robin”  I remember watching Dick ? (surname escapes me) playing it on a turntable in the tiny room in the original West Stand players tunnel. I always remember being told to keep quiet while he made announcements and read the team out. 
    Neve
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    T_C_E said:
    Neve
    Thanks Len. 👍
  • Options
    There was a live version played by a band led Billy Cotton's son (or grandson?) before a game against Liverpool around 2003/2005.  Consequently, we won. 
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited March 2020
    @Chizz That would have been Kleintje Pils, the Dutch band, that we were piping over the tannoy during the game and we got told off by the ref as the players couldnt hear the whistle!
  • Options
    Remember that very well. 
  • Options
    Not a bad song but I much prefer "Glad all over" by The Dave Clark Five. 
    I've heard Dave isn't the biggest fan of them using that track.
    I couldn’t give a shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WAKEY WAKEY!!!!!

Most people under 60 will struggle to understand the significance of this post.
  • Options
    WAKEY WAKEY!!!!!

In my mind's nose (if there is such a phrase) I can smell roast dinner cooking just reading that....
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    LenGlover said:
    WAKEY WAKEY!!!!!

In my mind's nose (if there is such a phrase) I can smell roast dinner cooking just reading that....
    How uncanny Len......when I wrote that my mind went straight back to Sunday dinner and my lovely happy childhood at home with all the family.....happy carefree days indeed.
    I would turn the clock back in a heartbeat for just a small moment in time from those days.
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone for commenting and sharing your memories, its invaluable to the project. 

So Kleintje Pils played a cover on the pitch - do they have connection to the club, or was it by chance that happened? I can see they've done a whole host of covers of songs online, I'm just intrigued to hear the story, if there is one. 

Cheers

• Options
    Chizz said:
    There was a live version played by a band led Billy Cotton's son (or grandson?) before a game against Liverpool around 2003/2005.  Consequently, we won.

I'm sure it was the anniversary of back to the valley, we won 2 nil and konchesky scored one of them
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @Joeheadland I can't help you but should point out I won the prestigious Earnshaw tournament in 1997 at Sheffield University and took part in the last 3 ever pyjama jumps.  Sheffield is all the poorer since they were banned