Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Survey Request

I am a third year student studying sociology at the University of Roehampton. I am writing a thesis on racism at football grounds and whether enough is being done to combat it. I have created this short survey in order to gather data on the issue. It should take approximately 5-10 minutes. This survey is completely anonymous and you can withdraw at any time. The purpose of this consent form is to make you aware of your rights within this research. I would be extremely grateful if you were able to complete it. Thank you.

https://alexanderweeks1234.survey.fm/racism-in-english-football-grounds

Comments

• Filled it out, feel free to message if I can help more with the thesis - I'm not too fussed about being anonymous!
  • edited March 2020
    I've done it and good luck, but it's a pretty poorly worded survey in my view.

Questions like "Have you seen a decrease in the amount of racism at football grounds due to the introduction of these initiatives? "

There's unquestionably been a decrease in the amount of racism - at least overt racism - at football grounds, but I'm not sure you can categorically say that this was due to the introduction of some, none or all of those initiatives.

It also seems to have the starting assumption that everyone experiences obvious racism at all football grounds (all the time), which just isn't the case. Maybe a question at the start to gauge the persons initial view as to the levels of racism at  football grounds might've been a good idea.

But anyway, as I said, good luck.
  • Done but the distinction between witnessing and experiencing racism isn't clear.

I took it as hearing abuse or having abuse directed at me personally but a black person, for example, hearing a racist chant my feel both to have witnessed and experienced racism from the same chant.

Also think individual club initiatives, such as our red, white and black campaign have been more effective than Kick it Out.

Good luck anyway.
  • edited March 2020
    I see Leicester and Burnley forums have been contacted too. Good response from Burnley apparently including a lovely story from a Gills match
    http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38259185
  • Easy to do survey, though questions may not be perfect but I know he is a Charlton season ticket holder so all responses greatly appreciated.