Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Part time job for 16 yr old

Hi All

My son who is 16, 17 in April is looking for a part time job, working Saturdays or Sundays and evenings.

He went around the shops in Bromley but most wouldn’t accept a paper CV and said to apply online. Trouble is that there are lots of these sites so am at a bit of a loss as to where to start.

Any Lifers able to advise on the best way forward? He can get easily to Bromley, Lewisham, Catford, Beckenham.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Options
    cblock said:
    Sorry , can't help but how crap is that, surely  going around the shops looking for work with a paper cv
    shows a willingness to work and should be rewarded, more so than doing it online.

Good luck to your son.
    Thank you
  • Options
    I would always take the time to interview anyone who showed that willingness to work , as I employ a lot of students I’m always hiring & have given a go to almost all those who have come in person with a cv.
    would be good to research the business a little & find the name of the owner/manager & to ask for them as sone staff will not bother to pass on the info to the right person out of laziness or fear of being replaced!
  • Options
    I would always take the time to interview anyone who showed that willingness to work , as I employ a lot of students I’m always hiring & have given a go to almost all those who have come in person with a cv.
    would be good to research the business a little & find the name of the owner/manager & to ask for them as sone staff will not bother to pass on the info to the right person out of laziness or fear of being replaced!
    Thank you
  • Options
    Hi All

My son who is 16, 17 in April is looking for a part time job, working Saturdays or Sundays and evenings.

He went around the shops in Bromley but most wouldn’t accept a paper CV and said to apply online. Trouble is that there are lots of these sites so am at a bit of a loss as to where to start.

Any Lifers able to advise on the best way forward? He can get easily to Bromley, Lewisham, Catford, Beckenham.

Thanks for your time.
    My Mrs works in the Glades and is going to find out tomorrow if anything is available.
    The no paper CV is to do with data protection (she says)
  • Options
    Not sure what it's like now but 10 years ago I had much more success with independent shops/cafes who wouldn't even have a website to apply through than I did chains. I remember printing out 20 and just going round everywhere in Greenwich. Market stalls might also need a hand so thats also worth a shot.
  • Options
    Not sure what it's like now but 10 years ago I had much more success with independent shops/cafes who wouldn't even have a website to apply through than I did chains. I remember printing out 20 and just going round everywhere in Greenwich. Market stalls might also need a hand so thats also worth a shot.
    That’s great advice, many thanks.
  • Options
    Hi All

Thanks for your time.
    My Mrs works in the Glades and is going to find out tomorrow if anything is available.
    The no paper CV is to do with data protection (she says)
    That’s really kind. Thank you.
  • Options
    On East Street (I think) - next to where The Bell pub used to be - is Falconwood Employment Agency.  25 odd years ago as a late teen it was my place of choice as they always had loads of temp / part time stuff.  Not great jobs but ok to earn a bit for the first time.  They are still there and still look the same with paper printed adverts in the window.  A long time since I went in but maybe worth a go.
  • Options
    On East Street (I think) - next to where The Bell pub used to be - is Falconwood Employment Agency.  25 odd years ago as a late teen it was my place of choice as they always had loads of temp / part time stuff.  Not great jobs but ok to earn a bit for the first time.  They are still there and still look the same with paper printed adverts in the window.  A long time since I went in but maybe worth a go.
    Thank you. I will pass that on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    both my daughters work, they did both work in McDonalds but the younger now works in Waitrose in Bromley.

Pretty sure McDonalds at the Yorkshire Grey are looking, they always seem to have vacancies.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    both my daughters work, they did both work in McDonalds but the younger now works in Waitrose in Bromley.

Pretty sure McDonalds at the Yorkshire Grey are looking, they always seem to have vacancies.
    Thank you
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I’m often looking for staff at Greenwich market on the jobs thread. If a 16 year old could get from Bromley for a 5am start i’ll see what i can do.
  • Options
    Greenwich to Leeds is a long daily commute!
  • Options
     Now that is keen. Leeds to Greenwich is quite a commute everyday. 
    Not when you’ve got company. 🙂
  • Options
    Has he tried the local gastro type pubs or chains that do food? They're always looking for weekend table staff and if he's cheerful and attentive he could earn a fortune in tips around Bromley.
  • Options
    What may work is emailing the cv and then following up with a visit in person.  Ask for the manager and then say to them the manager that you have emailed your cv and would be really keen to hear of any opportunities.

That would show the manager that he is proactive and has gone the extra mile beyond an emailed cv and likely put him ahead of other candidates.  Also meeting someone in person creates rappport and humanises the cv.  If the managers remember him from his previous visit that will count as a good plus too as it shows commitment. 

Good luck to your son.

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Has he tried the local gastro type pubs or chains that do food? They're always looking for weekend table staff and if he's cheerful and attentive he could earn a fortune in tips around Bromley.
    Thank you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What may work is emailing the cv and then following up with a visit in person.  Ask for the manager and then say to them the manager that you have emailed your cv and would be really keen to hear of any opportunities.

That would show the manager that he is proactive and has gone the extra mile beyond an emailed cv and likely put him ahead of other candidates.  Also meeting someone in person creates rappport and humanises the cv.  If the managers remember him from his previous visit that will count as a good plus too as it shows commitment. 

Good luck to your son.

Thank you
  • Options
    Pleasure, sounds like he's a good lad with the attitude to go round the shops, and lucky to have a dad like you asking for him so I'm sure he will get something soon.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    My previous comment was silly, just edited, just realised he's not 18. Worth checking restaurants of pubs tho. 
  • Options
    Does he know what he wants to do as a career?  A life plan would impress employers, especially if he targeted that nichè.

Shame Greenwich Auctions has closed (there is one in Sidcup). If I was 17, in hindsight, a porter job there would be really interesting.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Does he know what he wants to do as a career?  A life plan would impress employers, especially if he targeted that nichè.

Shame Greenwich Auctions has closed (there is one in Sidcup). If I was 17, in hindsight, a porter job there would be really interesting.
    He’s at college at the mo and wants to go to uni to do sports management and get his coaching badges alongside it.
    For the last year he has been coaching an u10 team on a voluntary basis, two training sessions a week and games on Sunday, usually at the Marathon ground. Wants some income ( on top of a decent monthly allowance) and independence now. Hopefully he will get something.
  • Options
     Might be worth a look on the jobs website indeed?
  • Options
    Check the supermarket's Web sites, its all online now.  Sainsburys and Asda don't advertise anywhere else (although indeed do nick them).

The bigger supermarkets are always looking for cookie crew (under 18s on an evening shift).  Any specific questions feel free to DM me. 
  • Options
    Good luck to you son mate, keep us updated how he does
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Check the supermarket's Web sites, its all online now.  Sainsburys and Asda don't advertise anywhere else (although indeed do nick them).

The bigger supermarkets are always looking for cookie crew (under 18s on an evening shift).  Any specific questions feel free to DM me. 
    Thank you
  • Options
    Good luck to you son mate, keep us updated how he does
    Thank you. Will do.