Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Huddersfield v Charlton | Sat 29 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Huddersfield Town v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 29th February 2020 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Geoff Eltringham (THEY'VE FOUND US A NEW REFEREE)

Introduction
Well this game is quite simply remarkable, it’s the last time the event will happen for twenty eight years. It’s an occasion that hasn’t happened for the same length of time when on 29th February 1992 the Addicks travelled to Barnsley where they would suffer a 1-0 defeat – Of course I’m talking about leap years falling on a Saturday, it’s an occasion that rarely happens as previously mentioned, and it involves a trip to Yorkshire… This weekend we make the short trip from Sheffield to Huddersfield, an instant response from our midweek clash is oh so important as the battle to survive gets even tighter!!

The Opposition
Name
: Huddersfield Town (19th) | Manager: Danny Cowley
Ground: Kirklees Stadium
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 0-1 Huddersfield Town

There really is very little to speak about in terms of the previous meeting between these sides – Huddersfield were and still are a side struggling to cope with dropping out of the Premier League, it’s no joke for their supporters in the respect that they could suffer back to back relegations; Sunderland a perfect example of how you need to bounce back from the disappointment quickly else life in League One can last longer than you’d like (we should know!!)… Certainly a lesson for Norwich City who’ll surely be playing Championship Football next term

Their 1-0 win at the Valley was without doubt, nothing to shout about, it was a drab game with two struggling teams slogging it out like a boxer in the final few rounds of a bout – As we saw on Wednesday night, and it would be a late, late goal that would seal the points for the visitors that day!!

Yet when all is said and done; Huddersfield in my opinion have the one of the best Managerial duos outside of the Premier League and should our opponents survive for another year in the Championship then I won’t be surprised if they do slowly prosper; Karlan Grant (whilst poor in the reverse fixture) is quite simply the man keeping the Terriers above the dotted line, he’s returned after missing three games and will surely enjoy a goal or two after his harsh reception at the Valley this season!!

Charlton Team News
Well we’ve been here before haven’t we…? News has filtered through fans that Naby Sarr and Jonny Williams are both expected to be absent for longer than actually being reported – Both have travelled to Yorkshire so it’ll be interesting to see if there is substance in those rumours (as we saw with Lyle Taylor in September) or whether it’s nothing to be concerned about.

In terms of line ups you’d hope that we’ll go back to the diamond formation – Playing three in defence has its uses yet with Tom Lockyer now suspended for two games you’d have to wonder who else can play at the back if Naby Sarr isn’t yet available!! – George Lapslie on the other hand will surely be pushing for a starting berth after another impressive display from the bench, whilst Lyle Taylor will no doubt have a happy reunion with the Manager who truly started his career at Concord Rangers, just hope the training balls and football kit (Lyle's transfer fee to Bournemouth) was worth it!!

Phillips
Matthews | Oshilaja | Pearce | Purrington
Cullen | Davis | Lapslie
McGeady
Green | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Doughty | Williams | Oztumer | Bonne | Smith

Prediction
It amazes me how the main stream media continue to think that the unpredictability of the Championship is anything other than the norm!! – The teams struggling at the bottom just refuse to give up hope and this is turning into a fascinating relegation battle that I wish we weren’t part of – The bounce back we saw against Nottingham Forest (after the Stoke display) means there is no certainty that it’ll be a home win!!

Comments

• edited February 2020
    Comments from Cawley on Lyle Taylor below ahead of the game tomorrow... Didnt realise it but Cowley has also had Macauley Bonne play for him (loan @ Lincoln)

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/charlton-striker-danny-cowley-sold-17391278
  • edited February 2020
    Where's Pratley gone? We missed him again during a niggly fixture, and I wouldn't mind seeing him at CB with Lockyer out.
  • Can’t see us getting anything from this if we go there with a defensive attitude. 

2-0 to the Terriers 
  • edited February 2020
    RedPanda said:
    Where's Pratley gone? We missed him again during a niggly fixture, and I wouldn't mind seeing him at CB with Lockyer out.
    Could well be the game he returns, he's had a back injury thats been keeping him out - Havent seen anything mentioned

Although he did that very kind video for @ElthamAddick and was in his training kit (with Naby) so could well be available now himself
  • edited February 2020
    Can't see Sarr and Williams being subs; if fit, Sarr has to play. I do think it's time for McGeady to show us that he's a decent player. Purrington for Doughty is sensible. Hemed will be a sub (he's ahead of Chuks in the pecking order...).

Up the Harlton! ;-)
  • Pedro45 said:
    Can't see Sarr and Williams being subs; if fit, Sarr has to play. I do think it's time for McGeady to show us that he's a decent player. Purrington for Doughty is sensible. Hemed will be a sub (he's ahead of Chuks in the pecking order...).
    Sarr I'd agree, was a 50/50 from me whether to place him ahead of Pearce

Williams I dont see him starting - Made out of glass so will be nursed back a bit more after his latest issue

Throw him in at the Valley against Middlesbrough when we'll have home advantage
  • edited February 2020
    Who is this harlton you speak of? :wink:

I'd be a little more adventurous with the midfield but I expect yours is more likely to happen. As Bonne did nothing on Wednesday I think Green may well come in.
    Doughty definitely needs a break. 
  • Have a hunch that Matt Smith might start this one
  • Leuth said:
    Have a hunch that Matt Smith might start this one
    Forgot about Smith, put him on the bench at the very least over Aneke

Talal said:
    Who is this harlton you speak of? :wink:
    Haha, just couldnt get the formatting right in my rush to post today :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Comments from Cawley on Lyle Taylor below ahead of the game tomorrow... Didnt realise it but Cowley has also had Macauley Bonne play for him (loan @ Lincoln)

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/charlton-striker-danny-cowley-sold-17391278
    Our very own Tony Cascarino! 😃.
  • Macronate said:
    1-0 Huddersfield.

95th minute winner.

The goal will be scored when Phillips easily collects the ball which is punted upfield by a Huddersfield defender in the 92nd minute. As Phillips scans the pitch before kicking, he notices that no-one is looking and hides the ball under his goalie top to time waste. All of the other players are baffled by the disappearance of the ball and spend two minutes looking for it before Karlan Grant remembers this is a trick Dillon has played before during training at Sparrows Lane. Grant sneaks behind Phillips when he’s not looking and heads the ball downwards from under his jersey before cooly slotting home.
    Stick a bit of Benny Hill music on instead of the commentary, speed it up and the comedic value will lessen the frustration when it happens
  • Dreading this. 3-0 Huddersfield.
  • Just cannot afford to lose this, a draw would just about be acceptable, but please LB don't go looking for it. We know how that ends.

COYR go for it
  • Great preview as usual FA. 
    Following on from the shambles on Wednesday I really hope Bowyer takes a more positive stance tomorrow. 
    Huddersfield are hardly setting the championship alight this season so I would go out to attack them as much as possible. 
    Hopefully we can get the points to calm a few nerves. 
    2.1 Charlton. 
  • I’m scared 
  • edited February 2020
    I watched the Huddersfield game v Bristol on the red button Tuesday and they were well worth their win. If both teams carry their midweek performances into tomorrow's match we are highly likely to come off second best.

However nothing is guaranteed in the beautiful game and no one will have been hurting more than Bowyer or his players after that last minute gut wrencher on Wednesday. Just like the Forest reaction after Stoke I expect the team to do the same again and get something from the game because defeat must be avoided. COYRs
  • Sounds like Wednesday was grim, what’ll be different here? Especially as injuries to Williams, Naby and Pratley are not helping.

1-0 to us, last minute goal from Taylor.

Up the Addicks!
  • Sponsored links:

• Huddersfield's home form is poor, let's hope we get something 1-1.

21Huddersfield186572025-523
  • 9-0 to Huddersfield.
  • RedChaser said:
    I watched the Huddersfield game v Bristol on the red button Tuesday and they were well worth their win. If both teams carry their midweek performances into tomorrow's match we are highly likely to come off second best.

However nothing is guaranteed in the beautiful game and no one will have been hurting more than Bowyer or his players after that last minute gut wrencher on Wednesday. Just like the Forest reaction after Stoke I expect the team to do the same again and get something from the game because defeat must be avoided. COYRs
    Yes, those 2 results AND performances have rather killed the optimism I had on Tuesday afternoon!

But football is unpredictable, and the Championship is consistently inconsistent, which is what I'll console myself with on the train tomorrow
  • Personally I don't see the need for both Lapslie and Smith in the 18, I'd rather have Morgan on the bench than Smith (and he did travel up) but I'm not expecting it to happen
  • Another great preview FA , going for a 1 - 1 Draw to break the WLWLWL sequence , save the next W for next Saturday against Middlesbrough. Taylor with our goal.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Both teams need the points and both are terrified of losing. 0-0 all day long.