Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Minor clarification required regarding Charlton badge

edited February 2020 in General Charlton
Is the sword being held up in the Charlton badge being held up by someone's left hand or right hand? Are they facing towards the eye, side on, or away from the eye?

For me it is either

A- It is left hand aloft with us looking over the valiant knight's shoulder as he/she confronts the approaching horde (probably Milwall). Or 
B- It is right hand aloft with the Charlton player who wears the shirt symbolically raising his sword as he rushes into the fray

B- makes sense if you are wearing the shirt but A) makes more sense if you (as a Charlton fan) are looking at it on something/someone else.

Anyway, i did say minor.

Comments

• Options
    Left hand 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Both hands are holding the sword
  • Options
    Right hand. Normal picture shows the glasp of the fingers. 
  • Options
    The sword is the sword of St Paul. St Paul is usually (but not always) depicted as having his sword in his right hand, so that makes more sense.  However our version is taken from the City of London crest which does not have a hand. I'd be quite surprised if whoever designed our one gave a lot (or even any) thought to the religious iconography behind it. I suspect they just slapped a hand in there to differentiate it from the city's one.

To me, our 3D version looks more left handed. I'd expect a right handed version to show the fingers. But then the 3D is a comparatively new development. Ultimately, I don't suppose it matters. Just think of it however you want.
  • Options

Solidgone said:

Interesting, but I'm not sure either of these are helpful, because the quillions are the other way around.
  • Options
    This one clearly shows the sword being held in the right hand but the quillions on the crossguard are reversed compared with the current badge.

• Options
    Stig said:

Solidgone said:

Interesting, but I'm not sure either of these are helpful, because the quillions are the other way around.
    Indeed, I think that these are probably the right way around and the modern hand is wrong.  If you were in a sword fight, you'd definitely want the guard above your wrist facing upwards to stop your opponent's sword going up your arm. You might want the one at the front going down in the hope that they would be pulled in a downward direction when their sword slipped off the end.  
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Stig said:
    The sword is the sword of St Paul. St Paul is usually (but not always) depicted as having his sword in his right hand, so that makes more sense.  However our version is taken from the City of London crest which does not have a hand. I'd be quite surprised if whoever designed our one gave a lot (or even any) thought to the religious iconography behind it. I suspect they just slapped a hand in there to differentiate it from the city's one.

To me, our 3D version looks more left handed. I'd expect a right handed version to show the fingers. But then the 3D is a comparatively new development. Ultimately, I don't suppose it matters. Just think of it however you want.
    I always thought that the sword was something with Jack Cade and the Peasants Revolt?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

I always thought that the sword was something with Jack Cade and the Peasants Revolt?
    Nicked from the City of London in the sixties, in the hope of attracting city workers to The Valley. Quite how that would have worked, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    I hear CARD have reform as the Campaign Against Right-Handed Design.

• Options
    Definitely held in the right hand. Every gentleman knows that the sword is held in the right hand.
  • Options
    Both hands are holding the sword
    Have never looked at it like that before. Mindblown.

Image result for shocked gif
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    What an interesting point. I have never really thought about it before but I have always seen the hand the be as if the back of the hand is facing us which would mean that it is the left hand.

This would only make sense however if Charlton played in France and/or if it were a tribute to Napoleon. In England, holding your sword in the left hand would be suicidal.

However it would explain our poor defence this season. Maybe we should swap it around on a season by season basis: left hand if we are losing, right hand if we are winning.

But wait...............................there is another and indisputable answer and that is to be found in a Gene song (as with most answers to life's problems). The Charlton badge must be showing a left hand because the song 'Left Handed' by Gene clearly states in the first line: I have one single success to my name.

We have only ever had one success: our FA Cup win in 1947 therefore the badge must be featuring a left hand. The answer is as clear of day. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Is the sword being held up in the Charlton badge being held up by someone's left hand or right hand? Are they facing towards the eye, side on, or away from the eye?

For me it is either

A- It is left hand aloft with us looking over the valiant knight's shoulder as he/she confronts the approaching horde (probably Milwall). Or 
    B- It is right hand aloft with the Charlton player who wears the shirt symbolically raising his sword as he rushes into the fray

B- makes sense if you are wearing the shirt but A) makes more sense if you (as a Charlton fan) are looking at it on something/someone else.

Anyway, i did say minor.

There is another possibility i've just realised and that is that our knight has been thrown from his charge and is lying on his back and stabbing up as his enemy jumps on him. You'd have to say in that scenario you wouldn't back our man. The other guy probably has a shafted spear and has no need to get within stabbing range. Possibly he is about to be trampled as well by a destrier. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pork sword
  • Options
    ....calling Danny Boy
  • Options
    ....calling Danny Boy
    I always wondered why there was a helicopter in the courtyard, didn't think they had them in ww2.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    ....calling Danny Boy
    I always wondered why there was a helicopter in the courtyard, didn't think they had them in ww2.
    I always wondered the same, but according to Wikipedia .....

“During World War II, Nazi Germany used helicopters in small numbers for observation, transport, and medical evacuation.

Extensive bombing by the Allied forces prevented Germany from producing any helicopters in large quantities during the war.”
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    This one clearly shows the sword being held in the right hand but the quillions on the crossguard are reversed compared with the current badge.

Surely this is the correct way, if you are in a sword fight, you wouldn't want your opponent’s sword being deflected onto your sword holding arm? 
  • Options
    The “quillions” issue is, in my opinion, now more pressing than the left/right question.
    If the orientation of the quillions on our badge effectively weaken our defence, maybe that is subconsciously causing our defensive problems on the field!
    Maybe the club should consider redesigning the badge to have them the correct way round.
     ;) 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Mmmmm bit of a quandary moment now...in a couple of wks I was getting the sword/gauntlet as a tattoo on its own,no Cafc inc...do I go with the original then or the new quillions,never knew that’s wot they were called & had never heard that word before,now it’s just gonna do me head in which way to go with....Ahhhhhhhh...!!!

but will add,thanks for bringing it up...good topic...!!!
  • Options
    Have one on your chest the correct way round and the reverse on your back.
  • Options
    Mmmmm bit of a quandary moment now...in a couple of wks I was getting the sword/gauntlet as a tattoo on its own,no Cafc inc...do I go with the original then or the new quillions,never knew that’s wot they were called & had never heard that word before,now it’s just gonna do me head in which way to go with....Ahhhhhhhh...!!!

but will add,thanks for bringing it up...good topic...!!!
    The inside of a rippling bicep