Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New kitchens

13»

Comments

• Options
    Have any properties along your road had similar projects completed?
    If so, get on the planning portal and see what designer done theirs.
  • Options
    I did my own plans for my last house. Basically as ROTW says, I looked on the planning portal of Bromley Council and copied one of my neighbours extensions.
    Theres not much to it really and as far as I can remember the planning portal prompts you for various drawings and documents.  The dimensions and shapes may vary a bit but I think most people can do a design and place it in planning. I had to get a structure engineer though to work out loadings for the steels as I dont have the qualifications to do so. 

• Options
    Lurker said:
    We used benchmarx and the fella who built our extension fitted it.
    Good thing about them and Howdens is that if you find something broke, smashed or faulty you can normally get a replacement the next day. Heard some horror stories of people waiting weeks/months for replacements from Wrens.
    My builder also said that if you go in toward the end of the month you tend to find better deals as the salesmen are pushing to get their commission. Worked for us but no idea if that's the norm.
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but would you (or anyone else) recommend your extension builder? 

I’ve no idea how it all works, do you get a company who design and sort out planning permission or do you find an architect and then builders after?

We have quite a lot of work needed in our house and I’m not sure where to start. 

These are just general comments really. But you say there's a lot of work needed, so it's important to get it right.

A lot of builders will provide a "design and build" service. So they are a one-stop shop, if you like.  While this might be a cheaper option, it has potential issues. Inevitably, the builder will sub-contract some tasks and who will make sure the appropriate standards and safety are maintained?  I don't know if this is even possible for domestic builds but in such circumstances employing someone undertaking a kind of Clerk of Works role could be beneficial.

Alternatively, use an architect. Their role does not stop with putting the plans together. They will also assist with finding and selecting other contractors (they will have experience of working with the good, the bad and the ugly); they will manage the contract you have with the builders and construction professionals; and certify that the work has been completed. Of course, this comprehensive service costs but could be worth it in the long run.

So, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

• Options
    cafcfan said:
    Lurker said:
    We used benchmarx and the fella who built our extension fitted it.
    Good thing about them and Howdens is that if you find something broke, smashed or faulty you can normally get a replacement the next day. Heard some horror stories of people waiting weeks/months for replacements from Wrens.
    My builder also said that if you go in toward the end of the month you tend to find better deals as the salesmen are pushing to get their commission. Worked for us but no idea if that's the norm.
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but would you (or anyone else) recommend your extension builder? 

I’ve no idea how it all works, do you get a company who design and sort out planning permission or do you find an architect and then builders after?

We have quite a lot of work needed in our house and I’m not sure where to start. 

These are just general comments really. But you say there's a lot of work needed, so it's important to get it right.

A lot of builders will provide a "design and build" service. So they are a one-stop shop, if you like.  While this might be a cheaper option, it has potential issues. Inevitably, the builder will sub-contract some tasks and who will make sure the appropriate standards and safety are maintained?  I don't know if this is even possible for domestic builds but in such circumstances employing someone undertaking a kind of Clerk of Works role could be beneficial.

Alternatively, use an architect. Their role does not stop with putting the plans together. They will also assist with finding and selecting other contractors (they will have experience of working with the good, the bad and the ugly); they will manage the contract you have with the builders and construction professionals; and certify that the work has been completed. Of course, this comprehensive service costs but could be worth it in the long run.

So, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Unless you are planning something extreme most extensions are much of a muchness. Even the ones on TV are out there for all to copy. I know an a retired architect, he designed his own house. Its nice but I wouldn't say a great deal different to any of the surrounding houses, it has to fit in.
    I'm firmly in the fag packet drawing and a competent builder camp. Costs can ramp up dramatically once you involve the professionals. 
  • Options
    Thanks all, it’s slightly different from the others on my road as it’s a conservatory which I don’t really want but I’d like to retain the space by turning it into a room. 

Saying that, I’ve seen some modern designs of conservatory’s and they look pretty good but I’ve not been in one.