Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Art- emperor's new clothes racket?

2»

Comments

• Options
    mega bucks for paintings is objectively stupid but fashion of any kind has nothing to do with objectivity, that's very much the whole point
    it's worth £23M cos somebody ponied up that much, after presumably at least one other bidder thought it was worth nearly that much
    Last time it changed hands, in public, it fetched £2.9M in 2006 - tidy investment - if that's what it was, good luck to 'em.
    Whether those numbers are indicative of an appreciation of artistic merit is irrelevant.
    The whole notion of "artistic merit" is entirely ephemeral anyway.  If you don't like something or don't "get" it, so what? Don't buy it.  If you like it but can't afford it, so what?  Tough luck, that's life.
  • Options
    mega bucks for paintings is objectively stupid but fashion of any kind has nothing to do with objectivity, that's very much the whole point
    it's worth £23M cos somebody ponied up that much, after presumably at least one other bidder thought it was worth nearly that much
    Last time it changed hands, in public, it fetched £2.9M in 2006 - tidy investment - if that's what it was, good luck to 'em.
    Whether those numbers are indicative of an appreciation of artistic merit is irrelevant.
    The whole notion of "artistic merit" is entirely ephemeral anyway.  If you don't like something or don't "get" it, so what? Don't buy it.  If you like it but can't afford it, so what?  Tough luck, that's life.
    And if you can't afford and don't like it, touch 
  • Options
    And if you can't afford and don't like it, touch 
    I thought it was the touching that got you that restraining order, mate?  
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I’ve never really ‘got’ art in the gallery context. I would go to a gallery, spend appx 10 seconds in front of each painting and walk off - generally unmoved. 

The only exception was when I saw this in. Chicago. 

I was totally transfixed by it. Stood looking at it for about 15 minutes. I cannot really articulate why?!?
  • Options
    Ivan Albright painted the picture of the corrupted Dorian Grey for the 1945 film.  
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I was surprised to see art described as 'Emperor's New Clothes' because that's exactly how I have described it before myself. Great minds think alike. 

I'm going to listen to 'In the Gallery' by Dire Straits to celebrate. 

"He might as well be making toys, or strings of beads; he couldn't be, in the gallery"

"Then you get an artist who doesn't want to paint at all. He gets an empty canvass and sticks it on the wall"

• Options
    There is a market around art which is more about using it as a currency rather than a work of art. But that doesn't mean we can judge what is valid or not. We will all have different tastes.
  • Options
    The Louvre ran a competition and asked which one painting would visitors rescue if there was a fire.

The winner said, the one nearest the fire exit.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Is it in order to include a couple of examples of what is generally called Art?

Both by the same painter, and of course of interest to Charlton fans.

First the Battle of Trafalgar which hangs in the Maritime Museum Greenwich.

And to get you excited, naturally, a picture of a Train :smile:

The creator of these pieces was called Turner.

Was it worthwhile doing these? Maybe just as a hobby? Or deliberately to make a living?

They are ones of a kind, how much would you pay?
  • Options
    Not into modern art in the slightest and have a real dislike for the likes of Emin. Used to cause no end of debate with a couple of exes though, who were both really big on art. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rizzo said:
    Not into modern art in the slightest and have a real dislike for the likes of Emin. Used to cause no end of debate with a couple of exes though, who were both really big on art. 
    My brother has an art degree and I used to have similar debates with him about a lot of it. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I used to use that for exhibitions I was taking part in. 
  • Options
    I was taken with this one:

My work explores the relationship between gender politics and urban spaces. With influences as diverse as Camus and Joni Mitchell, new combinations are created from both constructed and discovered layers.

Ever since I was a child I have been fascinated by the endless oscillation of the mind. What starts out as triumph soon becomes corroded into a hegemony of power, leaving only a sense of decadence and the unlikelihood of a new reality.

As wavering phenomena become distorted through studious and repetitive practice, the viewer is left with a hymn to the outposts of our culture.

Marvellous bollocks.

Personally I like 'art' and am very glad 'art' exists.

• Options
    I like some modern art and some of it seems a bit pointless. I can see how Emin and Hurst create art to make you think but I don't think most of what they do is nice to look at. That is probably because the effect I am looking for is soothing and pleasing whilst other people may like being challenged and made to think.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I was taken with this one:

My work explores the relationship between gender politics and urban spaces. With influences as diverse as Camus and Joni Mitchell, new combinations are created from both constructed and discovered layers.

Ever since I was a child I have been fascinated by the endless oscillation of the mind. What starts out as triumph soon becomes corroded into a hegemony of power, leaving only a sense of decadence and the unlikelihood of a new reality.

As wavering phenomena become distorted through studious and repetitive practice, the viewer is left with a hymn to the outposts of our culture.

Marvellous bollocks.

Personally I like 'art' and am very glad 'art' exists.

That's all very well mate, but what did the website generate?

;)