Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'On their day'

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Kevin Lisbie played seven seasons in the Premiership, scoring goals despite often playing upfront on his own at 5'8", in a side set up not to loose games. He was a full international for Jamacia.  Not sure how much more he could have achieved.

Good shout Robin Friday. Great book.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Lisbie fulfilled his potential, had a long and good career. He hit some heights with us, mostly against Liverpool nearly 20 years ago

Mortimer, on his day was a player I couldn't believe played for us. Proper footballer 

Hargreaves is a great shout too, guy was castigated for being the player he was yet that game against Portugal he was everywhere and even pulling stepovers out of the locker in the late second half 

Drogba, if he fancied it was the perfect modern day centre forward pretty much unplayable 

Collymore as someone else said, had everything. Pace, strength good in the air and could side foot the ball harder than a lot of players could strike with their in step

Rommedhal is the one I'd like to punctuate this with. On his day, with everything in his favour we had no right to have him playing for us. Obviously pace was a headline of his but his fitness, stamina, close control and delivery was up there with the best in the world. Key point, this was on his day, definitely not every day. He could be the player who turns his back and hops over the ball when a full back steamed towards him with intent or he could be the Danish international, one of the stars of euro 2004 who skinned players like Gareth Barry, Ferrera at Chelsea, Ashley Cole and Gary Neville 
    I’m in agreement with Rommedahl. Pace on its own isn’t good enough but when he fancied it he could be unplayable. Walcott has been similar over the years. Can hit an account unbelievable hat trick but then play shit for two months. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    From a Charlton point of view I’d say Rommedhal. 
    Agreed but he did very well for Denmark.
    Sorry, but I wouldn't say he did VERY well for Denmark.
    He frustrated the living crap out of most fans of the Denmark team.
    He played a blinder and then we could watch utter crap from him in 2-3 games, before he played another blinder.
  • Options
    Barry Endean
  • Options
    From the OP, this should be 3 or 4 diffrent lists.   These are some of mine. 

Wonderkids who never "made it" to the level everyone thought.

Poyet
    Ravel Morrison
    Jack Barnby
    Ben Thornley
    John Bostock
    Cherno Samba
    Freddie Adu
    Nii Lampty
    Jeffers is a candidate for this list
    Theo Walcott

Players that if you only watched selective highlights you would think were world class, but obviously weren't. 

Rick Otto
    Paul Mortimer 
    Lee Trundle 
    Emile Sinclair
    Georgi Kinkladze
    All to different degrees but "on thier day" they were far to good for the level they played.

Players that were very good but one way or another didn't achieve what they should. 

Best
    Gazza
    Worthington
    Friday
    Bowles
    Could list 100s of people here.  Basically a list of players that injuries, drink and drugs took thier toll. 

Could probably but Tony Watt on all 3 lists. 

There is another list "very good/great" players who had great careers, that could have had better ones, for one reason or another.  Maradona probably belongs on that one. 
  • Options
    Possibly an unfair one as it was injury rather than attitude that did for him really but Micky Bennett
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    LenGlover said:
    He played a blinder and then we could watch utter crap from him in 2-3 games, before he played another blinder.
    Ok I'll rephrase it: He did a whole lot better for Denmark than Charlton.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Danepak said:
    LenGlover said:
    Ok I'll rephrase it: He did a whole lot better for Denmark than Charlton.

Correct
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Dmitri Payet - looked unplayable in the run up to the end of his time with West Ham. Gone into a bit of a decline now but my god what a player he was on his day.
  • Options
    Sarr! 

On his day has the ability to be a Premier League defender. 

On a bad day doesn’t deserve to carry the water. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sorry if its been mentioned but Andy Carroll