Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stoke City v Charlton Athletic | Sat 08 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Stoke City v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 8th February 2020 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Jarred Gillett

Introduction
It was on a late summers day when these two sides would last meet; 10th August would see Championship Football returning to our corner of South East London with Stoke City the visitors, carrying our our form from the previous week in Lancashire; Charlton would deservedly record a 3-1 win and so preserve a 100% record - This Saturday will see these two sides meeting for the reverse fixture, the Addicks this weekend travel to Staffordshire with their tails up, a first win of 2020 has been achieved, in what is month of relegation battles... Lets be greedy, lets get another!!

The Opposition
Name: Stoke City (21st) | Manager: Michael O'Neill
Ground: Bet365 Stadium
Previous Result: Charlton Athletic 3-1 Stoke City

Defeat in South East London would see the Potters pointless for their first two games (an opening day defeat against Queens Park Rangers coming the week before) - Nathan Jones had take over the hot seat with such high expectations, having all but guided Luton Town to the Championship it was felt that he too could revive Stoke City and return them to the top flight at the second attempt... Unfortunately though that aim was never close to being achieved, whilst they would achieve a draw in their next game it would take until the start of October before our opponents recorded their first win (a 2-1 at Swansea City).

With that sort of form it was no surprise that Nathan Jones would see his time at an end as Stoke Manager - Sacked on the 1st November he's a man who knows he has a reputation to rebuild... the work Gary Rowett (his predecssor) is sadly doing is a sign that the ex-Charlton coach has more than enough time on his hands to achieve just that!!

Back to our opponents, and it would take a week for Stoke to find their replacement; Michael O'Neill having built his reputation as Northern Ireland is known for someone who works miracles, certainly guiding the National Team to the 2nd Round of Euro 2016 is something I've felt he's never truly received recognition for - Yet Stoke are now benefiting from that defensive approach, they've gone from one of the worst statistically in the Division to one of the tightest, just the one defeat at home under his stewardship is a indication of how tough it'll be this Saturday!!... Whilst both teams remain in a relegation battle, we'll have to hope that O'Neill's attention will be distracted, as he temporarily returns to International duty in an attempt to take his country to a second successive European Championships.

Charlton Team News
With my previous Match Preview coming before the end of the transfer window it didnt really give me time to focus on the latest incomings - Aiden McGeady would be the sole player eligible for our game against Barnsley yet Bowyer would take the decision to preserve his lead meaning the Irishman must wait for his Charlton debut... He has been joined through the door by David Davis and Matt Smith... With one too many loan signings, you'd have to expect the youngster from Manchester City to miss out as he grows accustomed to our ways.

Elsewhere in the squad and it would be hard to argue that Adam Matthews isnt deserving of the Right-Back slot... With : Chris Solly being forced to bide his time you have to wonder when we'll see a player who has given so much back to the club, of course that time could be this week, whilst Matthews has proven his fitness there is certainly no need to risk it what with Nottingham Forest awaiting in midweek!!

Phillips
Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
Cullen | Pratley | Davis
Williams
Taylor | Green

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Doughty | McGeady | Forster-Caskey | Field | Hemed

Prediction
Its certainly a delight to see Bowyer having a selection headache again and will hopefully make us competitive like what we saw at the start of the season - As already mentioned; Michael O'Neill is a man used to digging deep to obtain the right result and see that happening once again this Saturday... Whilst the Addicks need wins to survive they also need to know when to take whatever they can... To return with two points back ahead of the Blackburn game next Saturday, wouldnt be a bad outcome by any means!!

Comments

• Options
    Getting harder to predict a team now but I'd be happy with that. Doughty probably needs a little rest anyway, he's played a lot for a youngster not expected to feature this season. 
  • Options
    My first away game in years, but I am feeling quite confident - I’m going for 2-1 win, with us 2-0 up, them scoring with 15 to go and the usual squeaky bum time for the last 15 + 9 minutes added on
  • Options
    I'm expecting a very tight game but genuinely believe we can nick it by the odd goal. 2-1 with goals from Taylor and McGeady with a 25 yard free kick.
  • Options
    Can’t wait for Saturday. Going for a 2-0 win. Taylor & Green. 
  • Options
    Going to be a difficult game this, Stoke may have been easily beaten by 'Wayne Rooney's Derby County' last time out, but they had victories over West Brom and Swansea before that.

Think I would be happy with a draw from this, but at least we will have some good attacking options on the bench.
  • Options
    1-1.
  • Options
    Bookies have us at 5/1! Wtf?
  • Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    About 12 of my lot going to this game and with a much stronger squad to pick from than of late I'm confident we will get three points. 
    3.1 Charlton 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm strangely excited for this one. Reckon it's going to be a bit of a battle - could be the perfect match for Davis to make his debut. Not sure how often we'll see him and Pratley starting in the same team, but this will be just the right circumstances. I sense another big results coming for the Addicks.

1-0, a late McGeady free kick or a penalty from Taylor.
  • Options
    2 defensive midfielders is enough to protect the back 4. Doughty for Davis as he and Green can get us up the pitch quick. Important if we are to snatch a break away goal.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    If this comes in il give half to upbeats 

Where did you do it? Not used to betting sites but will do the same with different scorer. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Talal said:
    shine166 said:

Where did you do it? Not used to betting sites but will do the same with different scorer. 
    Betfair, got Lockyer 1st or last too, 100/1 each 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Talal said:
    shine166 said:

Cheers, just done it but with Matthews last goalscorer also 100/1. If I'd read your edit before I'd have gone Lockyer first goalscorer as he's probably more likely than Matthews but never mind!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Apart from Stoke's hammering at Derby they've been on good form hence their price.
  • Options
    Been to 8 away games this season and yet to see a win (3 draws, 5 defeats) so not feeling very confident!

Not only that but in EVERY away game I've been to we've conceded exactly 2 goals, so we're certainly consistent in that respect...
  • Options
    Been to 8 away games this season and yet to see a win (3 draws, 5 defeats) so not feeling very confident!

Not only that but in EVERY away game I've been to we've conceded exactly 2 goals, so we're certainly consistent in that respect...
    But that was with the young inexperienced players playing, so now with a more experienced team I reckon we will lose 2-1  :)
  • Options
    ross1 said:

But that was with the young inexperienced players playing, so now with a more experienced team I reckon we will lose 2-1  :)
    The worst result was surprisingly at Wigan (2-0) where we actually had a pretty strong team, only missing Lyle at that stage. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    shine166 said:
    Talal said:
    shine166 said:

Cheers, just done it but with Matthews last goalscorer also 100/1. If I'd read your edit before I'd have gone Lockyer first goalscorer as he's probably more likely than Matthews but never mind!
    Gonna place the same bets for the rest of the season and see how I get on. 
  • Options

10th away game for me and hopefully our 2nd win
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    shine166 said:
    Talal said:
    shine166 said:
    Talal said:
    shine166 said:

Gonna place the same bets for the rest of the season and see how I get on. 
    Gonna do Lockyer first as well cos I'd be annoyed now if it happened!
  • Options
    Last Saturday was a must win, this is must not loose. 

I'll be a bit peeved if Bowyer rests anyone with mid week in mind. 

I am going for a Desmond, before last weekend when was the last time we scored the opposition didn't score at least 2?
  • Options
    Great preview and sorry to be the first bed wetter on the scene but this fixture could expose the serious weakness of our squad.

I was at the Valley for the home fixture and Stoke were very high quality but powder puff. Their new manager has put an end to that fault.

There is a chasm in quality and ESI can't keep relying on Bowyer and his management team to produce super-human levels of effort and commitment every week to scrape a result.  We were extremely fortunate against a very average Barnsley side who could easily have scored four or five goals. Gallagher has not been replaced with anyone near his energy and quality. Neither have Bauer, Bielik or Aribo for that matter.

Let's hope we scrape something again but if Williams, Lyle or Cullen get injured, the rest of this season will be a tough slog and it's an unnecessary  gamble in my view.
  • Options
    It's nice that we can no longer name the bench with certainty. I think there are fewer options from the start, but that should change with time. Really looking forward to getting the likes of JFC and Field fully fit so we have more options at the back of midfield. 

As much as getting players back, we're also going to need to see a change in mentality. We've spent the last 2-3 months sitting deep, generally battling in midfield, and trying to nick a goal from a set piece or counter. It has often resulted in us sitting deeper and deeper and conceding. But as we get better ball playing midfielders back, we really need to keep the ball better. Our best defensive performances last seasons were ones where we suffocated the opposition with our possession. Obviously it's a step up this year, but I still think we have players like Williams, Field, JFC, Cullen, Oz, and maybe Davis who can keep the ball and have a good range of passing. 

That transition, from a sheerly counter-attacking side to one comfortable in possession, will be a huge factor in us staying up. 
  • Options
    Stoke pay us back with a 3-1 whipping in their favour but we won’t have the possession or shots that they had back in August .
    a big wake up call that this season is gonna go to the wire 
  • Options
    6-0 to the Addicks with a female streaker scythed down by Naby in the 5th minute. Brian wot works at the chippy takes a wrong turn at half time toilet break and ends up pissing on the head of Stoke’s Chairman, who can’t remember havin gun had such a good time since Lord Tarquin’s 21st 
  • Options
    2-1 Charlton