Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adam Matthews - gone to Cyprus, and is in ManU's Europa League group (p18)

Comments

• He was definitely talking to Cardiff. 
  • Really pleased about this - great player.
  • Certainly one of the best defensive fullbacks in the division. Most wingers will lose their battle 
  • edited July 2021
    Glad he’s staying and it’s sorted earlier than previous seasons. He takes a little while to get going so with a full pre-season for the first time in 2 years he should really hit the ground running.
  • a proper solid right back, very glad he's stayed
  • Technically I think this is now his third stint at the club. Obviously not too sure about signing up without exploring his options, which is fine, and not keen on a second season in League One, hence the one year. All that makes sense to me and we've done well to get him back considering how good he's been for us at Championship and L1 level. Good signing
  • Better than Gunter in my opinion. 
    Although rather than having both of these players I would have preferred a younger right back as competition for Gunter 
  • Really happy about this. He has become one of my favourite players.

I remember when he signed he said his partner was London based so geographically we were a good fit. 

Why only one year? Hopefully a longer deal can be negotiated during the season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• very good news, really rate Matthews. Wish it had been a longer deal though.
  • edited July 2021
    Off topic slightly.. does anyone know why the rumours thread has been closed again... :(
  • Happy with this.
  • Matthews and Gunter is fine as the 2 right backs for a league 1 team, and means if we do get promoted we can both negotiate, whether he's happy to stay, probably as back up at that point, or he decides to move on.
  • Off topic slightly.. does anyone know why the rumours thread has been closed again. :(
    Closed for the England game. 
  • Great news. I wasn't his biggest fan to start with, but he got better and better over time. One of my favourite players now. A year kinda makes sense. He may have had offers from championship clubs, but wanted to stay local for family reasons. If we go up then we can renegotiate, if we don't then he's free to look around...again! Another important position ticked off. COYA
  • Off topic slightly.. does anyone know why the rumours thread has been closed again. :(
    Imagine it’s a clean up of yesterday’s s***show of posts. 
  • Excellent news, very very good RB at this level and with a full pre season in him I expect him to be a top performer next season.  
  • Very good news, think he's a great player. Some of his crossing last season was top drawer and will be vital for finding Stockleys big head.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought he was very inconsistent last season.  Good player but had some poor performances not helped by the players in front of him.

Glad he has signed.
  • edited July 2021
    Awaits moans about:

Why didn't he sign earlier?

Only a year?

Rebuilding last years failed team

I wanted signings but not this one

We need midfielders not full backs

Only the usual suspects Henry.
    Matthews is a solid performer and does show we are one of the better payers in League 1 ( behind Wigan and Ipswich?)

I'm convinced that like an iceberg there is a lot we don't see on the surface and Steve, Thomas, Nigel and JJ are using their vast network of contacts to built the best squad possible within what ever budget Thomas has made available.

Time is of the essence but we are getting there despite midfield playmaker to give Morgan competition and another striker to make four with Stockley, Washington and I presume Ronnie Schwartz to get through a 46 game season.

With the winger apparently failing a medical a replacement for Millar is still being searched for.
  • Thought he was very inconsistent last season.  Good player but had some poor performances not helped by the players in front of him.

Glad he has signed.
    Agree but think he improved getting a run of games under Nigel 
  • Matthews has been one of my fav players the last couple of years, really glad he has signed for this year it must have been a tough decision if he did have the lakes of Cardiff talking to him

Glad he has signed.
    Agree but think he improved getting a run of games under Nigel 
    Yes, Nigel used him as the first choice RB

It will be interesting how we use Gunter this season, reserve RB or right CB in a 3, which is where he played for Wales in the Euros
  • Good news, I was hoping he’d stay. I prefer him over Gunter.