Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

31st August 2020 - Time to judge ESI

I'm not going to go over old ground too much. Whilst obviously pleased that RD has gone and ESI have taken over there are still more questions than answers over ownership of the various assets. To me the transfer window was disappointing as I expected a couple of permanent transfers and definitely a striker added to the ranks. However it's done now and it is what it is. We have enough about us to stay up and I'm sure we will.

It's now time to look forward and time for us to see if MS and ESI can walk the walk. As far as I'm concerned by 31st August we need to know that ESI own the Club, The Valley and Sparrows Lane lock, stock and barrel. Nothing less. We need to see that squad issues have been adequately addressed during the summer. Currently we are too reliant on loanees. Once again we need a massive overhaul. In addition to losing the six loanees other players are out of contract. This can't happen every summer. We need more stability. Players we want to keep, like Tom Lockyer, need to be tied down to new contracts now. Promising youngsters like Alfie Doughty also need to be tied down, the vultures are already circling and we can't allow another Joe Gomez situation to develop. The rest of the management team (JJ & AM) need their situation sorted too. There is a lot to do.

I've been critical but it's true ESI have only been in situ a month. They have done some good things but conversely have also made some small mistakes (MS and his Twitter, the painful Bowyer contract negotiations). The jury is still out. The time to judge is the end of August. 

Comments

• Options
    If we judged Roland on the 31st of August year 1, we would have been quite happy.  Memories of Turram, Yann and the rest were starting to fade as Bob Peter's red and white army made a strong start.

If we judged Roland on the 31st of August year 2, we were very happy.  A strong finish to the season before and 2 wins and 2 draws from our first 4 games, we were all looking up, not down.

If we judged Roland on the 31st of August year 3 he would have been lynched if he came within a 10 miles of the valley on a Saturday. 

The same could be said of the "spivs".  August year 1, brilliant, August year 2 alright, August year 3 Simon Church and Sordell! 

I'll judge ESI every time anything happens, who they buy, who they sell, when they sack, who they employ.  Its not a snap shot of good or bad, its a trend.  Some times the bad is so bad that any good will be over looked.  See all 3 of our previous owners.

History well judge them, not today, not tomorrow, maybe not in 3 or 4 years.  But it will judge. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If we judged Roland on the 31st of August year 1, we would have been quite happy.  Memories of Turram, Yann and the rest were starting to fade as Bob Peter's red and white army made a strong start.

If we judged Roland on the 31st of August year 2, we were very happy.  A strong finish to the season before and 2 wins and 2 draws from our first 4 games, we were all looking up, not down.

If we judged Roland on the 31st of August year 3 he would have been lynched if he came within a 10 miles of the valley on a Saturday. 

The same could be said of the "spivs".  August year 1, brilliant, August year 2 alright, August year 3 Simon Church and Sordell! 

I'll judge ESI every time anything happens, who they buy, who they sell, when they sack, who they employ.  Its not a snap shot of good or bad, its a trend.  Some times the bad is so bad that any good will be over looked.  See all 3 of our previous owners.

History well judge them, not today, not tomorrow, maybe not in 3 or 4 years.  But it will judge. 
    I agree but I was talking short term, the immediate concerns. Can only judge on the issues as they currently stand. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If we judged Roland on the 31st of August year 1, we would have been quite happy.  
    I can assure you I wasn't remotely happy. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If we judged Roland on the 31st of August year 1, we would have been quite happy.  
    I can assure you I wasn't remotely happy. 
    Maybe you weren't but if we have that good a team, own the Valley and training ground, this August, most people will be. 
  • Options
    I agree with the points made and I’m confident it’ll happen. It might not be perfect, the obvious thing being Taylor might choose to move on. Not everyone will like Southall’s tweets or trust everything he says, and some won’t be convinced by the squad, but I think we’ll be in a good position as a club by August/September. I don’t believe they bought the club to attempt to pull off miracles without spending anything, and don’t think they’re lying about their ambitions for the training ground and academy.
  • Options
    Agreed... in the immediate short term then the closure of the August transfer window is always the proper time to assess these owners - Certainly cant question their cash credentials after just a month in charge

Survival is the aim this season

Lets achieve that and go into a potentially interesting summer