Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Workplace chat

2»

Comments

• The BBC really has gone downhill if this is the sort of garbage they feel belongs on their news website.  More of their one-eyed 'inclusivity' agenda that only ever seems to blame men.  The illiberal 'liberals' are constantly try to control what people say, where they say it and how they say it.  Wish they'd just piss off, stop hectoring and lecturing everyone and leave us all alone.
  • Missed It said:
    The BBC really has gone downhill if this is the sort of garbage they feel belongs on their news website.  More of their one-eyed 'inclusivity' agenda that only ever seems to blame men.  The illiberal 'liberals' are constantly try to control what people say, where they say it and how they say it.  Wish they'd just piss off, stop hectoring and lecturing everyone and leave us all alone.

That's what they want to achieve, they want the clicks from the outraged people who can then blame 'liberals' for their woes and tar everyone on the left with the same brush.
  • Chunes said:
    A little off topic... I once got called in the general manager's office on a Monday morning after going to a brunch with some mates from work that weekend that was then posted on social media. I was told off because apparently I had to "make sure everyone was included." There were about 40 people working there! Everyone!?

It wasn't until a few years later that I realized what he meant. Everyone in the office got an invite to his wedding except me. Turns out his wife, who worked in the same office, didn't want me there because I hadn't invited her out to that brunch two years ago.  
    Result. Weddings are as boring as fuck. 
  • Chunes said:
    A little off topic... I once got called in the general manager's office on a Monday morning after going to a brunch with some mates from work that weekend that was then posted on social media. I was told off because apparently I had to "make sure everyone was included." There were about 40 people working there! Everyone!?

It wasn't until a few years later that I realized what he meant. Everyone in the office got an invite to his wedding except me. Turns out his wife, who worked in the same office, didn't want me there because I hadn't invited her out to that brunch two years ago.  
    You monster!
  • There is a serious issue in there trying to get out.
    Any workplace that allows/encourages anyone to feel excluded is courting problems.
  • TelMc32 said:
    I take it we can also therefore ban talk about soaps, reality tv, daytime tv (especially, although definitely not restricted to, Loose Women), shopping and just general gossip! :wink:  
    Having spent my entire working life (BG -before goats) with mainly hairy arsed geezers, if you ban all that lot Tel, they’d have feck all to talk about!!!
    Haha...my working career has been mostly spent in teams of predominantly woman.  Not sure about all of them, but definitely a couple of the hairy arsed variety too!!  😉

I’m always happen to listen in, but haven’t got a clue what they’re talking about most of the time.  Have a couple that like sports, but in any decent group you’ll always find common ground and plenty to chat about.  Wouldn’t it be bloody boring if we all liked and talked about the same things every day!
  • 'Ann Francke said sports banter can exclude women and lead to laddish behaviour such as chat about sexual conquests.'

I don't remember that in her Diary.
    We need a button for, 'I'm laughing but also shaking my head'.
  • edited January 2020
    This feels like it could turn into the new #MeToo.
  • Sponsored links:

• This feels like it could turn into the new #MeToo.
    Except for them having basically nothing in common. 
  • iainment said:
    There is a serious issue in there trying to get out.
    Any workplace that allows/encourages anyone to feel excluded is courting problems.
    Of course, but I think the fundamental point here is, talking about football and cricket in front of women isn't one of them. This is mainly because there's probably just as many women who like football as men that don't. Each workplace is different, so what are we meant to do, find out things that our oppos don't like and ban any discussion on it from the workplace?
  • iainment said:
    Maybe it depends on the culture, but when my colleagues talk about stuff I don't care about I don't feel excluded. 
  • edited January 2020
    WRONG THREAD!!!
  • We have a Diversity, Inclusion & Wellbeing Manager at my work... I don't doubt that we are at risk of such ridiculousness. 
  • I sit in the middle of a Palace Fan and a Millwall fan.  I would be quite happy for all office football chat to be abolished!!

• Dazzler21 said:
    We have a Diversity, Inclusion & Wellbeing Manager at my work... I don't doubt that we are at risk of such ridiculousness. 
    Puts someone in a job I suppose...
  • iainment said:
    I agree.  I should be allowed to talk to whoever I want about whatever I want and not be dictated to by Ann Francke and made to feel like a second class citizen.  There is enough discrimination of football supporters by the police and government without it spreading over into my work environment.  What next? will I need to take down my CAFC calendar?
  • I end up speaking to myself. But then again, I am self employed 
  • iainment said:
    Of course, but I think the fundamental point here is, talking about football and cricket in front of women isn't one of them. This is mainly because there's probably just as many women who like football as men that don't. Each workplace is different, so what are we meant to do, find out things that our oppos don't like and ban any discussion on it from the workplace?
    No, but ensuring there isn’t exclusion is a task for management these days.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:
    Actually, completely agree with this. If you can make a workplace diverse, inclusive and equal (equal in terms of taking people's differences into account, rather than just treating everyone the same), then it's far better for business. That can be proved empirically. And can be explained better than saying crap like "ban football and cricket chat because it leads to laddish behaviour".
  • McBobbin said:
    iainment said:
    Actually, completely agree with this. If you can make a workplace diverse, inclusive and equal (equal in terms of taking people's differences into account, rather than just treating everyone the same), then it's far better for business. That can be proved empirically. And can be explained better than saying crap like "ban football and cricket chat because it leads to laddish behaviour".

It's just incredibly lazy and frankly insulting that she chose to pick out male behaviour, when I've seen female behaviour that has been 100 times more destructive and divisive than blokes talking about football.  I used to be the only bloke in an otherwise all female team and they could act like a coven of witches when they wanted to with their spiteful bitching and gossip.
  • Missed It said:
    McBobbin said:
    iainment said:

It's just incredibly lazy and frankly insulting that she chose to pick out male behaviour, when I've seen female behaviour that has been 100 times more destructive and divisive than blokes talking about football.  I used to be the only bloke in an otherwise all female team and they could act like a coven of witches when they wanted to with their spiteful bitching and gossip.
    My Mrs is now back in the UK working in an all female team. She has had a few occasions where she's felt excluded for one reason or other and she's only been there a couple of months. I put it down to people's terrible communication skills these days though, and can't see what management can do about it.

Just thinking to myself though, if I'm in company and I noticed someone isn't getting involved with the chat,  I'll either try and get them involved, or start up a conversation with them unrelated. 
  • DA9DA9
    edited January 2020
    Way back in the early to mid 90’s I worked for a large telecoms company near old street, huge open plan office with lots of small depts with varying roles. 
    There was a big drinking culture back then, and it always seemed to be the same people that organised a night out, but when they did, they invited everybody In the office via email etc, male, female, black, Asian, whomever, so if they didn’t show it was their outlook, no dramas, it kicked off once and caused a huge amount of resentment and head shaking, when a particular woman, who happened to be black, and who had a reputation as moody and unhelpful, sent out an email to arrange a night out, but only invited the other black staff in the office, seems she was all for inclusivity, but on her terms 
  • DA9DA9
    edited January 2020
    Missed It said:
    McBobbin said:
    iainment said:

My ex has worked for many years in large city law firms, she has hated the vast majority of her female colleagues,  she pretty much says the same as you, most of them are spiteful, gossips and down right bullies 
  • They key is to arrange a range of different events, some breakfasts, lunches, drinks after work, and being aware that everyone has their own motivation, personalities and things that make them tick. 

As long as there's something for everyone, you are perfectly justified if someone moans to tell them to shut up directly into their whiny face
  • We offered the girls to join the fantasy footy league. They rejected, its not our fault!