Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover: Alone Again Naturally

Two versions of the same song.

The 1972 Gilbert O'Sullivan original or the 1982 Nina Simone cover with radically re-worded lyrics.

Listen to both without prejudice and say which you prefer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FOhboyfn4Q

Comments

• Options
    Nina Simone, what a great voice the lady had
  • Options
    In a battle between kitsch 70s and school piano I'm going kitsch 70s every time.

I usually like lyrical re-workings, especially clever ones as Nina's surely is, but I'm afraid it didn't cut it for me. I guess I find it hard to associate with anyone being glad that their dad is dying.  
  • Options
    Well I’m going for old Gilby’s original version. I always thought  the song Nothing Rhymed was his best number tbh, but, although Alone Again is a bit ‘woe is me’, it’s still a decent song to these old ears of mine. Didn’t really like Nina’s version.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    ah, the song that redefined the way hip hop music used samples in the production. Biz Markie used a little of Gilberts version in a song. the case was brought to court and was classed as theft. from then on all music sampled in hip hop (and other music genres) would have to get permission before being released. 

anyway, my vote goes to Gilberts version. 
  • Options
    Gilberts'.

Sorry to say but Nina's sounds like a version that is not only poorly sung and produced, but has about as much sincerity as a Trump speech.
  • Options
    Shit song whoever sings it.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Shit song whoever sings it.
    Would tend to agree. 

My vote goes to GOS as the least worst!
  • Options
    GOS all the way. Knowing that Nina was a very hard, unforgiving person to work with it's hard to garner much sympathy for her (albeit clever) lyrics. And the piano is awful.  
  • Options
    Wow this one’s really caught the imagination of all the Lifers eh!😁 the internet is going to melt at this rate...
    Anyway, you can’t win them all, I’m glad to see the cover to cover concept back with us 👍🏻
  • Options
    GOS all the way. Knowing that Nina was a very hard, unforgiving person to work with it's hard to garner much sympathy for her (albeit clever) lyrics. And the piano is awful.  
    I don't know but I think she may have tried to be clever and make a reference to Gilbert and Sullivan. Is that oriental-sounding piano phrase something from The Mikado? Either way it was awful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like the voting will be close.
  • Options
    This is my favourite version of the song:

https://youtu.be/mmPYo1LuEEM
  • Options
    Clear win for Gilbert O'Sullivan
  • Options
    I prefer Nina's. It came over to me that she was really hurting about the death of her father. Whereas with GOS it sounded a bit more of a stereotypical song from the early 70's. That's how I read it anyway.
    And Nina's 'simple' piano playing wasn't as 'simple' as it appears. I think if you were listening to both over and over you'd get more and more from Nina's version but not so much from GOS's.
  • Options
    So weird.. I was in a restaurant tonight and heard, for the first time, the Nina Simone version ... total rubbish. 
  • Options
    Would have made a good tune for the returning boycotters:

We're feeling quite happy,
    'cos there's no more Duchateley,
    so we promised ourselves, that we'd treat ourselves 
    with a trip to the old Valley,
    We're home again, naturally!
  • Options
    Rob said:
    I prefer Nina's. It came over to me that she was really hurting about the death of her father. Whereas with GOS it sounded a bit more of a stereotypical song from the early 70's. That's how I read it anyway.
    And Nina's 'simple' piano playing wasn't as 'simple' as it appears. I think if you were listening to both over and over you'd get more and more from Nina's version but not so much from GOS's.
    There's the problem - never gonna happen.  Though Gilbert's version has embedded itself as a bloody earworm!
  • Options
    I'll vote for Peters and Lee.